WAG rewarding the team with allergenic food

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Slightly off topic, but what bothers me about this thread is all the parents, coaches, etc here talking about how many kids have all these different food allergies. When I was growing up a zillion years ago, I didn't know of ANYBODY who had ANY food allergies. It just didn't happen. Politics and money are allowing corporations to poison our kids. It's really sad.

I am fortunate that my son doesn't have any of these allergies. I have met a few kids who do have allergies - some of them quite severe. If it were me, I would never trust anybody else to provide food for my son. I would always make sure that I was the one feeding him, just to be on the safe side.

I agree with you there Ivy, but in addition to what is in the food, we also deal with the feeding of babies so differently now than even 20-30 years ago when food allergies were scarce. Now parents are told NO food other than formula or breast milk until the baby is 6 months old.

When I was a baby in the 70's, my mom fed me rice cereal with formula in my bottle at 2 weeks old, I was on orange/yellow veggies at a month, greens at 2 months and by 6 months if it came in a jar I ate it. When my kids were born I, being decidedly old school, didn't wait until 6 months. All of my kids were given rice cereal in their bottles before they were a month old (and as soon as they got it, they all slept through the night on their full little tummies). By the time my pediatrician gave me the thumbs up to introduce ANY food to my kids, they had been dining for months.

No I am not saying what I did was right, because it was wrong, very wrong... BAD MOMMY! But I have three kids who have extremely good, varied appetites and no allergies.

My brother and his wife had kids in the same area, same time frame, same types of baby food and yet his wife followed the doctor's instructions to a t. She didn't introduce a thing until the doctor said she could and both of her kids had colic and they each have a different, severe food allergy now.

It's probably just a kowinkidink type of situation and it really has nothing to do with the original thread topic, but I still find it fascinating.

Oh, and I like s'mores... A LOT! And I really like biscuits, and carbs, and butter, and chocolate... Okay I need a snack!

I am loving the s'more talk.....making me hungry! Yes, marshmellows have gelatin making them not vegetarian, which is why dd does not eat them. If I know ahead of time that s'mores will be involved in an event, I bring marshmellow fluff (which is equally evil but does not have gelatin) and a little foil so we can assemble a "s'more," wrap it in foil, and hang it from a stick over the fire. This is not as satisfying as the real thing because most kids love nothing more than the excitement of igniting puffs of sugary goodness. And often I don't know and dd has to settle for cracker and chocolate with no fluff. But in the scheme of things, life goes on and I don't think she will be psychologically damaged for life.

Gummie bears and fruit "snacks" are other offenders non-veggies never think of.

As for pizza, it certainly can be vegetarian. However, often times no one thinks to order a few plain cheese pizzas....even though it is cheaper and caters to the picky eaters as well as the veggies. It is just not on people's radar. Some sort of autopilot thing. Or they do, but only one that is all gone by the time dd gets to the front of the line. Many a time, some "helpful" adult has advised dd to just pick off the pepperoni....leaving a trail of meaty grease circles. Uh....no thanks:)

However, it has never occurred to me to be upset by this sort of thing. Dd cannot eat it. Big deal. And actually, I am more than OK with it. This is never healthy food she has to pass up. She hangs out with her friends, gets her certificate/ribbon/trophy, hugs from the coaches, lots of laughs, skips the pizza (and soda for that matter)....then goes home and eats a balanced meal. No biggie.

Dd stopped getting upset by this sort of thing around the age of 6. We have had an open dialog about junk food, my family's resistance to equating food with rewards, and how to be gracious even when someone well-meaning misses the mark (thanks Aunt Mildred for the lovely hand-knit toilet cover). I always have a filling snack stashed in my purse so no one is ever going to starve. And this treat-at-children's-events is so ridiculously over the top these days that it is not even a "treat" anymore. How can candy be a treat when kids encounter it multiple times a day?

When I was a baby in the 70's, my mom fed me rice cereal with formula in my bottle at 2 weeks old, I was on orange/yellow veggies at a month, greens at 2 months and by 6 months if it came in a jar I ate it. When my kids were born I, being decidedly old school, didn't wait until 6 months. All of my kids were given rice cereal in their bottles before they were a month old (and as soon as they got it, they all slept through the night on their full little tummies). By the time my pediatrician gave me the thumbs up to introduce ANY food to my kids, they had been dining for months.

My brother and his wife had kids in the same area, same time frame, same types of baby food and yet his wife followed the doctor's instructions to a t. She didn't introduce a thing until the doctor said she could and both of her kids had colic and they each have a different, severe food allergy now.

That's anecdotal though- the medical evidence is that early weaning leads to increased risk of coeliac etc as the gut is "leaky" for big milk molecules, so allows gluten through to the immune system, plus there's a genetic component so as the population gets bigger, we get more knowledgeable and so have more failure to thrive infants surviving to adulthood and passing on their genes, so there's an increased incidence of these things.

It is, of course, an arbitrary 6 months thing, some infants may have mature guts at 3 months, some at 5, some later, but 6 is chosen as the safe average. And of course if you didn't give gluten and dairy until 6-months- that lessens the risk, even if you've weaned on rice and veggies earlier.

My own anecdotal evidence is DH- like you raised in the 70's - cereal in the bottle at weeks old, weaned very early. He grew up only able to tolerate one food- chicken. Now as an adult he loves his food and his range has greatly widened, but he has the most awful gut reactions to nearly everything, including any stress. He had to give up competing as he couldn't leave the toilet in time for the race!

My own two were raised on modern advice- breastmilk only until just before 6 months. They're both fine, with a varied diet and no gut issues.

Having said that- I am a scientist and very sceptical of non-diagnosed "intolerances". There's a huge difference between a true coeliac eating gluten, and someone who says they are gluten intolerant because they think it bloats them, or constipates them, or whatever.

The whole biscuit thing sounds decidedly odd:p I still can't work out graham crackers either, are they like digestives (biscuits ;) ), or crackers, like jacobs cream crackers? Who's Graham?

Causes of allergies: Well first of all there was the experimental advice to delay introduction of allergenic foods in infants. Recently they've had to reverse this because that protocol, given out as gospel, actually CAUSED food allergies. Oops. How (and Why) to Introduce Allergens to Your Infant - Eat + Run (usnews.com)

As to autoimmune celiac and diabetes, it's possible that hygiene is a big contributor, use of antibiotics, and timing of cessation of breastfeeding with introduction of gluten. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/o...auses-celiac-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I agree with you there Ivy, but in addition to what is in the food, we also deal with the feeding of babies so differently now than even 20-30 years ago when food allergies were scarce. Now parents are told NO food other than formula or breast milk until the baby is 6 months old.

No I am not saying what I did was right, because it was wrong, very wrong... BAD MOMMY! But I have three kids who have extremely good, varied appetites and no allergies.

It's probably just a kowinkidink type of situation and it really has nothing to do with the original thread topic, but I still find it fascinating.

Oh, and I like s'mores... A LOT! And I really like biscuits, and carbs, and butter, and chocolate... Okay I need a snack!

As you know, I have fraternal twins. I was a food natzi when the girls were babies. I had a chart on the fridge showing me what I could introduce when, I would write down the date when I introduced a new food and wait a prescribed period of time before introducing the next food to check for allergies. The freezer was full of nothing but breast milk and baggies of ice cubes made from different puréed foods. I remember once, when they were maybe 8 months old, my in-laws took them to the mall and fed them a pretzel. A pretzel! I had a cow! I was looking at my refrigerator chart and going, "THEY DON'T GET TO EAT WHEAT FOR MONTHS!" Clearly I needed more wine in my diet. Anyway, neither of my girls have any food allergies, but my gymmie will eat anything. Beats and brussel sprouts for dinner? 2 of her favorite foods! Calamari with a side of spinach? Let her at it! Her sister, on the other hand, eats fruit, white bread (and related foods, like pasta), cheese, eggs, chicken, and not much else. No pizza, burgers, or anything normal. I have one daughter who was bored with the children's menu from birth and another who, I'm convinced, will still be ordering off the children's menu when she's 30. And they were both introduced the exact same foods on the exact same schedule. So I give very little credence to any philosophy about how and when you introduce foods affecting kids' likes and dislikes. And for those people who say, "I just always fed my kids what we were having. They'll eat it if they're hungry enough." I say, good for you! That's what I believed too! And if my gymmie was my only child, I would still believe that and feel superior to my friends with picky childeren and think, "if they had only done things the way I did them, they wouldn't have these problems." But I happen to also have the exceedingly strong-willed picky eater. So the result is that I don't feel like I did something "right" to turn "twin B" into a kid who will eat anything, nor do I feel like I did something "wrong" that turned "twin A" into a picky eater.

=/

Kinda icked out by the "starving children in (elsewhere)"/"at least you dont have DREAD DISABILITY" tactic taken by a few posters here. That's not helpful. When someone feels bad, "it can be worse" actually doesn't help--and using other people's lives to make an At Least You Aren't Like Them is othering and gross.
actually, it is quite helpful when done properly. It teaches kids empathy and to think beyond their own troubles, something that is sorely lacking in this society. It also helps to stave off self pity, which only leads to feelings off victimness, which, not so coincidentally is running rampant.

Of course, I don't lash it at them like coachp implied. It is an ongoing discussion of how we have to think less about our own struggles and more about the positives. In the grand scheme of things, with all the positives in a child's life, a food intolerance should not take center stage in the their thoughts. . Is it hard on kids just starting this path? Of course it is. But it is our job as parents to guide them there. No, it doesn't happen overnight. But it never will happen if a parent chooses to allow the child to continue to see the negative all the time. Self-fulfilling prophecy....

Graham crackers are like a less sweet, and slightly harder, digestive. Digestive are way better. Graham crackers are used to make the base for cheesecakes it seems, they are also great for building tiny "gingerbread" houses for xmas.

In situations like these, I am reminded of Spock's dying words - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... Or the one."

At 6, 8, 10, that's a pretty sucky concept, but unfortunately that's the way life is. It's not fair... Which is why gymnastics is such a great sport for our kids. Nothing like a subjective sport rife with politics and judging to show our kids early on what the real world is like.

and are amazing with a little frosting on them ;)

Graham crackers are like a less sweet, and slightly harder, digestive. Digestive are way better. Graham crackers are used to make the base for cheesecakes it seems, they are also great for building tiny "gingerbread" houses for xmas.

=/

Kinda icked out by the "starving children in (elsewhere)"/"at least you dont have DREAD DISABILITY" tactic taken by a few posters here. That's not helpful. When someone feels bad, "it can be worse" actually doesn't help--and using other people's lives to make an At Least You Aren't Like Them is othering and gross.

*Coach Goofy has friends with all those DREAD DISABILITIES, every last one, & they are not fans of being seen as moral lessons for able people*

Would politely disagree, as it works every day for me and many others. Too often people take themselves and the world too seriously, and believe that somehow the universe revolves around them and their problems. By looking around with open eyes, it can and should help give you and your problems a little perspective. 'I used to feel bad because I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet..........'

nope, no wiser :))

what's a graham cracker? And how do you get "half chocolate"

btw, Hershey's chocolate mings. You should get yourself some proper Cadburys.
Cadbury is too thick for s'mores, which btw is short for some-more, as in "they are so great I want some-more.". The Cadbury chocolate won't melt right. The jersey bars are very thin. And scored so they are easy to snap apart. I personally don't like them but they are a must for camping trips.

Btw, for vegans, homemade marshmallow is easy to make. And SO much better tasting that store bought.

@Faith - biscuits are like really dry flakey scones, used really like a cobbler topping, but on the side. I think the polite term is an aquired taste ;)
oh, if you think this, you have not been in the south USA and haven't had a proper biscuit. They are anything but dry and tasteless... :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

Cadbury is too thick for s'mores, which btw is short for some-more, as in "they are so great I want some-more.". The Cadbury chocolate won't melt right. The jersey bars are very thin. And scored so they are easy to snap apart. I personally don't like them but they are a must for camping trips.

Btw, for vegans, homemade marshmallow is easy to make. And SO much better tasting that store bought.

You can buy cadburys in different types of bars. There are also extra large cadburys chocolate buttons that are perfect for s'mores.

The taste of Hershey's does nothing for me.

In situations like these, I am reminded of Spock's dying words - "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... Or the one."

At 6, 8, 10, that's a pretty sucky concept, but unfortunately that's the way life is. It's not fair... Which is why gymnastics is such a great sport for our kids. Nothing like a subjective sport rife with politics and judging to show our kids early on what the real world is like.

I think some coaches will use this "needs of the many" thing to continue bad practice. Whereas this is clearly a rewards situation not a need, and the teams really do have the resources to provide the same level of reward to all, if they would change from bad practice to good practice. Many teams do immediately in response to this situation.

The wants of the many do not need to trample the feelings of the few, when the wants could be thought through and everyone could feel valued.

Wow - It is a concept, not a direct correlation. LIFE ISN'T FAIR.

"The wants of the many do not need to trample the feelings of the few, when the wants could be thought through and everyone could feel valued."

Sorry but that's not life. In the real world, and the world I grew up in where participation trophies and medals were unheard of, most people don't give a flying fig about your feelings. You have GOT to teach your children to take life as it comes and move on and be strong.

No amount of complaining is going to change the past. And if in your zeal to educate people, you call them cruel and heartless, you may end up with less people willing to help you in the future.

. . . . . but for the kids under 10, it's about the pizza and cake. I think some of you are really reaching here when you act like, for an 8 year old, it's not about the food. Well it's certainly not about hanging out with their friends at the pool since they are, in this case, ALL members or they wouldn't be able to join the team, and they hang out all summer long. It's about the free, junkie food.

I'm sorry it's hard for you to reconcile this but it meant something to my son. It meant something important to him that the booster club was buying it and I was simply the volunteer mom picking it up.

Wow! I am not perfect and my crazy gym mom's ugly head rears itself every so often, but in addition to expecting people to cater to you and your children, I find the above equally as troubling. In my world, it is about hanging out with friends. It does not matter if my daughter is with her friends 24/7, when there is an occasion to get together, she is there, to hang out with friends. And it never crosses her mind or my mind, to think "wow, free junk food". I have 4 kids and not one of them have ever valued food above hanging out with friends.

Emorymom, we all understand your situation and i doubt any of the posters that support you taking care of you family at various functions are heartless, inconsiderate, non-caring individuals. I don't doubt you and your children feel left out and in a perfect world one could wish this would never happen to anyone. But to put things in proper perspective, I have a sister with emotional problems, a niece who is painfully shy, a nephew who has a learning disorder, another nephew who is highly allergic to protein (have you heard that one? It is an extremely rare disease. His muscles are starting to curl up. Protein is toxic to his body. he cannot hav any protien), many of my friends and my kids friends have some issue or another, we have a diabetic, have celiac's disease, learning disabilities, mental disabilities, food allergies, etc. Our parents are elderly that require extra care. I am lucky to have very healthy children, but one child would rather die than eat fish, one hates red meat, my son is a meat eater and my oldest daughter is eliminating carbs from her diet. Granted these are not life threatening situations, but they still need to be dealt with. So you see, if you look beyond your nose, everyone has issues they need to deal with. If everyone just took care of themselves and did not rely or expect the world to cater to them, we would have a better place. You just have to take responsibility. Lastly, you are new to the team, try to make friends and not enemies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back