Parents Mock comp - little brag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
My DD's class had their mock competition today, and she came first! She forgot to bring the score sheet home, but hopefully I'll be able to get a copy from someone. I wasn't there as I was at work, and another mum had said she would video it for me, but it sounds like she didn't after all, so I won't get to see it. There is one girl in the class who always scores the highest and gets placings, so it was quite a coup to beat her. I suspect my DD scored highest as she was the only one who didn't fall off doing the forward roll on the beam. I've seen them practising the roll and it seems to be a hit and miss affair for all of them, so whether she stayed on by luck or skill I'm not sure! Anyway, she has never come first in anything before, so I'm sure it is a great thrill for her, and of course I'm very proud of her.

That's fantastic! I bet she was just thrilled and I know you're proud of her. Hopefully you'll find a parent who may have gotten some video so you can see some of it.

Yay for your DD. Good for her!

Darn work, just has a way of getting in the way.. Im sure you will just enjoy seeing the next comp even more!

I met up with one of the mums this morning. It sounds like my DD won not so much through technical skill but because all the others messed up in some way - falling off the beam or bar or getting their routines mixed up. Still, competition isn't totally about technical skill, staying focussed is a big part of it, and that's always been my DD's strength, she really struggles with other aspects such as flexibility. I feel a bit sorry for some of the other girls, though, it sounds like a few of them were crying, either at the time or later on. I can't really get annoyed at the mum who was going to video it for me as I heard she had a terrible day, locking her keys in the car and then locking herself out of the house! It will be interesting to see how the real competitions go. I'm sure a lot of it is going come down to who can stay on the beam on that darn forward roll!

Good job to your dd.

Your right, being able to focus (and remember the whole routine) is an important skill. It will come together for all the girls at sometime.

And that poor mom. I've hap those days!! Once I locked my keys in the car at a meet far from home, and not in the best neighborhood. Missed about half the competition waiting for the lock guy the insurance company sent to help me out (or into my car!!). Funny, dd did her best vault of that season and even got a medal, but I didn't get to see it.

Still, competition isn't totally about technical skill, staying focussed is a big part of it, and that's always been my DD's strength, she really struggles with other aspects such as flexibility.

Personally, I think mental strength (focus, etc) in any sport is important. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't show that under pressure, it doesn't matter much. Sounds like your girl has that part down well. Good job!

I finally got a copy of the score sheet. She didn't just win through the others falling off the beam. She came first in bar, and second in vault, with good scores. I'm sure the other girls will do better next time, they're all very capable and did pretty well last year. It is just over a month to go until the first competition so they have some time to practise yet. Also, they still need to put the floor routine to music. They hadn't done that yet because the floor routine was so late arriving they had only just managed to learn it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back