Parents State meet report!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

Hi all,

Well, Olivia had her Level 6 state meet this weekend. Mother's Day of all days. It was nice, though. They gave each of the girls a flower as they walked in during march in. They had them come up to the stands and give their moms the flower, or whomever they came with. It was sweet. And I must also say that this meet was very well run, seemed to take no time at all!

DD was in the Jr A group, ages 7-8. There were 28 girls in her group. Her flight started on Vault. Not her strongest event, especially since her injury. Only scored an 8.1 which is low for her. On to bars. She's been pretty consistant lately. I don't think she made 1 squat on during all the warmups. Well, she did it when it mattered. She only scored an 8.4 but that's a season high for her. If she could only get her casts a bit higher she'd be golden! On to beam. She had a kick-butt routine at practice Friday night, probably the best i've ever seen her do. Her coach told her she was very impressed. Of course, the nerves kick in at states, she does all her skills fine but only scored a 9.05, good enough for 9th place but no medal. :( She's been having floor issues, fear of the back tuck. Well, it happened again during warm-up, she came out of her tuck and came down hard on her back. The whole gym gasped. :eek: So, she was on the sidelines crying and I couldn't go to her. The coach took her out and spotted her, she did it. He did it again, didn't even touch her, she did it. Well, she went out for her turn and I could tell something wasn't right. She goes to do the final pass, does her ROBHS, no back tuck. Finishes, with tears pouring out. My heart was breaking for her, even her brother was upset. She only scored a 6.7 which didn't even matter to me at that point. She's okay now, just have to get back to the gym and do those back tucks again. She did not medal on anything but she had her best bars and beam score of the season. We'll take it!!

Whew, what a long level 6 season. She's looking forward to learning some level 7 skills and her own routines!

Ohhhhh so glad you all survived! Well, it's been a bit of a roller coaster season for you but I agree, she really was a trooper coming thru injury and gym change right before states...but she did it! I am so proud of her for going out there, especially after the warm-up fiasco. I think that back tuck thing was probably just nerves kicking in at the wrong time. She can relax now and enjoy her "off season" and take some time to catch her breath. Now that the post injury/gym swap stress is behind her she can focus on fixing the old stuff and learning some new stuff! 9th place ROCKS for beam. My DD just missed beam medal at states by .25 but like your DD was the routine of her life. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your Mother's Day, nice touch to give moms a flower. Sending your DD big cyber ((HUG)) for doing so great! L6 states at her age is AWESOME!

Goodness what a lot of drama! I bet you are both ready to say goodbye to L6 and move on out of compulsories!!:) Way to go on the season high beam and bars scores, too! I didn't realize your DD was so young. Good for her...wow what a career she has ahead of her!:D

hey Netty! We were in the same session as you all. I think I was one of the people that gasped when Olivia balked in her floor warmup. It looked like it really hurt. I give her sssoooo much credit for getting back out there a attempting to compete it. She should hold her head high!

It was weird. I knew her history with injuries and gym switching. So when she had her problems on floor and seeing her cry. I TOO wanted to go down and give her a hug.

There was some fierce competition there. It is crazy that a 9.05 didn't even place.

My DD didn't have her best meet either. Nerves! Fell on her squat on and I am not sure what she was doing on floor..it was all sorts of messy :) No medals for her either.

Personal bests on bars and beam is awesome!!!!! And fear issues can be so hard to deal with and watch. She'll get that back tuck--she seems like a very hard worker and very determined!!! Congrats to two season highs at a very competitive state meet!!

Congrats to her on those personal bests and for getting out there and going for her floor routine after getting hurt during warm up. She is so young to be a level 6, I think she has done awesome! Good luck to her uptraining!! Hope she has fun.

I think the host gym had such a nice idea of giving the girls flowers to hand to their moms---you should keep that one. Now all the stress/anxiety of the injury and gym change are behind her and dd can take a deep breath and just enjoy the gym while really getting to know the other girls.

Tell her to have a fun summer in her new gym!! WTG on bars/beam. Believe me scoring 9+ at L6 on beam is pretty tough.

Congrats on the personal bests! Fear is a very powerful thing. Very proud of her for going out there and giving it her all. She did awesome! It's been a rollercoaster ride this season for her. It'll be good to have the summer to work on level 7. Will she be competing level 7 next year, or don't they determine that until the end of summer?

Sorry she had a rough time with the floor but she did great in the other events. If she did not feel confortable it was probally better for her not to attempt it and reinjure herself. I also agree that her beam score was great and was shocked that she did not place. I think it was a great accomplishment for her to qualify and make it to states at her age and the added stress of an injury and gym switching. Hope she has a good summer and is excited about training level7 and getting her own routines!

Congrats on the personal bests! Fear is a very powerful thing. Very proud of her for going out there and giving it her all. She did awesome! It's been a rollercoaster ride this season for her. It'll be good to have the summer to work on level 7. Will she be competing level 7 next year, or don't they determine that until the end of summer?

Thank you all for your well wishes.

I don't know what the new gym does in terms of moving girls up. I know she'd be upset if she had to repeat 6. I'd rather her repeat 7! They started working on Level 7 skills already so I think by the end of the summer she'll be ready. She already has a song pick out for her floor routine so let's hope! She also did 3 giants in a row on strap bar the other night so she's making progress!

Congrats on competing at states, its very exciting--sorry about floor but it's over now and she can look forward to her new skills and her own routine :) which should make for a fun summer!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back