Results

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The South Essex girl must win level 4, presume it was the same girl that got 66 at alpha. Some of these good level 4s have given up which is a shAme. The very small numbers of compulsory gymnasts doesn't seem right. How can there be only 3 level 4 girls in the whole of the london region.

A lot of the London clubs don't do compulsory grades.

The east region had two joint first winners for level 4 both from south essex. The girl that got 14 on bars was the one who came second at alpha factor. The east region is very strong if Sydney only came 7th with 62.1, which is still a great score which in most other regions would get you in the team

have you a link to the results anywhere yet for East?

DO you think its the changes to the compulsories? Made it so tough there's a lot dropping out? Flic on beam at L4 (and giants?) must mean some of these kids have been putting in stupid hours for at least 2 or three years, and they're only 8/9.

I also think the increase in difficulty means smaller clubs can't give kids a chance either- no pits/pit bars means no giants, fewer hours means they can't take kids up to L4/ L3 then pass them over to a HPC centre. So not so many of the less obvious kids who bloom a little later, or kids that have been at lower hours, less pressure clubs until they're ready.

The very small numbers of compulsory gymnasts doesn't seem right. How can there be only 3 level 4 girls in the whole of the london region.

I agree. The comps I've been to there have been some amazing kids who aren't doing compulsories. I can imagine one or two not wanting to do the hours and dropping down, but even in age NDP6 there are some huge scores. Any 7/8 year old that can score over 60 must have potential? I think we're missing out on a huge talent pool somewhere along the line. London must have about 10 HPC centres capable of producing compulsory gymnasts.

DO you think its the changes to the compulsories? Made it so tough there's a lot dropping out? Flic on beam at L4 (and giants?) must mean some of these kids have been putting in stupid hours for at least 2 or three years, and they're only 8/9.

I also think the increase in difficulty means smaller clubs can't give kids a chance either- no pits/pit bars means no giants, fewer hours means they can't take kids up to L4/ L3 then pass them over to a HPC centre. So not so many of the less obvious kids who bloom a little later, or kids that have been at lower hours, less pressure clubs until they're ready.

I agree. The comps I've been to there have been some amazing kids who aren't doing compulsories. I can imagine one or two not wanting to do the hours and dropping down, but even in age NDP6 there are some huge scores. Any 7/8 year old that can score over 60 must have potential? I think we're missing out on a huge talent pool somewhere along the line. London must have about 10 HPC centres capable of producing compulsory gymnasts.

It is a choice by the clubs. Many clubs decide not to put the focus on elite grades. The girls really need to work in small groups and have big hours. Some clubs don't want to commit their resources into such a difficult pathway.

Both routes have the potential to end up at The British - it may just be one or two skills holding them back from compulsories - At level 2 they can do either that or NDP 3 - following year it will be Level 1 - but those on NDP can do Challenge cup and by December both routes could be at espoir British anyway - I think the NDP grades are looking really strong - some huge scores that said the level 2 scores Ive seen are huge too - some not so but they could be injured or not just ready yet as its still weeks to go

Traditionally a very tiny number of girls transfer from Challenge to British. It will be interesting to see if this number increases with the changes.

Traditionally a very tiny number of girls transfer from Challenge to British. It will be interesting to see if this number increases with the changes.
well that's very true..........is it because the pass mark is very high?

I looked into the numbers thing from all 3 challenge cups once, going right back to 2007 which is the earliest on the BG website. Very, very few gymnasts cross successfully from grades. Only one has ever made national squad (Ruby Harrold) and she did pass compulsory 4 before doing grade 3 and 2 then espoir challenge, so was obviously training equivalent to compulsories- back then I think grade 3/2=comp 3/2 skill wise?

Im always interested in nature vs. nurture- is it so hard to cross over because they have not had the same quality and type of coaching since such a young age, because the compulsory kids use up those resources?

It is a choice by the clubs. Many clubs decide not to put the focus on elite grades. The girls really need to work in small groups and have big hours. Some clubs don't want to commit their resources into such a difficult pathway.

Makes sense. Do you think that helps or hinders British gymnastics on the world stage though? Are we doing as well as we can because we're pooling all our resources into a few kids with a chance of elite and demanding so much? Or would we be better widening our bets and making the lower levels more achievable so we have two or three times the numbers? Looking at our more successful male gymnasts who don't do such early selection/in age progress- we have far more depth of field, despite a massively lower % of boys in gymnastics nationally...

I looked into the numbers thing from all 3 challenge cups once, going right back to 2007 which is the earliest on the BG website. Very, very few gymnasts cross successfully from grades. Only one has ever made national squad (Ruby Harrold) and she did pass compulsory 4 before doing grade 3 and 2 then espoir challenge, so was obviously training equivalent to compulsories- back then I think grade 3/2=comp 3/2 skill wise?

Im always interested in nature vs. nurture- is it so hard to cross over because they have not had the same quality and type of coaching since such a young age, because the compulsory kids use up those resources?

Makes sense. Do you think that helps or hinders British gymnastics on the world stage though? Are we doing as well as we can because we're pooling all our resources into a few kids with a chance of elite and demanding so much? Or would we be better widening our bets and making the lower levels more achievable so we have two or three times the numbers? Looking at our more successful male gymnasts who don't do such early selection/in age progress- we have far more depth of field, despite a massively lower % of boys in gymnastics nationally...

I think the real truth is gymnastics on the world state is so incredibly difficult that WAG have to be pushing to a certain level by a certain age. I think there are very few girls capable of it realistically. I am not sure how the MAG do so well with fewer boys involved. They are certainly amazing.

I think in London the compulsory kids are definitely not using up the resources because few clubs opt to do elite gymnastics. So if that was a factor you would see more gymnasts coming across from challenge in that region. I am sure there is no one answer. I think the best answer is really that no one can predict how a child will turn out in any sense. Children are very inconvenient like that!

I know at our club there has been big noise from parents whose girls do less hours than other groups doing the same (national) grades. I prefer to think that hard work and less hours can equal the high hours offered to some but the high hours girls trounced the lower hours girls by quite a large margin so what do I know?

Portsmouth gymnastics club have posted results on their facebook page - seen grades but haven't looked for compulsory results

Abi solari also qualified from challenge cup and is now on GB squad and doing junior internationals for GB

I'm sure the very high hours and the pressure at such a young age is making great girls drop out. There seem to be a few coaches that can get the high scores, smaller clubs without the stream of comp girls just can't compete. It means that us parents are having to drive a long way to get out girls to these handful of clubs sigh...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back