Parents Other L3 or L4 parents - how many on team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was reading another thread and someone mentioned that 12 girls on an L3 team seemed like too many.

So, that made me think - we have 35 on our L3 team, with roughly the same on L4.

There are 4 main coaches, each with an assistant. The girls warm up together, but then are split into four groups, who then rotate through apparatus specific training. So, the ratios are still good - never more than 5:1. There is definitely one Head Coach, though, so there is still a hierarchy to follow.

How do these levels work at your gym?

Last year we had 7 L4, 4 at L3, 2 @ L5, 3 @ L6 1 @ L7 & 1 @ L8.

Small team, move ups are in a couple weeks, not sure how many will be where.

We currently have:

L3-6 girls
L4-8 girls
L5-22 girls.

Last year we had 20 in L4, and most of them moved up to L5.

We have one head coach and 5 other coaches. The coaches who are younger/have less experience coach the lower levels, and head coach works with some L6 and our optional team girls.

We don't have a L3 team but we have a developemental team with 7 girls the L4, 11; L5, 19; L6, 4; L7, 5; L8, 5; L9, 3 and prep, 3.

For us it will vary just depending on how many kids we have at that certain time. As in any gym in some years the teams will be bigger, some ages we will have less kids and so on. For level 3-4 team we aim for around 10 kids to a coach. It is usually around 8-9 kids. Sometimes it may be 12 as there would not be enough for two separate teams.

How big the team/class is is not as relevant an issue as the ability of the coach. Some coaches could have 5 or 6 kids and struggle to keep them active, busy and learning while giving them the attention they need. Other coaches can have 12 or 13 and still make sure each kid is busy, working and progressing all the time, while giving lots of correction and spotting.

I think we have around 10 girls on our pre-team (which is L3 equivalent), they usually have 1-2 coaches depending on staffing.
Our L4 has 8 girls with 1 coach
7 on L5 and 1 L6 workout together 1 coach
L7 (2), L8 (3), L9 (3) make up a group with 1 coach

We don't have a L3 team (it is Pre team) I am not sure how many there are but looking at their mailboxes it seems like at least 25

L4 has A LOT at least 30 (they train on a different schedule then the optionals, so I really never see them)

L5 has about 15

Prep Gold (competed in place of L6) has about 15

L7 has 5

L8 has 8

L9 has 3

L10 1

I am not sure how the compulsories work as far as gymnast/coach ratio but the Optionals train together. They are split in two groups with two coaches.

We have a larger team but our coach ratio isn't very good. We had 22:1 and this year we will have 20:1 for Level 5. Our level 6-8 are 15:1

Don't even ask why our ratio's are so off. We are always scratching our heads.

We moved to a much smaller gym this year so...

Pre-team (L3): 6 girls
L4: 2 that will compete (one other girl trains with them but is not expected to compete as far as I know)

The entire team going up to L9 only has 14 members total.

Last year (just ended last week) we had the following:

L2: 3
L3: 8
L4: 6
L5: 2
L6: 1
L7: 3
L9: 1

Plus we had a couple of floaters who used to compete but couldn't this past year for one reason or another, but they were still around the gym keeping up their skills.

This coming year, starting in September, our HC wants to get the training groups more consistent in terms of keeping levels together. In the past, 2 or more levels would end up in the same training group because of age factors or kids not being able to all come at the same time/day. She's trying to streamline it more. DD's group last year was 4 Level 3s and 3 Level 2s training togethr, b/c they were all ages 6 - 8. The older Level 3s trained either as a separate group or with the Level 4s.

DD is moving from Level 3 to 4, and some (not all) of the others are also moving up, plus we have team tryouts from Aug 30 - Sep 3, and we will get some new team members from that - mostly Levels 2 and 3 I expect.

We have a larger team but our coach ratio isn't very good. We had 22:1 and this year we will have 20:1 for Level 5. Our level 6-8 are 15:1

Don't even ask why our ratio's are so off. We are always scratching our heads.

Whoa, there's gotta be something illegal (in the gymnastics world) about that, not to mention very unsafe. :eek: No offense but I'd be up in arms about that. No way I'd leave my kids in a gym with that kind of ratio. I'd find another gym!

We have 9 L3s (ages 5-8), and 10 L4s (ages 6-8), each with two coaches. I find that at these ages, the second coach is needed - not only to help with skills, but to keep the girls moving. On the rare instance that I am alone with the L3s especially, I spend a lot of time dealing with "she cut me in line", "she is being mean", "they won't let me have a turn", etc...

Last season Js gym had 24 L3's and at least 15 L4's. The new gym has maybe 6 L3's and 10 or 12 L4's. J trains L5 with 4 other girls her age. They have older L5's but I like how they break them out into small groups.
I love that the new gym is so much less chaotic! Its smaller space wise but they make more efficient use of time.

Last season Js gym had 24 L3's and at least 15 L4's. The new gym has maybe 6 L3's and 10 or 12 L4's. J trains L5 with 4 other girls her age. They have older L5's but I like how they break them out into small groups.
I love that the new gym is so much less chaotic! Its smaller space wise but they make more efficient use of time.

Yes! I am loving being in a smaller gym. I wasnt sure about it at first but with so few girls Midget gets lots of one on one time with the coaches and it really shows with how much she has been improving and learning.

The HC made a rule that there is only aloud 10 kids in a group, so there is 3 groups of 10 for pre-comp (level 3), and 2 groups of 10 for the level 4 team..each group has 1 coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back