Parents Sami's first HS meet of the year...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

didn't go so well. In fact it went so badly that she refuses to let me put video of it on YouTube. She did varsity vault, bars & beam and JV floor (last to go though--in HS typically means the coach things you'll get the highest score).

Vault went fairly well--she did a half on/half off first vault--just to get a score (8.175--better than she scored last year), then a tsuk--with spot for her second vault--zero because of the spot (any spot in HS gives a zero score).

Bars up next--scared us all half to death during warm-up--during her layout dismount from her giants, her feet hit the bar and she dropped right to the ground--got up smiling and okay though. Beautiful routine--just fell on her dismount--got an 8.3--second highest of the meet.

Then came beam--all week long, she's been making her skills in practice (per her and her coach). At the meet (with her friends there to cheer her on) she fell--not once, not twice, but three times. Poor girl was in tears! Ended up with a 6.3--actually better than I was expecting with 3 falls, considering her skills.

Floor was last--still shaky from beam and the floor was awful (it was a home meet too--so their own fault!). The covering was wrinkled and everything. Anyway--she fell on her first pass (front tumbling). Recovered and did the rest of the routine well, then tripped or something on her last pass and nearly landed on her head on her back tuck. It was scary! final score was 7.0

She was SO upset--seriously--still sobbing Saturday afternoon when she thought of it. So if you have any fairies to send to her--please do! She's got two meets coming up this week and she'll be a basket case, if they don't go well!!:(

I'm so sorry that the meet didn't go as planned. What a rough day! I know it will go in one ear and out the other (I have dd whose a jr in hs, know how they are, heehee), but tell her to go ahead and wallow for a day, then take a deep breath and shake it off. This doesn't have to be the beginning of a rut, she can use this as a stepping stone to greater things. Think positive, and don't look backward. When you're looking backward, you can never go forward. Good luck! Sending lots of fairies your way:)

Poor child, but it is good to get the bad meet out of the way and move onto the great ones. My girls always seem to have one crap meet a year. Sending her some good meet karma for next time. Hopefully the next meets will remind her how good she really is.

Maybe someone needs to iron that floor!

Cathiann... I was so looking forward for your DD's first meet report! I think she did GREAT considering the falls!!! 8.3. on bars WITH a fall!?!?! AWESOME... and I'm sure she knows that next time without that fall she'll nail that routine!!! It was just the first meet and with 2 coming up, she can definitely make up for lost ground! I'm sure you've given her all the words of encouragement she needs. These girls are just so hard on themselves sometimes.

You can have all of Virginia's fairies each day this week EXCEPT we'll need them back on Thursday. Katy has her second meet of the season then. I'll send them back up your way on Friday a.m.!

I didn't even think to videotape Katy's first meet, and then I read in the League rule books that you're NOT ALLOWED to bring a video camera! I think I'll "ignore" that rule next meet. I really can't believe they don't allow that!

Keep us posted! When are her two meets this week?

She seems to be better today. I know her though and she'll had head games again as THursday--and her next meet--gets closer

Thursday and Saturday! I'll be thinking of Katy too :)! I never even looked up whether you can video or not--we just do. One of the captains asked Sami is we'd do the video for the team banquet (she found out we did it for the club team). But you must be able to--one of the girls on team taped everyone too!

Sorry it didn't go as well as you and she hoped for. My dd's first meet always seems to be her worst one of the year. Hopefully things will only go up now. Hopefully she can shake off this meet and hang in there.

Sorry her meet didn't go as she had wanted it to. Sending her lots of fairies and good luck wishes for her next meet. Some confidence fairies, too. I think she had some good moments, but hard to see sometimes when you are focusing on the not-so-good ones.

Bless her heart! I hope the tears dry soon and she realizes she gave it her all and she just had an off day. I wish I could take the pain from these girls. It breaks my heart when they hurt so much. Here's to getting past a "bad meet" and rocking the next!!

Ugh what a drag. i hate it when they train so hard and then the bad and ugly happen at the meet it is just not fair.

The first meet of the year is always rough I am sure it will get better.

Best wishes to her. wow are High School meets always so many in 1 week.

I hope she's feeling better now and is ready for her upcoming meets. Good luck to Sami these next two meets. Sending lots of beam and floor fairies her way!

Meg

I don't know how I missed this earlier in the week, but bummer for your dd. Both of your girls have had a tough week! I hope she has a better meet tonight. Everyone has a bad meet, her's was her 1st meet - now she's done and onto better days! ;)

GL tonight!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back