Parents Please recommend a good camera!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sure this thread has been done before, but the only ones I can find are pretty dated.

Please tell me what good camera recommendations are for meets! My budget isn't huge!

I am going to be making videos for the girls of photos throughout the season and would like to start with some nice action shots. What I have now is good (Nikon D40x) but old, and not great.

What cameras do you love for gym pictures? :)

The D40 is decent enough probably, the low light capabilities are probably lacking compared to some of the newer, more expensive models you could upgrade to. That said, it's still probably handles light better than your average point and shoot camera. The D40x doesn't shoot video, and a lot of the newer models do, so if you're wanting actual footage not just photographs an upgrade might be a good choice. If you don't need it for video, a new lens is what I'd go with as well.

Thanks so much for the replies! I would like to keep my camera and look for a new lens if that's a possibility! I know nothing about photography... what kind of lens should I look for? Would all Nikon lenses be compatible with my old camera?

Where do you rent lenses from? That might also be something worth looking into! Thanks! :)

Thanks so much for the replies! I would like to keep my camera and look for a new lens if that's a possibility! I know nothing about photography... what kind of lens should I look for? Would all Nikon lenses be compatible with my old camera?
Amazon.com: Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Built in Motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: TAMRON: Camera & Photo

That's a zoom lens with sufficient speed for shooting gymnastics. There are higher end brands available as well, but they'll cost more.

Sigma brand:
Amazon.com: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD Large Aperture Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera: Camera & Photo

Nikon brand:
Amazon.com: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo

lensprotogo.com and lensrentals.com both rent lenses.

The 70-200 as previously mentioned should suit you fine.

in general for your camera, you need lenses that have the auto-focus motor built in, otherwise you'll have to manually focus which is a bear.

The above mentioned Tamron is on my wish list. if you have a local camera shop ask them if they rent lenses. Otherwise there is borrowlenses.com

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back