MAG Scoring questions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
D

Deleted member 10727

I don't understand how scoring works, and my boys keep asking me. We're all new to this. The coach talks about 3/8ths points deduction for this and that, but I'm not sure how to translate that for my boys. My older one gets it a bit, but my younger one, the more competitive one, is too young yet to understand. The boys asked the coach if they get a "record" and he said to me something like, yes, but these two will compete against themselves and won't have to worry about much more than that. It made me feel like he was saying they aren't good enough to do better than that? Or something? Everyone goes on and on about how good my younger boy is, so that was confusing to me, but I guess he is sloppy. He has the skills, but he's not tight with them.

Oh, my boys are both level 4s. My older son is the type to not try very hard if he thinks he will "fail" or lose. We're working on that.

It's not that uncommon for Level 4 boys to be a little sloppy. Some do take longer to develop tight bodies, it is still very early days for them.

i don't think the coaches meant that they were no good when they were told they were competing against the,selves. This is the best way to train in gymnastics. Each time trying to beat your own personal score and trying to improve on your own personal bests. This way even if there is little competition the boys always have something to push them forward and continue to improve.

Yeah, I always tell the boys they are competing with themselves. I am trying hard to avoid sibling rivalry, if at all possible. The way the coach said it was odd, and I wish I could remember the exact phrasing.

Anyway, the boys are nagging about what scoring means, the technicalities of it. The coach has talked to them about the deductions, but they keep asking ME. Like I know anything about it.

trying to understand the scoring can drive all of you nuts! D has gotten a handle on some things (ie.. that step was .3 deduction, not pointing my toes is .1). But you never know from judge to judge waht they are looking for. Improvement is what you want to see. D usually has a non-score related goal at each meet, or for the season, that he shoots for. This year it is to do all level 6 bonus and/or to move to level 7 mid-season. that way he doesn't get bogged down by scores and places.

Our coach even has a saying, and D has used it before. One of his level 5 friends was upset after a meet because of his place. D looked at me and said.."L let scores and places ruin a perfectly good meet."

Good luck! Try not to let the scoring get you! As to the sibling rivalry, the boys could be in different age divisions!!

scores are irrelevant. performance is all that matters. reconciling this from what they know/learn from school is difficult. :)

Good advice!! I will talk to the boys about having a non-competitive goal they want to meet at competitions. As far as performance mattering - I agree 100%! My boys don't go to school (homeschooled), but they still care about scoring. lol

Once they've been to a few meets, if they are anything like my guy, they will be explaining it to you. Then dragging you down into the basement to watch them do mushroom forever and score routines for them. "Uh, yeah, I'm gonna give that one a . . .45! Good job!" Sigh.

Once they've been to a few meets, if they are anything like my guy, they will be explaining it to you. Then dragging you down into the basement to watch them do mushroom forever and score routines for them. "Uh, yeah, I'm gonna give that one a . . .45! Good job!" Sigh.

I was so that person in the basement last year from the end of Feb through state and into the summer. lol.

I worked with my L4, now L5 guy on setting goals for himself. Not only did the scores and placements go up, but he was happier and proud of himself that way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back