WAG standing tucks at what level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks!! That is exactly what I have noticed. When they are not consistent with good standing back tucks with head neutral, they can easily mess it up when trying layouts, because you kind of need to whip it!

However, one they have solid BHS step out Back Tucks and single back tucks they can start working on BHS step out layout. Do you have the kids work them immediately out of a back handspring or do you teach the standing layout also?

We do both standing back layouts and out of a back handspring.

I don't know when a "good gymnast" should have them, but dd had her standing bt and bhs blo at L4 and her bt on the beam at L7. I'm unaware of her even trying the other skills you listed.

At what Level should a good gymnast be able to do
- standing back tucks
- standing back pikes/layouts
- standing back layout stepouts
- Back Handspring Layout stepout?

Our gym says that at around L6/7 you should have a nice Standing Back Tuck. At L7/8 you should be able to do a layout and layout stepout if you go into it from a back handspring stepout or cartwheel bc it gives you a little power.

Standing Layouts and Standing Layout Stepouts are very hard and it is okay if gymnasts learn them at late at L9/10. Is this correct?

I sometimes see Level 5s doing BHS Layout stepouts and then there are a lot of L7s who can't even back tuck! What is appropriate?

it's a bit ambiguous. kids learn the stuff when they learn it. you can't put a level or age on it.

it's nice that your gym says that...but there is no crystal ball. :)

it's a bit ambiguous. kids learn the stuff when they learn it. you can't put a level or age on it.

I know, I totally agree with you. I just wanted to know if there was kind of an "ideal" point to have it, when they should be introduced etc.

However, I do think back tucks come quite easy with bad technique. Layouts and Layout step outs also, if they put a cartwheel, roundoff or back handspring before. But standing Pikes are hard and in my opinion, a good standing layout step out should only be introduced in higher levels!

Thanks anyways

Also, standing layout step outs are relatively rare even in level 10. Not really worth it, depends on body type as far as how easy it'll be. Most "standing layouts" are going to be a pike because in order to be a layout the body has to be stretched until at least parallel to the floor. Generally you don't see that with a female WAG gymnast on beam unless it's coming from a BHS series.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back