Parents My little squirrel is just starting pre-team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my littles ds who is five and a half just got invited to join pre-team. He is so excited this kid loves gymnastics in no small part because he adores his older brother who is on team and will compete next year as a level 5. My little one is a wiggly little squirrel and to be honest I was pretty shocked that they invited him on to pre-team we thought maybe when he was seven he would be able to focus and have the ability to make that mind body connection. He does have great natural flexibility, fearlessness, a sweet teachable spirit, and is always smiling and happy. He was so excited and we truly trust the great coaches of the boys team so we said yes. I do trust his coaches and they have a proven system of success for their boys team and yet I guess my question is for those who have watched their boys especially go from squirrely little boys to focused little gymnasts it is so hard for me to imagine how he is going to compete level four next year which is the goal. My older son was 8 when we started and already focused and so much more mature. What was it like for your boys when they first started? How have you watched them learn this sport?

No real advice but to say I'm going through the same thing. My older dd was 8 when she joined pre-team and then moved to the L5 team (competing at 9). My little one moved to pre-team shortly before turning 6 and will be competing this fall. It is strange to see her out there as she has a very different personality than older sis (less serious, more fearless). I have no idea what the fall may bring when meets begin - but I've decided it is good that they are so different in both personalities and strengths. It keeps me from comparing one to the other. :D

thank you! this is what I wanted to hear, that we arent alone in watching the younger one who is so diferent follow the older one. You are right, I rarely if ever compare my kids since they are so diferent. like I told one gym mom its not about the olympics for me its that I hope he doesnt forget he is climbing the rope and try and wave to his friend also since he lives in dread at this moment of having
me drop him off I get to watch him and honestly find it endlessly entertaining. yesterday he swung around like a little top on the rings holding one ring in one hand and trying to get up to reach the other ring. finally his coach had to rescue him. So funny :D

My ds started team at 6, and it was rough at first. He did many a push-up until he figured out who was in charge :) He is a goofy, class-clown type, with lots of energy. He had a really hard time at first, but now, at 10, he is able to focus and work hard because he sees the results. Now, he still has days (or weeks) where he struggles, but it is not as often. Trust your coaches, and work with them to help in any way. My ds has really grown into an amazing young man, (and decent gymnast.) The lessons they will learn go far beyond the gym!

Congrats :) you have some fun ahead of you with 2 boys in gym!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back