Coaches Safety warning for coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
Dear fellow coaches!

Make sure the spotting block you are standing is always STABLE! If it isn't, make it stable. Even if it takes a good five minutes to tie it to something or make a gymnast hold it when waiting their turn!

I just came home from surgery. They fixed my ruptured meniscus from my knee which I injured when I spotted giants standing on block which wasn't stable enough. I didn't even fell of or anything, just fixed my balance using my legs. That was in April and I have coached all the time after it even if I had had pain. I just had to because I got my MRI done as late as end of August! Now I'm off coaching for 2-3 weeks and worry about my groups and how is it going there. I'll get back JUST before competition season starts thought :)

SO, take care of YOUR safety, not only the gymnasts! No one else will do that for you!

Gym4everyone; I send coach empathy for you. Surgery sounds successful. I hope rehab goes well.

Excellent reminder to take care of yourself (coaches).

Best wishes for your rehab, SBG -

BTW: I have all kinds of fancy, fancy UB's stuff on the Workout Planner for today. I have pre-planned my "exit strategy." The gymnasts know how to "crash safely" and we review it. I have a mat to land on or a clear spot in the pit to land on (under my spotting block/platform) if all goes crazy and I need to adjust the gymnast in the air (on the way to the ground)or need to find a place to "crash."

Sorry to hear of your injury, and wish you a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, it's the gymnasts and their injuries that get most of the attention, but the coaches take a real beating as well. I struggle with several nagging injuries, some of which need surgery, but between insurance, down time, fear, etc. I have neglected to get them treated so far. I consciously try every day to be extra safe and careful, but as we all know, 'stuff' happens. Be sure to let us know how you are doing, and take care.

Thanks for the emphaty, I appreciate it!

Now it has been 6 days after surgery and I can walk and even ride a bike. But there is still some pain. And the worst thing might be that I also have flu and it has been over 3 weeks already. Wait, no, the worst thing is I'm SOOO bored. And I have to spend hours a day finding other coaches who are willing to fill in. Everybody has hands full of work with their own groups. And I keep thinking about my gymnasts who are practicing their routines and it kills me I cannot be there and give them corrections. It's hard when the people who coach my groups now don't really know my gymnasts or their routines.... I'll see my younger group for the first time at the first meet :(

Thanks for the emphaty, I appreciate it!

Now it has been 6 days after surgery and I can walk and even ride a bike. But there is still some pain. And the worst thing might be that I also have flu and it has been over 3 weeks already. Wait, no, the worst thing is I'm SOOO bored. And I have to spend hours a day finding other coaches who are willing to fill in. Everybody has hands full of work with their own groups. And I keep thinking about my gymnasts who are practicing their routines and it kills me I cannot be there and give them corrections. It's hard when the people who coach my groups now don't really know my gymnasts or their routines.... I'll see my younger group for the first time at the first meet :(

Have you thought of helping through a skype or facetime session? I've done that a few times when away at a meet with only one gymnast, just to keep in touch with what the kids are doing back in the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back