Parents PA Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was hoping to get some direction. My daughter is 6 years old (turned 6 in May). She made the invite team at her gym and they feel if she wasn't afraid of the bars she'd make team! My question is: No gym in PA seems to be very competitive, it could be because i'm not looking correctly.

I believe my daughter is very, very good! Everyone tells us that she is great - she isn't as good as the 9 and 10 year olds on her team but she just only turned 6. I feel so confused by all the information? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing? Not pushing her too hard but still being proactive enough for her? Any other PA Mom's out there? Thanks.

Well, how far are you willing to drive or are you willing to move? PA is a huge state. If you live it Pittsburgh, me telling you about a gym in Philadelphia isn't going to be much help.

Also, what do you mean by "the gym isn't competitive"? If she is just starting out, it might be better to be in a gym that is a bit more laid back at first.

I live in eastern PA and there is a gym that is pretty well known about an hour from me. But I've also heard some pretty tough things about that gym - like homeschooling being required at the team level (might just be Sr. team), kids as young as 4 or 5 being yelled at and pushed (not physically, but pushed to do things too fast), etc.

We are in a gym that is kind of middle of the road. It doesn't produce Olympic gymnasts, (but there are only 5 of those every 4 years anyway), but we do perform well in meets and have girls that make it to the national level. That said, we don't train as hard as some other gyms I've read about on here.

I suggest just take it slow and don't get so hung up on the gym or its "competitiveness" at this point as your dd isn't even on the team yet.

First of all, let me concur with everything kayjaybe said.

As far as "competitive" gyms in PA, both Parkettes and Prestige are in the middle of the state (Allentown/Lancaster) and I think they're both nationally known training programs. I'm sure there are others. But really, if you feel like your daughter's gym isn't going to "cut it" in the long term for your daughter, and assuming you don't plan on moving, check out the other gyms in your area. Look for ones who have taken girls to Elite (if that TRULY is your goal for her... make sure you know what that entails... think giving up everything in your life except for gymnastics for a decade) or ones whose girls have gotten Division I Scholarships. Ultimately, if the gym is "good" for you (your daughter is happy and making progress) then in my mind it's a "good" gym. If she goes to a gym that isn't a good fit for her, she will start to hate it and quit, and then it won't matter if she had the potential to be the best gymnast of all time.

We're in PA, DD's gym is brand new (less than a year old) and I happen to think it's AMAZING. It has yet to prove itself as far as girls going to Nationals (maybe this year...), getting scholarships, etc. but I honestly would not switch my DD for anything. It is the right place for us.

Kayjaybe and any other PA gym moms... PM me and tell me what gym your DD goes to and what meets you guys go to. Maybe we will cross paths this season. My DD is competing level 7 (no more compulsory music! Yea!).

I'm a former PA gym mom and there several great gyms as well as many good gyms in the state. If you would give a general area, we could give you options. The thing to remember is that gym should be fun and a fit that meets your dd's needs. If she having fun and progressing, then let her be when she is.

My question is: No gym in PA seems to be very competitive, it could be because i'm not looking correctly.

Another PA gym mom here. There are LOTS of competitive gyms in PA- the question is where do you live- Eastern PA, Western PA, Central PA? I believe (and I may be wrong) that PA is the state with the 3rd highest participation in USAG in the country- just behind CA and TX. I may be going on old data... but nevertheless there are TONS of gyms in PA- from Elite gyms to rec and everything in between.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back