WAG Only 1 meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In NY the qualifying score is between 32-33 depending on level. Usually nearly all of our girls qualify at the first meet. The ones who don't aren't off by much. Coaches wouldn't have them at level if they didn't think they could score 8s or better.

wow! you'd think in a small state especially that they would allow out of state meet scores to qualify! but maybe that's exactly why- they are so small they need to encourage people to stick around because there are so may other places nearby.

wow! you'd think in a small state especially that they would allow out of state meet scores to qualify! but maybe that's exactly why- they are so small they need to encourage people to stick around because there are so may other places nearby.

Yes VA & PA are stacked with meets.

Just to be clear -- all of this depends on the individual state. Different states have different rules. What flies in your state may not fly in someone else's. The coaches, of course, generally know what the rules are (both the written and unwritten ones) and what their priorities are, and plan their meet schedules accordingly. :)

Out-of-state acores can be used for qualifying to state. They just need to be sent in.

That's didn't work for a girl on our team in MD. Coach didn't know PA score wouldn't count. She tried everything it was a no go. Granted this was 4 yeas ago but it happened.

Yes, the qualifying score in MD is really low. It makes for huge States. I wish they would change it.
We have the same qualifying state scores. That is why we have 3 state meets until you get to level 7. Up/North State, Down/State, Early States.

One meet to qualify early in the season is still rough. Especially at lower levels 3 and 4.
My guess is they went with an early meet to have some wiggle room to get another in.

But again if you are averaging less than 8 per event. Should they qualify? Probably not.

My guess is they went with an early meet to have some wiggle room to get another in.

But again if you are averaging less than 8 per event. Should they qualify? Probably not.
I agree with you. The girl I referenced was actually pretty upset after States. She was embarrassed and quit the sport.

I'm just saying for L3 & L4 many of the girls are competing for the 1st time and still using the early season to work out jitters. Also MD is notorious for lower scoring in that region. It wouldn't be uncommon for a gymmie to go from a score not qualifying in December but perhaps placing in an event or two at States.

ODDs first season she only had one meet prior to states. She needed a 36 to qualify (she was bronze), and we assumed she wouldn't. She did though and had a blast. There was a second meet on the schedule though if she hadn't hit the mark- we just couldn't afford two that first year.

That would be a lot of pressure. At dd's gym, all the compulsory meets are in state so they have 5 chances to qualify. This year every single optional meet is out of state, but apparently we are in a state where that doesn't matter (NC).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back