Parents Practices ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks for the feedback. Our gym seems to do bars only once a week and with new skills that some of the girls are aiming for with the new season, it doesn't seem to be enough to help them improve the skills. Being that "repetition" is the best way to improve its kind of hard when their not getting that repetition.

Thanks for the feedback. Our gym seems to do bars only once a week and with new skills that some of the girls are aiming for with the new season, it doesn't seem to be enough to help them improve the skills. Being that "repetition" is the best way to improve its kind of hard when their not getting that repetition.

Hmmmmm....that isn't going to work!!

That's rough! My DD only gets a single hour long private a week (she's not on a team or in a rec class). Of course she works bars first every time because she knows that's really not even enough for someone not on a team.

I've never seen a gym only do bars once a week. It's an odd choice.

My DD does 3 nights a week. She gets in bars 2 to 3 of those nights each week depending on what classes are happening in the gym and what events are available. If it's not available she will sometimes be on strap bar or pit bar instead. She typically gets to two events plus conditioning every practice, sometimes 3 events when possible. Vault is not as frequent and if she does it's mostly drills 'til closer to a meet. Bars and Beam get the most time I'd say since floor is often occupied by rec classes. What level is she and how often does she go?

Bars, beam and conditioning happen every practice. Floor happens two out of three practices and vault one out of three.

Sometimes they do drills and strap/pit bar instead of regular bars other days also during the week and that's great! But being that my daughters team only offers 6 hrs a week for the xcel program it doesn't seem like enough hours/ practices all together. Especially seeing what all your DD hours are.

We lucked out when the gym moved to the current location. Most of rec now happens "upstairs." The only class that comes downstairs regularly is the advanced rec class (because the vault runway upstairs is too short for girls planning to move up to team).
Upstairs has: 2 high beams, 2 low beams, a set of uneven bars, 2 junior bars, a L3 Vault stack, the one and only air track, and a carpet bonded floor area (not quite full size).
Downstairs has: 3 high beams, 1 floor beam, 2 sets of unevens and a single rail "low" bar, a competition spring floor, and a double ended vault runway (L3 at one end and the table at the other).

My dd7 goes 6 hrs (2x3hrs). As far as I know she does all events each time. Dd9 goes 2x4 hrs, her group alternates between beam and ballet each practice. They also do a tumbling rotation which may be done on floor lines in prep for beam.
Regarding hours, at least half the kids in dd7 group do the optional third day (so 9 hrs) and honestly I can't tell which ones. Although I only ever see bars since that's their last rotation...

Have you asked the Coach? Sometimes it's best to ask the person in charge of lesson planning. There may be a reason why or they already know where their lesson weaknesses are. Programs are sometimes in a period of transition or are always tweaking as they notice where their trouble areas are.

DD goes three days a week for 4 hours each day. They do 2-3 events the first two practices and all 4 the last practice. It seems like vault is done the least. So each event they normally practice 2-3 times per week. I have noticed that bars and beam get the most practice days with vault getting the least. It seems like they normally have 30 mins to 1 hour of conditioning two days a week and about two hours of conditioning on the 3rd day. They have a two week schedule on the wall inside the gym that shows how they rotate each event. I will have to take a closer look at it next time I am in there.

We have 4 hour practices. My kids say they do conditioning, bar, and beam every practice, and then the do vault one day and floor the other two days.

I would say it totally depends on the time of year.
Prior to competition (regular training season)
3 events per day. My dd trains 6 days a week, but the 6th day is just 3 hours and its only for new skills.
So the other 5 days. Rotates 3 events with one event each day having a longer time then the other events. Trampoline is also in there once a week as well.
Never doing vault and floor on the same day.
They condition every day usually for an hour at the end and warm up is usually 30 minutes at the beginning.
They have a written program for each event and if they don't finish the program they have to go back and finish whatever they missed so they could be there a bit longer then normal. (My dd is usually there longer on bars as she has a long program) Bars probably get the most time for her.

My dd goes 4 times a week does bars and beam most times, either floor or tumbling on fast track every session, conditioning and drills every session, they only vault once a week except in the run up to a competition, but even then they sometimes just vault into a foam pit, I think they limit vault due to the impact on growing joints.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back