Parents 5 year old pre team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Get a second opinion for sure. My daughter started at a rec only gym. Most kids had no interest in learning the owner suggested another gym for my daughter. We moved to a gym with a team but took Rec classes. Again most kids were not interested. She did move up to an advanced rec class though. She ended up getting invited to the team tryout. There were a million girls there and she was not selected. It seemed odd to me that the things they were asked to do at tryouts were never drilled at the adv rec level prior. My daughter was pretty bummed about not making the team but more so because she just wanted to do more gymnastics and 1.5 hours a week didn’t seem enough for her. We then called a different gym and they gave her an evaluation. They put her on the level 3 team immediately even though she was still missing many of the skills. She just finished her first season got all her skills has a real passion that is actually being fulfilled and challenged . She is moving up to level 4 next season.
This is our experience too! She was asked to do vault in her tryouts but had literally never done that in her class. I have inquired with a few more and explained her skills. If another gym sees her potential we will supplement her and get more individualized training. She does have a drive and desire to get better and learn more skills so I’ll definitely see what else we can do for her. Her current gym is large and might be more body type focused- she isn’t the typical skinny Minnie gymnast but is stronger than most 5 yr olds I see!

This is our experience too! She was asked to do vault in her tryouts but had literally never done that in her class. I have inquired with a few more and explained her skills. If another gym sees her potential we will supplement her and get more individualized training. She does have a drive and desire to get better and learn more skills so I’ll definitely see what else we can do for her. Her current gym is large and might be more body type focused- she isn’t the typical skinny Minnie gymnast but is stronger than most 5 yr olds I see!
Lol exactly the same. I would have been ok if she was learning form but the coaches were mostly chasing others around babysitting. My daughter was 6 at the time and has now been doing gymnastics 18 months. Trust your gut. Mine could not vault at all and just got a 9.5 in states.

Is there a reason that you are specifically looking for a team experience for her at this point? Is she very passionate about gymnastics in particular and wants to do more of it or are you more concerned that she is getting bored and isn't being challenged where she is now?

Team gymnastics is a whole different ball game and if your child is not the one specifically asking for more time and a bigger challenge, pushing the issue and switching gyms etc may drive her away from the sport. You might want to ask the gym or whomever evaluated her for preteam what class most of their new kids come from and what is their preferred age. They must feed their team from some of their own classes, I assume.

I would be more inclined to ask if there is a higher level class she could take, ie move up with the 5-6 y/o and go from there. I feel like chasing the team experience at such a young age can go south pretty quickly.

Is there a reason that you are specifically looking for a team experience for her at this point? Is she very passionate about gymnastics in particular and wants to do more of it or are you more concerned that she is getting bored and isn't being challenged where she is now?

Team gymnastics is a whole different ball game and if your child is not the one specifically asking for more time and a bigger challenge, pushing the issue and switching gyms etc may drive her away from the sport. You might want to ask the gym or whomever evaluated her for preteam what class most of their new kids come from and what is their preferred age. They must feed their team from some of their own classes, I assume.

I would be more inclined to ask if there is a higher level class she could take, ie move up with the 5-6 y/o and go from there. I feel like chasing the team experience at such a young age can go south pretty quickly.
Im just interested in getting her more hours and more of a challenge. Some gyms do not compete at pre team but just do more hours and training in the gym. So because her current gym is full to add another class we might supplement in another class elsewhere. If getting her more training and experience and she decides she doesn’t want to compete that is completely fine. She just isn’t interested in giving up on it now

I'd ask the coaches why they didn't think she was ready for pre-team. Was it her gymnastics skills, her ability to listen, or her attitude? All those might be factors.

If she's bored with the "little kid" equipment, you could ask if she could take a class with the older kids. There are some developmental restrictions on kids her age, but working skills on the bigger equipment might be enough of a challenge.

That said, my kid was mis-leveled when she was first offered a team position, and she was bored out of her mind that first year. If you think she's not being treated seriously, you should probably try for another gym.

I'd ask the coaches why they didn't think she was ready for pre-team. Was it her gymnastics skills, her ability to listen, or her attitude? All those might be factors.

If she's bored with the "little kid" equipment, you could ask if she could take a class with the older kids. There are some developmental restrictions on kids her age, but working skills on the bigger equipment might be enough of a challenge.

That said, my kid was mis-leveled when she was first offered a team position, and she was bored out of her mind that first year. If you think she's not being treated seriously, you should probably try for another gym.
The feedback was very skill related. It had nothing to do with listening or attitude. I inquired with them prior to evals if I should even bring her. They said yes bring her. I was a little upset because I would not have even brought her if they thought she wasn’t ready.

I don’t know about your gym specifically, of course. However the most serious gyms will also look like they are not doing much with actual skills for years. To a non gymnast it definitely looks like a lot of simple things going on in. There is not much actual tumbling or use of big equipment etc. It is all shaping work/small building blocks to eventually become skills/stations of little jumps, summersaults/handstands/cartwheels etc. It was years, for example, before my daughter actually did a backhandspring at gym, but when she did it was beautiful. I felt impatient and wondered why she wasn’t doing them (saw other kids flipping when they weren’t really supposed to yet, etc). My daughter was a rule follower so never did anything until coaches said to, including at home. The process looks boring and slow. But that’s how gymnastics progresses so that when they do skills they are done correctly since when they compete they are judged on the details. Most kids can “do” skills way above where the group is, but they cannot do them perfectly so they aren’t allowed to yet. So sometimes those kids you see who appear less capable are actually developing all the little components to eventually do skills beautifully. Maybe when they asked her to vault they were looking more at her shaping, how she currently holds her shapes/jumps etc and not necessarily whether she has the actual vault? I coach swimming and I can see so much in a tryout and I’m asking them to do things they haven’t done before. But I can see how they hold the water, their body awareness etc and I get a good feel for where to start them off pretty quickly (like a few minutes of watching). I don’t know of course! Just a thought. As a non gymnast I had to learn real patience watching the gymnastics progression. And most of those kids my daughter began with who were “throwing” bigger skills at 4 and 5 quit or stayed behind in levels to fix things because it’s so hard to learn the correct shaping if you’re already doing things before you’re taught the correct way. And of course, it could also be that your gym isn’t the right one for your daughter! Just don’t be surprised if they move very slowly at all of the serious gyms.

the most serious gyms will also look like they are not doing much with actual skills for years. To a non gymnast it definitely looks like a lot of simple things going on in. There is not much actual tumbling or use of big equipment etc. It is all shaping work/small building blocks to eventually become skills/stations of little jumps, summersaults/handstands/cartwheels etc.

This is so true. I was very ignorant of the training process, and both my daughter and I got frustrated by how she was being "held back" in compulsory in favor of detail work. Then, of course, she gets to optionals, picks up reams of skills within a few months, and most only require minor tweaking because she spent so long on shape and form in the previous years. That's when I finally "got it" and realized what a dummy I was, lol.

This is so true. I was very ignorant of the training process, and both my daughter and I got frustrated by how she was being "held back" in compulsory in favor of detail work. Then, of course, she gets to optionals, picks up reams of skills within a few months, and most only require minor tweaking because she spent so long on shape and form in the previous years. That's when I finally "got it" and realized what a dummy I was, lol.
Absolutely! I used to get on my daughter a bit for not trying more things like the other girls when they had any free time. Turns out she moved the quickest through the groups and did very well at meets bc although def not first to do things, she did them so well. She really focused on the details,drills and progressions. I look back and feel badly for making her feel bad for not being more of a “risk taker” when she was younger. I didn’t get it for a couple years!

look back and feel badly for making her feel bad for not being more of a “risk taker” when she was younger. I didn’t get it for a couple years!
There's definitely a learning curve for parents, too!

I just think in many ways, gymnastics is different from other sports. For instance, my son has been swimming since he was five (now in high school). Once he learned the four different strokes (fly took a while!) that was pretty much it, and the subsequent years were all about refinement and strength building. The mechanics come very early.

In gymnastics, I've learned that the refinement and strength-building are front-loaded because of the complexity of the skills these athletes perform. To be successful and safe, taking time early on is not just smart, it's vital.

All of this to say to OP: the early years can be subtle in terms of skill progression, because you might not see the pieces come together for a few years. That said, not all programs are equal, and some may be a better fit for your daughter in the long term. It's hard to tell when you're just getting started in the sport, and you might think that if you're not seeing her work on "big" skills, she's not doing much of anything at all. I'd learn more about what they are training at the lower levels and also look at what the training is like for the older athletes who a further along. Might help you see the bigger picture.

Either way, good luck!

There's definitely a learning curve for parents, too!

I just think in many ways, gymnastics is different from other sports. For instance, my son has been swimming since he was five (now in high school). Once he learned the four different strokes (fly took a while!) that was pretty much it, and the subsequent years were all about refinement and strength building. The mechanics come very early.

In gymnastics, I've learned that the refinement and strength-building are front-loaded because of the complexity of the skills these athletes perform. To be successful and safe, taking time early on is not just smart, it's vital.

All of this to say to OP: the early years can be subtle in terms of skill progression, because you might not see the pieces come together for a few years. That said, not all programs are equal, and some may be a better fit for your daughter in the long term. It's hard to tell when you're just getting started in the sport, and you might think that if you're not seeing her work on "big" skills, she's not doing much of anything at all. I'd learn more about what they are training at the lower levels and also look at what the training is like for the older athletes who a further along. Might help you see the bigger picture.

Either way, good luck!
Yep! I am a full time swim coach so gymnastics was so different!!

From looking at your child's bridge - she may lack shoulder flexibility (it looks like it is workable however). In a strong competitive program with plenty of athletes to choose from, your daughter may be overlooked for this.

Ideally every child I select would have excellent shoulder flexibility - but I don't have that much choice, so I choose kids I can work with. I also take the odd kid who is exception in other areas that matter, but have shoulder flexibility that I suspect may not get to the desired level even with all the work (unless parent was committed to seeing a physio for individual specific assistance).

Shoulder flexibility is not just about the bridge - poor shoulder flexibility means an athletes has to learn to compensate their handstand shape because they cannot create a straight line through the shoulder joint. This means the most fundamental skill is compromised and every skill that builds upon it - so it carries over to most skills.

I also wanted to comment on her bridge, but decided not to since I'm not a coach or medical professional. But now since someone else mentioned it I want to add, please limit how many bridges and backbends she does at home until you can get her into a proper training. If her shoulders are not flexible enough and she is compensating with her lower back, this could lead to serious back issues in the future. Speaking from experience, as my DD had to end her gymnastics career because of this.

From looking at your child's bridge - she may lack shoulder flexibility (it looks like it is workable however). In a strong competitive program with plenty of athletes to choose from, your daughter may be overlooked for this.

Ideally every child I select would have excellent shoulder flexibility - but I don't have that much choice, so I choose kids I can work with. I also take the odd kid who is exception in other areas that matter, but have shoulder flexibility that I suspect may not get to the desired level even with all the work (unless parent was committed to seeing a physio for individual specific assistance).

Shoulder flexibility is not just about the bridge - poor shoulder flexibility means an athletes has to learn to compensate their handstand shape because they cannot create a straight line through the shoulder joint. This means the most fundamental skill is compromised and every skill that builds upon it - so it carries over to most skills.
This isn’t her best bridge- she can do better and hold for 10 secs and do a kick over with a spot. She has the splits on her own and that is without extensive training

The feedback was very skill related. It had nothing to do with listening or attitude. I inquired with them prior to evals if I should even bring her. They said yes bring her. I was a little upset because I would not have even brought her if they thought she wasn’t ready.
So you are upset that they couldn’t tell you they didn’t think she was ready prior to the evaluation. That’s the point of an evaluation.

So you are upset that they couldn’t tell you they didn’t think she was ready prior to the evaluation. That’s the point of an evaluation.
My 4.5 year old cannot even remotely do the skills her sister can and I’d never bring her to be evaluated. I’m upset because there is a discrepancy between what teachers think is ready and what the owner thinks is ready. I would not have brought her to put extra pressure on her or made her feel bad about herself If she just wasn’t ready- I’d rather just keep it fun for her.

My 4.5 year old cannot even remotely do the skills her sister can and I’d never bring her to be evaluated. I’m upset because there is a discrepancy between what teachers think is ready and what the owner thinks is ready. I would not have brought her to put extra pressure on her or made her feel bad about herself If she just wasn’t ready- I’d rather just keep it fun for her.
It’s hard when they don’t get chosen for things, but it gives you an opportunity when she is young to make her see it’s not a big deal and that many times we will try for something we don’t get. If it’s treated like a non issue at 5 (we are getting an evaluation to see where you currently are and what to keep working on) then it’s not pressure. The rec teachers are generally teens or less experienced at gyms and they of course don’t have the same experience of the team coaches. So they send those they think “might” be ready to be evaluated by team coaches.

It’s hard when they don’t get chosen for things, but it gives you an opportunity when she is young to make her see it’s not a big deal and that many times we will try for something we don’t get. If it’s treated like a non issue at 5 (we are getting an evaluation to see where you currently are and what to keep working on) then it’s not pressure. The rec teachers are generally teens or less experienced at gyms and they of course don’t have the same experience of the team coaches. So they send those they think “might” be ready to be evaluated by team coaches.
Eh I l’d rather avoid it because there is no need to put any pressure on at this age. I only did because they said I should- if they told me no I would not of taken her.

Is the gym you're at known for a highly competitive team program (if you're not sure, go to mymeetscores.com and look at their recent scores)? If so, that will really make a difference. As someone said, if they have their choice of athletes they can be picky. In our area (major metro), there are gyms that will take just about any girl for their Xcel Bronze or preteam/L1/L2 teams because they have the space/coaches and the weeding out will occur naturally. Others gyms can't and are a lot more picky. If she truly has the talent and the desire, team will come. One note about our experience - preteam is BORING. My daughter hated it and lasted only a few months. Rec was more fun for her and once she was back in rec she got picked for team again, but this time was able to bypass preteam. So all that to say - gyms do things differently for a variety of reasons so if you really want preteam, go have her evaluated elsewhere. Good luck!

Is the gym you're at known for a highly competitive team program (if you're not sure, go to mymeetscores.com and look at their recent scores)? If so, that will really make a difference. As someone said, if they have their choice of athletes they can be picky. In our area (major metro), there are gyms that will take just about any girl for their Xcel Bronze or preteam/L1/L2 teams because they have the space/coaches and the weeding out will occur naturally. Others gyms can't and are a lot more picky. If she truly has the talent and the desire, team will come. One note about our experience - preteam is BORING. My daughter hated it and lasted only a few months. Rec was more fun for her and once she was back in rec she got picked for team again, but this time was able to bypass preteam. So all that to say - gyms do things differently for a variety of reasons so if you really want preteam, go have her evaluated elsewhere. Good luck!
Yes our team is large and highly competitive. At minimum I will get her another rec class at another gym to supplement what she is currently doing as the current gym is full for extra classes. If another gym sees her potential and can get her more training for potential team then we will do that. Just looking to develop her skills more to see if this is a dream she wants to pursue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back