Parents Overtime on beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
As my daughter was doing her level 4 beam practice the other day, she went over time and I overheard her Coach say that to her that she would not only receive an overtime deduction but would also lose credit for her dismount since it occured during the overtime period. Is this accurate? Or maybe more of a scare tactic. I'm hoping more of a scare tactic, as my kiddo goes overtime on beam more often than not!

I have always heard just the overtime deduction. Last year younger DD's beam coach told the girls not to rush, that it was better to take the over time deduction than to stress, rush and fall.

Credit for the skills... just the OT loss or some of our girls wouldn't have scored mid 9s on routines that were OT by 3-4 required skills

Reactions: sce
Either meant as a scare or the coach isn't aware, but it's a flat .10 deduction for overtime on beam. The new girls shouldn't even worry about it. Believe me, if they start rushing, they will lose far more than .10! :)

No. It is a flat .10 in USAG. There is a "rhythm" deduction as well based on the overall routine which may or may not also be incurred and there is a "concentration pause" deduction if they pause more than 2 seconds before a skill.
However, the OT deduction is very common for the girls to get in compulsories and the girls should not be worried about that, especially in the beginning of the season.

Thanks all. I get the need to stress being in time but I also would rather see a clean and controlled routine versus one rushed. Which could lead to so many more deductions. Unfortunately beam is not my gymmies strongest event so she takes it slow and steady. We don't compete for a few more months so hopefully speed and confidence will come with more practice and time!

Don't know why your DD's coach would have said that. DD's gym's principal rival is well known for having their compulsory girls take that .1 in exchange for showing all of their skills to full advantage.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back