Parents Should DD repeat 4 or do 5 this year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5 all the way! It looked mostly like overall tightness issues dinging her scoring. Her skills are solid and her beam balance well done. Just polishing the lines, working on strength (for higher casts for example) and she'll be great. No need to go backwards.

I cannot see the video in the chalkbucket app but I can see it in a web browser.

Let her do L5 - she has the skills and just needs some form cleanup. She is darling :)

Another one here for having her do 5! I can't believe it is even being questioned. She looks great for a 1st meet. She would fit in very well in my DD's meets.

Put another in the level 5 camp. She is safely executing all the skills and just needs to clean things up.

If she is hitting the ground on that kip out of the clear hip that is a big deduction and would explain a bit. Also explains why she may need that extra swing to her squat on. No power coming out of that kip.

A couple girls on my dds team struggled with this exact issue last year. Has she grown recently? Seemed like with my daughters teammates growing made their hip flexors weak and they couldn't hold them up. Maybe some abdominal strength issues too? I'm not a coach, but those girls spent a lot of time sitting in hanging L holds and V holds last season. :)

I think she looks great for a first level five meet. It's a tough level. Good luck to her this season.

Wow, thanks gymdog, I didn't know a lot of that… it really helps me know what to tell her to work on. You can't see in the video but she is touching the floor on the low bar. I guess that's just a strength thing?

Thanks to everyone who posted. I feel much much better encouraging her to do Level 5… you all gave me some really good advice and things I might not have considered.

I actually didn't catch that so I just rewatched. It's kind of hard to tell because of the angle and some things blocking it but I see what you mean, right at the end of the kip she bounces off the floor. They probably took .3. She does it because she comes out of the clear hip with bent arms and then is off in her swing and doesn't have enough strength to compensate. All those mistakes are very technical changes. The biggest impact easy changes she could make is to do her kip casts higher and try to connect her squat on. Those things she can probably do just by trying to concentrate on them.

Def keep her in that level...she has all the skills, just needs to polish and gets those casts going higher. She should have a great season!

For those that couldn't see the video the url is "vimeo . com / 111525753" without the quotes and spaces. Thanks so much for everyone's comments. I can't tell you how helpful this has been and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted!

HI Proud -gym-mom.. Your daughter is a cutie. Regardless of which way she goes 4 or 5- continue to cheer her on! My daughter is repeating level 4 and I certainly do not see it as a "cop out". She did medal in all 4 events at states last year.. but there was much improvement needed. Typically her gym would have moved her up but one coach which has been with her for three years really pushed as did I to allow her the time to perfect the skills she has. (This is not a case of sandbagging). I posted earlier that they had their first meet this year and I saw that look of confidence and of I got it that I had not seen since last old level 4 when she won states. One thing I think of for my daughter is how confident she is when she hits the floor. I have also looked at track records and it is rare from my research of girls catching up once they fall behind and move up a level. As far as her video, I saw she certainly has the skills and from my novice eye, I see the mistakes previously mentioned... but I tend to leave the coaching to the coaches. Just my opinion.

I would want her to stay at 5 too. She's solid on the skills, just needs cleaning up.
Mark me as one of the people who is shocked by that bar score. I had to go back and watch it again. I'm just a mom, but I've watched a lot of routines. That would have at least been a low 8 here.

I agree with everyone else. She should stay at 5. She has all of her skills, but need to polish some things on floor and beam. Tighter legs, keeping them together, confidence. She needs to block better on vault. Bars - bigger casts and tap swings and clear the bar on her baby giant. But all in all, fixing a few things will get her over that 33 pretty easily. She looks well on her way and going back to 4 is really not going to help her in the long run!

Keep her at 5. If she can get her casts up past horizontal and connect the squat on her score will go up almost a whole point! Vault is the same in both levels so that shouldn't have any impact on the decision. Her beam is really solid! I would bet that the next meet will have higher scores! She is exactly where she needs to be!

I would want her to stay at 5 too. She's solid on the skills, just needs cleaning up.
Mark me as one of the people who is shocked by that bar score. I had to go back and watch it again. I'm just a mom, but I've watched a lot of routines. That would have at least been a low 8 here.

The issue is probably little things like watching her feet on the casts when the judges go by the lowest point. While the bar routine has potential it shouldn't score a low 8 anywhere. She got .1 on her kip swing, probably a deduction on the kip finish, .3 on the cast, .5 at least on clear hip (low and arms bent), .3 second kip, .2 arms, .3 extra swing, .2 high bar jump and swing, .3 cast too low, .2 arms on low swing pullover, .2 rhythm, .2 dropped underswing, a deduction on both swings for shape, and .2 for the flyaway being under the bar.

I'm not a judge but I can see these things as a coach. Even with generous scoring which tends to happen when they don't take as many swing deductions on the kips, she would have a 7.5 maybe.

BUT the good news is she could have a low 8 by casting higher, not doing an extra swing before her squat on, and not hitting the floor. The other changes to go from the 8 to the 9 will be more technical and harder to make. But focusing on those easy changes for the next chance meet should get her to the 33.

Reactions: COz
L5 for sure. She can clean up a few things and get the necessary score super quickly. I had a hard time watching the video, but I saw some bent knees, low casts, and a piked tap swing on bars. Fixing those should definitely increase her score. Touching the floor also knocks off a good chunk.

The issue is probably little things like watching her feet on the casts when the judges go by the lowest point. While the bar routine has potential it shouldn't score a low 8 anywhere. She got .1 on her kip swing, probably a deduction on the kip finish, .3 on the cast, .5 at least on clear hip (low and arms bent), .3 second kip, .2 arms, .3 extra swing, .2 high bar jump and swing, .3 cast too low, .2 arms on low swing pullover, .2 rhythm, .2 dropped underswing, a deduction on both swings for shape, and .2 for the flyaway being under the bar.

I'm not a judge but I can see these things as a coach. Even with generous scoring which tends to happen when they don't take as many swing deductions on the kips, she would have a 7.5 maybe.

BUT the good news is she could have a low 8 by casting higher, not doing an extra swing before her squat on, and not hitting the floor. The other changes to go from the 8 to the 9 will be more technical and harder to make. But focusing on those easy changes for the next chance meet should get her to the 33.

Right, which is why I prefaced it with "I'm just a mom" I know there are lots of little things and I didn't see her touch the floor. Still, I routinely see routines that look like that at least getting in the low 8s, that's just me and my area.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back