Coaches Owner insecure

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

I have a question ... I started working for someone about a year ago ... I am a very ambitious person, motivated, I stay extra hours, clean when no one doesn't, I'm probably the only coach that scrubs the toilets, I volunteer for extra work and I do this without asking for any more money. I do it because I was always taught to do more then expected. It shows your a good worker and it builds character. Well the person that owns the gym seems to think "I'm trying to take over " and he has a couple of other employees that feed him this info (employees that have been there longer then I have). They don't clean don't stay longer unless they are getting paid etc. I feel like they are doing this because they don't have it in them to go the extra mile. I'm more disappointed that the owner has limited me to only doing certain things because he thinks I'm trying to take over. I have never had someone accuse me of taking over because I work harder. Should I be concerned? How would you guys handle this. Every place I ever work admired me for my motivation and effort to do more then the norm. At this place I feel like I'm being punish for doing something wrong??? Please I would like advice.

Some state labor laws hold a business owner responsible for every hour an employ puts in.... even off the clock. In a state with laws like tha.t you could accumulate these 'afterhours' doing whatever you pleased while at the gym and then file a wage claim with the labor department.

So I wouldn't want you to put in off the clock time for that issue alone as I could get stuck paying for a year's worth of afterhours I never asked you to do. It may seem crazy, but that's a law put into effect to protect employees from reacting to suggestions with free work in hopes of being offered a better position. In accordance with that law, business owners are expected to monitor their employees and send them home at the end of their work shift.

Some state labor laws hold a business owner responsible for every hour an employ puts in.... even off the clock. In a state with laws like tha.t you could accumulate these 'afterhours' doing whatever you pleased while at the gym and then file a wage claim with the labor department.

So I wouldn't want you to put in off the clock time for that issue alone as I could get stuck paying for a year's worth of afterhours I never asked you to do. It may seem crazy, but that's a law put into effect to protect employees from reacting to suggestions with free work in hopes of being offered a better position. In accordance with that law, business owners are expected to monitor their employees and send them home at the end of their work shift.[/qu

Thanks but it's just not about working after hours, it's about just being a loyal employee and feeling punished for it.

Talk to your owner! No matter what job I've ever been in, whether it was working at McDonalds, or the gym, or teaching middle school, I have always taken the time to talk to my boss. I like to know them and they know me, on a professional level of course, but I want to be sure I feel comfortable if I need to approach them at any point, and I want them to feel comfortable talking to me about anything also. Open communication prevents MANY misunderstandings, and clears the ones that weren't prevented up quickly.

I have a question ... I started working for someone about a year ago ... I am a very ambitious person, motivated, I stay extra hours, clean when no one doesn't, I'm probably the only coach that scrubs the toilets, I volunteer for extra work and I do this without asking for any more money. I do it because I was always taught to do more then expected. It shows your a good worker and it builds character. Well the person that owns the gym seems to think "I'm trying to take over " and he has a couple of other employees that feed him this info (employees that have been there longer then I have). They don't clean don't stay longer unless they are getting paid etc. I feel like they are doing this because they don't have it in them to go the extra mile. I'm more disappointed that the owner has limited me to only doing certain things because he thinks I'm trying to take over. I have never had someone accuse me of taking over because I work harder. Should I be concerned? How would you guys handle this. Every place I ever work admired me for my motivation and effort to do more then the norm. At this place I feel like I'm being punish for doing something wrong??? Please I would like advice.

please... come by me so that i may punish you. :)

This is how I became a salaried employee...keep working.

Thanks but it's just not about working after hours, it's about just being a loyal employee and feeling punished for it.

You're right. It is about being a loyal employee and doing an exemplary job with every task you are given, because without that there's no way I'd offer any increase in responsibilty. I agree with you about the extra hours, but you and I being in agreement isn't going to change anything, and our agreeing does nothing to prevent an employee from filing a wage claim.

I think there's some merit to the notion that aside from doing the extras for the greater good, there expect those extras to be noticed and form the basis for being given more hours or a higher level group of kids. So let's say somebody who feels they're ready to move up in the gym hierarchy puts in those afterhours for a year and at the end of that year is still given the same hours and assignment as the prior year. Isn't it fair to say the'll grow resentful and quit, and then file a wage claim to receive at least a part of what they perceive due them.

Another question is what is necessary to get promoted by a head coach or club owner. I can gauge a person's loyalty by how they treat the role they've already have. If they walk through the door the moment their group is to start and spend warm up time settling in, or if they need to arrange for a sub on a frequent basis, worse still is if they call me and say they can't make it and can't find a substitute...... It wouldn't matter to me if they worked, for free, an additional 5 hours a week. I can tell if somebody is doing a good job by what I see them do with the kids and if they have their heart where I want by the way they follow any instructions governing the hours they are paid for. I know it isn't as simple as that, but neither is hanging out and picking up loose ends for the boss.

Reactions: JBS
You're right. It is about being a loyal employee and doing an exemplary job with every task you are given, because without that there's no way I'd offer any increase in responsibilty. I agree with you about the extra hours, but you and I being in agreement isn't going to change anything, and our agreeing does nothing to prevent an employee from filing a wage claim.

I think there's some merit to the notion that aside from doing the extras for the greater good, there expect those extras to be noticed and form the basis for being given more hours or a higher level group of kids. So let's say somebody who feels they're ready to move up in the gym hierarchy puts in those afterhours for a year and at the end of that year is still given the same hours and assignment as the prior year. Isn't it fair to say the'll grow resentful and quit, and then file a wage claim to receive at least a part of what they perceive due them.

Another question is what is necessary to get promoted by a head coach or club owner. I can gauge a person's loyalty by how they treat the role they've already have. If they walk through the door the moment their group is to start and spend warm up time settling in, or if they need to arrange for a sub on a frequent basis, worse still is if they call me and say they can't make it and can't find a substitute...... It wouldn't matter to me if they worked, for free, an additional 5 hours a week. I can tell if somebody is doing a good job by what I see them do with the kids and if they have their heart where I want by the way they follow any instructions governing the hours they are paid for. I know it isn't as simple as that, but neither is hanging out and picking up loose ends for the boss.

I think you guys are mis-understanding some of what I'm saying. I'm not interested in filing a wage claim??? or neither do I hang around after hours and volunteer to do other stuff so I can get the "Favor of the Boss" and move up. Everything does not have a "Motive" behind it. I love what I do and enjoy it, I just didn't understand why this new guy would challenged something positive that's going to help all of us out. But listening to you guys now I see. If he's thinking like some of the comments I'm reading ... my question is answered ::laughs:: There really are some naturally hard working people that enjoy their work and willing to go an extra mile without a "Motive"

I think you guys are mis-understanding some of what I'm saying. I'm not interested in filing a wage claim??? or neither do I hang around after hours and volunteer to do other stuff so I can get the "Favor of the Boss" and move up. Everything does not have a "Motive" behind it. I love what I do and enjoy it, I just didn't understand why this new guy would challenged something positive that's going to help all of us out. But listening to you guys now I see. If he's thinking like some of the comments I'm reading ... my question is answered ::laughs:: There really are some naturally hard working people that enjoy their work and willing to go an extra mile without a "Motive"

I totally get it. I admire people that go the extra mile, and there's no way I'd suggest you'd file a wage claim. That doesn't change what the boss is thinking about, and that's a problem,, but perhaps you can read what's been written and understand he has reasons for the way he's reacted.

I totally get it. I admire people that go the extra mile, and there's no way I'd suggest you'd file a wage claim. That doesn't change what the boss is thinking about, and that's a problem,, but perhaps you can read what's been written and understand he has reasons for the way he's reacted.

Have a meeting with the owner. Ask if the things you chose to do are ok with him. Explain that you take pride in what you do & want to do all that you are able to continue allowing the company/club to thrive.
He may ask you to log your hours as he does appreciate what you are doing! Or he may explain why he doesn't want you to do it.
In either case you have explained why you are passionate & he has explained his side, being the owner.

Best of luck to you. I too am one of those employees that has my heart into all I do & I want our club to shine from my athletes on the floor through to the bathroom floor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back