WAG standing tucks at what level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At what Level should a good gymnast be able to do
- standing back tucks
- standing back pikes/layouts
- standing back layout stepouts
- Back Handspring Layout stepout?

Our gym says that at around L6/7 you should have a nice Standing Back Tuck. At L7/8 you should be able to do a layout and layout stepout if you go into it from a back handspring stepout or cartwheel bc it gives you a little power.

Standing Layouts and Standing Layout Stepouts are very hard and it is okay if gymnasts learn them at late at L9/10. Is this correct?

I sometimes see Level 5s doing BHS Layout stepouts and then there are a lot of L7s who can't even back tuck! What is appropriate?

Are we talking about on the floor or on the beam? My DD had a standing back tuck at I think old level 6/current level 5 on the floor. She competed a standing back tuck on beam in level 8. All level 8s at her gym had to do a standing back tuck on beam (per coach's requirement).

She was able to do BHS-BLO-step out on the floor by the time she was training for L7, I believe. Again, not sure if you're asking floor or beam though...

Are we talking about on the floor or on the beam? My DD had a standing back tuck at I think old level 6/current level 5 on the floor. She competed a standing back tuck on beam in level 8. All level 8s at her gym had to do a standing back tuck on beam (per coach's requirement).

She was able to do BHS-BLO-step out on the floor by the time she was training for L7, I believe. Again, not sure if you're asking floor or beam though...

Thank you! I mean on floor, of course!!!

When I first read your post I assumed you were talking about beam, and I was going to respond that your gym is slightly more advanced than ours. However, if you are talking about floor I would say our girls get those skills a bit earlier than what you described. So, standing back tucks at L5. BHS BLO by L6 etc.

We do not go by a level but by skill. If the gymnast has a solid standing back hamdspring with a strong rebound, if they can connect two standing back hamdspring with good timing and if they show they understand the shape by being able to do a good jumping back tuck on the tramp and have enough leg power. We work standing back tucks.

This means sometimes we are working these as early as level 3, but we do expect all gymnasts to have them down to move to level 7.

We do not go by a level but by skill. If the gymnast has a solid standing back hamdspring with a strong rebound, if they can connect two standing back hamdspring with good timing and if they show they understand the shape by being able to do a good jumping back tuck on the tramp and have enough leg power. We work standing back tucks.

This means sometimes we are working these as early as level 3, but we do expect all gymnasts to have them down to move to level 7.

Thanks for your answer. Of course, I know this varies by gymnast a lot!

However, I do like to teach standing tucks pretty early, because I think it helps a lot in understanding the move itself and is also helpful for flipping vaults.

But what about standing layouts or layout step outs?

I see a lot of girls do them from a round off or a cartwheel, they kind of teach themselves. But I think they are pretty hard. At my gym, standing layout and layout step outs are rare! When do you like to teach them or expect your gymnasts to be able to do standing layouts and back handspring layout step outs?

At our gym it really depends on the gymnast him/her self. We have a few level 3 who can do a standing back tuck, one can do a standing back pike. But we start working them level 2/3 off of tramp and by level 4/5 most of the girls can do them.

@Clover @Aussie_coach @wgymmom @Teezi

Thank you all for your comments! I don't want to open another thread but I like to hear your opinion on that also!

What about standing front tumbling? Like standing Front Handsprings? Do you have your kids work on those standing also or just running into it? By what level should they have a nice standing front handspring to two feet?

This is an interesting question! Standing back tucks Prob come somewhere around level 6 for us. And unless they are working a beam series (BHS BLO) I haven't seen standing back layouts before? Do you mean similar to a standing BT only with a layout position? That's new to me. :/
As for front tumbling, we do front handsprings and front tucks from step step (punch front) but again, in our gym haven't seen anyone do front tucks or handsprings from a 'standing' position. It's always out of a step or two.

This is an interesting question! Standing back tucks Prob come somewhere around level 6 for us. And unless they are working a beam series (BHS BLO) I haven't seen standing back layouts before? Do you mean similar to a standing BT only with a layout position? That's new to me. :/
As for front tumbling, we do front handsprings and front tucks from step step (punch front) but again, in our gym haven't seen anyone do front tucks or handsprings from a 'standing' position. It's always out of a step or two.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have two videos here. I couldn't find videos of it on floor, just beam ones. But again, I am talking about those skills ON FLOOR.

Standing Layout to two feet:

standing layout step out:

I think those are pretty hard...

PS: I do not own any of the videos and I think those are two great gymnast!

Interesting! Thanks for video examples. We don't work those at our gym. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the standing back layout (not step out-which, even though it's called a layout, is very different from a floor layout to me).
The standing back layout, because of the way the legs were forced to quickly get under her body at the end makes me wonder if it's really all that different from a pike? When the girl lands she is very 'chest down' and I guess I associate layouts with being very 'chest up!' This is out of my coaching expertise though :) My girls are at a much lower level. And I never did either of these moves during my gym career either (I used round off layout-two foot landing for my beam series) I always have more to learn!

Interesting! Thanks for video examples. We don't work those at our gym. I have to admit that I am not a fan of the standing back layout (not step out-which, even though it's called a layout, is very different from a floor layout to me).
The standing back layout, because of the way the legs were forced to quickly get under her body at the end makes me wonder if it's really all that different from a pike? When the girl lands she is very 'chest down' and I guess I associate layouts with being very 'chest up!' This is out of my coaching expertise though :) My girls are at a much lower level. And I never did either of these moves during my gym career either (I used round off layout-two foot landing for my beam series) I always have more to learn!

Yes, somehow, the standing layout two feet landing almost always turns into a sort of a pike. I don't know how it is from a judging point, but I totally agree with you that it is similar to a back pike.

While. Do I trounce standing back tucks early, I avoid introducing standing back layouts or standing back layout step outs too early.

The problem is that if the kids are working on them before their back tucks are outstaid g it can affect their technique of their standing back tucks and they start throwing their head back. I expect gymnasts to have a very solid standing back tuck and a solid standing back hamdspring to back tuck before even considering the layout.

Yes we do standing front tumbling. I instructed standing front handsprings about the same time as regular front handsprimgs to help teach the technique. This way kids learn to use the correct shoulder blocks DM heel drive because they can't rely on the run and hurdle to make it work. This really improves their front handsprings.

I also do a lot of standing front tuck work. This also very yiung and early. About level 2-3 I will start working standing front tucks. Again the goal is to teach the correct take off position, arm positions and tight fast tuck. But we will start by going from a bouncy surface to a soft mat and then a harder surface to a soft mat. Standing front tucks on floor are rarely mastered u til about level 7 unless you have. Very fast twitch kid.

We do a lot of st ding side and front aerials too.

I've noticed our current L4s starting to work them (we are at the end of our November to March compulsory season). They are still on the "standing on a folded panel" stage. Some of them can do this no problem and have moved down to the floor while others are still struggling.

They are also working running punch fronts, but no standing front tumbling from what I've seen. The strong tumblers are fine with them but still several are landing on their butts. I've never seen any gymnast at our gym do a standing layout or standing pike. DD work a standing BHS-BLO step out on the highway beam but has never mentioned even attempting just the standing BLO.

While. Do I trounce standing back tucks early, I avoid introducing standing back layouts or standing back layout step outs too early.

The problem is that if the kids are working on them before their back tucks are outstaid g it can affect their technique of their standing back tucks and they start throwing their head back. I expect gymnasts to have a very solid standing back tuck and a solid standing back hamdspring to back tuck before even considering the layout.

Yes we do standing front tumbling. I instructed standing front handsprings about the same time as regular front handsprimgs to help teach the technique. This way kids learn to use the correct shoulder blocks DM heel drive because they can't rely on the run and hurdle to make it work. This really improves their front handsprings.

I also do a lot of standing front tuck work. This also very yiung and early. About level 2-3 I will start working standing front tucks. Again the goal is to teach the correct take off position, arm positions and tight fast tuck. But we will start by going from a bouncy surface to a soft mat and then a harder surface to a soft mat. Standing front tucks on floor are rarely mastered u til about level 7 unless you have. Very fast twitch kid.

We do a lot of st ding side and front aerials too.

Thanks!! That is exactly what I have noticed. When they are not consistent with good standing back tucks with head neutral, they can easily mess it up when trying layouts, because you kind of need to whip it!

However, one they have solid BHS step out Back Tucks and single back tucks they can start working on BHS step out layout. Do you have the kids work them immediately out of a back handspring or do you teach the standing layout also?

I've noticed our current L4s starting to work them (we are at the end of our November to March compulsory season). They are still on the "standing on a folded panel" stage. Some of them can do this no problem and have moved down to the floor while others are still struggling.

They are also working running punch fronts, but no standing front tumbling from what I've seen. The strong tumblers are fine with them but still several are landing on their butts. I've never seen any gymnast at our gym do a standing layout or standing pike. DD work a standing BHS-BLO step out on the highway beam but has never mentioned even attempting just the standing BLO.

Thanks for your answer. I think it is great your daughter is working BHS BLO step out on high beam already!!! And I also think it is absolutely not necessary to attempt a BLO standing before. If done right, the BHS step out gives you a lot of power for the next skill so it is pretty easy to connect a layout to it. In my opinion, standing Lays are not necessary until L9 or L10. But there are different opinions, thats why I opened this thread. Thank You!

Oh no! Not the high beam....the highway beam. It's on the floor and is wider than a real beam. It looks like a two lane highway with a dashed line down the middle. That's why they call it a highway beam.

No, she's no where NEAR being able to throw that skill on a high beam....or a low beam of regular width even.

Oh no! Not the high beam....the highway beam. It's on the floor and is wider than a real beam. It looks like a two lane highway with a dashed line down the middle. That's why they call it a highway beam.

No, she's no where NEAR being able to throw that skill on a high beam....or a low beam of regular width even.

Oh sorry, I am on my phone and kind of read over that. Still really cool and I bet she will be up the high beam one day anyways ;)

OK, DD cannot do a standing front tuck, she needs to punch into it. She says she can "probably" do a standing FHS. Training L6/7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back