Parents Meet report little DD...sigh!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Little DD (5 years old) had another in-house meet tonight...started at 7:30pm...after a full day of school and 2 hours of practice!:eek: She needed a 36AA to move up from level 2 to level 4 (this is what our gym does with certain young gymmies). This was her 5th meet as a level 2 so I was....cautiously hopeful. Her scores at the last meet were all in the 8's (up from 6's and 7's at the previous meet) so I thought she might have a small chance.

Here is how it went. We got to the meet right on time...no extra time at all(not a good start). They had let the girls in a little early so we were already in trouble. I had to pull all the curlers out of her hair in the lobby and apparently I pulled too hard because she started crying uncontrollably and having a HUGE meltdown!:confused: Thankfully HC came in and picked her up and settled her down. She went in, missed half the warmup and was still crying out on the floor.

By the time the meet started, she had settled down. First up was vault. She did a good job. She got her first 9 EVER...a 9.25! We were so proud!:D:D This is up from 8.85 I think and up from 5.0 at her first meet:eek:!

Next was bars. She did all of the skills and did them beautifully...for a 9.10!! This is up from 8.5 last meet and a 6.0 and spots on everything at her first meet! I never ever thought I would see my child get a 9 on bars...she struggled so, so SO hard for so many months!

So, I figure we are on our way to our 36...right?

Well, next up is beam. She gets up there and kind of acts like she has no idea what she is doing. She left out the arabesque, step kicks, oh MAN a whole bunch of stuff. Stayed on for the forward roll but did an extra tuck jump. She didn't fall off...she just sort of didn't do the routine!! I knew it was not going to be good and it wasn't. 7.75:( (down from 8.0)

Sad as I was for her, I could relax some because I knew she couldn't get the 36 no matter what she did on floor. She went out and had a beautiful warmup but when she did her routine that was judged :eek: she rolled forward on her headstand and everything else was just okay. She got an 8.5 (up from 8.3 last meet)

Ended up with a 34.6AA I think. So...we will keep on keepin' on with the level 2. She has another meet (our gym's big meet that we host) in January. She is also increasing her hours in January since she is turning 6 in February. So, we'll see if the extra hours help.

This is one of those times where I have to remember how far she has come, especially considering the physical challenges that she has. It's so hard for me to see her not meet her goal. She really wanted to move up out of level 2. (and I wanted her to, too!).

I plan to get my video up tomorrow since I am officially on Christmas break now! I will post a link when it is up. Thanks for reading. It does me good to share the joys and challenges of the gymnastics life here.:)

She is so young and has many years of gymnastics ahead. It sounds like she just needs a meet where she can put it all together. Seems like pretty tough requirements from the gym though. We have girls who have never scored a 36 at any level!
She will have her day. Good luck!

She is so young and has many years of gymnastics ahead. It sounds like she just needs a meet where she can put it all together. Seems like pretty tough requirements from the gym though. We have girls who have never scored a 36 at any level!
She will have her day. Good luck!

You are SO right about her having many years ahead...I hope!:) I hope she sticks with it because it has been so very good for her in so many ways. And yes, very tough requirements at our gym. Thanks for the kind words.:)

Very good scores for such a tiny child, I don't think mine could've focussed for long enough to doa whole meet at that age. Plenty of time for L4+.

Yay for her!! She did great! What huge improvements she had made. I think the gyms 36AA requirement is insane, but what can you do? She is doing very well and like everyone says, has lots of time!

Great vault & bar scores! It will all come together in a meet and she will probably score a 37! My DD has never scored a 36 and she is a second year l8... she thinks this is the year for her.

Good for her going out and doing well on floor after a rough beam! Her scores look great too!! Congrats to her.

What huge progress she's made since the beginning! Our gym doesn't do any competing until Level 4, so I'm not even sure what level 2 does, but that has to be intimidating to compete. Kudos to her! and some 9s to add to her list of accomplishments! Way to go!!

Yay

That is awesome!!! :) My dd is a level 2 as well and 6 year old. :) That beam routine is something else. DD has done the roll well in each, but kind of got lost on the kicks. The floor-ugh-I hate the music and the headstand. Last meet she rolled out of it and got an 8.2, I think. DD loves the bars. :) She has been getting 9's on it. Her coach is working with her now on the level 3 bars. :)
I think your dd did amazing. :) My other dd is 10 and training a level 4. There is a huge leap from 2 to 4. :) DD age 10 learned a lot in level 3 that level 4 is building on. :)

AWESOME JOB!!!!!

WOW! She did awesome!!! I also totally agree that the requirements of 36AA to move up to level 4 are ludicrous--especially when she is just 5 years old. My personal opinion would think that scoring 36 AA's in level 2 is no indication that you will do well in Level 4.

To put it in perspective, my dd started gymnastics very late--took her very first gymnastics class at the age of 9. A few months later she was then invited to preteam and then made level 4 within 5 weeks. She had all her skills for level 4 but never scored a 36AA. She did respectable at meets and this year was moved up to Level 5 (Level A for the Mason Dixon League) that she competes in. The bottom line is that your daughter is still sooo young and she has plenty of time to do wondrous things in gymnastics. I think that competing at the young age of 5 just adds unnecessary pressure of numbers, scores, and expectations to kids. At this age they should be having fun and learning new things and challenging themselves, but most of all having FUN.

Your daughter did awesome and is improving very rapidly. She will get to level 4--there's no real rush!! So sit back and enjoy the ride. Slow and steady is the way to go.

Wow, I think those are amazing scores for a little one just starting out! I can tell you my DD's gym did not do anything til L4 and my DD wasn't even prepared going onto team at 6. Her first competitions were all very interesting, LOL, but always got better and better. How nice your DD gets some of that meet experience so early on and a chance to show off those skills (and awarded for them) that others only learn and show off in practice, LOL

You will see improvements at each and every meet for the most part. Sometimes judging is a little lower or higher, but you should notice improvments and soon she will be doing L4. Sounds like she already has a lot of skills for it so it should be a nice transition. But big ((HUGS)) sounds like she is doing very well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back