Off Topic QLD- cyclone Yasi

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

Well with all QLD has been through with the floods, now coming is cyclone Yasi, winds reaching up to 300km, almost as catastrofic as cyclone katrina, everyone from 400km of the centre of the cyclone needs to be evacuated, people in NSW and NT will be affected.

Forgive my teary typing. Yes it's expected to be the worst in living memory if not ever to our far northern neighbouring cities.
The eye of the cyclone alone is over 50 km - total width over 500 km. It's a category 5 storm and expected to create storm surge over 7m higher than the highest tide ever experienced before. It's also expected to remain category 5 even by the time it gets 350 km inland.
Couldn't help but cry over 2 intensive care babies having to be evacuated before they were as stabilised as doctors would have liked.
It hit category 5 a little earlier than expected so some unlucky people had their flights cancelled and they were ordered home. Only storm surge areas are evacuated - the rest (if they didn't get away in time) have been advised to bunker down at home as they may be as/more safe than in the evacuation centres anyway. They keep warning/estimating around 10 hrs of the worst, then the eye will pass over, then another 10 hrs of the worst back again. It won't be realistic for rescue service to act until the storm has passed. Sounds terrifying for people to be left with no power or communications hiding under tables and mattresses with their children for that length of time - even if their roof stays on throughout!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart and prayers go out to all effected. This weather is really making me think. I hope all remaining will be safe!

Floods (in QLD, NSW, and Victoria), cyclones, bushfires, and a wicked heatwave here in Sydney... I'm an avowed atheist, but you'd think someone up there hates us. :/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back