Parents state meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well daughter survived her state meet this weekend. She has had less than 2 weeks where she has been back in the gym for full practice since her wrists were injured. I was not even sure she was going to be able to compete so I was really proud of her. I think she did really well in all the events except floor which I knew would be difficult. I could barely look at her floor routine and my husband said she hestited on her ROBHSBHS like she was afraid but she went out there and did it. I was really afraid that she would be scared of this skill after her injury. She got only a 7.8 ,her other scores were all mid to high 8's. She got an 33.6AA which I think was really good considering but of course she was not happy with ( there were really good teams plus her teamates did all time bests so she placed at lower end of the scores but not last).
I tried explaining that she has really been able to practice her whole routines for about 2 months. Well tonight she said she was thinking about quitting which is unlike her but I am sure she will get over it. I wish I could make her look at how well she did by coming back from an injury so fast and competing. She has one more meet then she is moving on to level6.

Amazing that she did so well after such a big break.

THat is the problem when competing quickly after injury, trust me I know, that they often think they will be as good as new when they do compete. They do not realise that inside their heads there is a little mental game going on as well.

As to the quitting, give it a few weeks, she might enjoy the uptraining that should come after states and find it fun again.

Wow it sounds like she did GREAT!!

I think we are our own worst critic!
I hope she realises how good she did and even more so with the fact she hasnt had a good practice in!!

WTG to your dd on a good meet!!

Well now she denies that she even said she was thinking about quitting and is hoping to improve her scores at her next meet. I am sure they will improve with more practice. When she started out the season she was getting higher scores because she had her skills down really well (she placed 2ndAA in her 1st meet). I think everybody just caught up the judging got tougher and she had to take off from her injury. Plus I am sure that judging at a state meet is a bit tougher. The most important thing is that she is pain free when doing gymnastics! She seems to have the right attitude by just moving on to the next meet and trying to improve.

Congrats to your dd for overcoming the injury and going out there and doing her best. Even though her best wasn't as good as she wanted to do, let her know that it is ALWAYS admirable to try your best under any circumstances especially coming back from an injury.

I know what you mean about the others catching up. It can be hard to make sense of it all when you have different judges and different circumstances with each gymnast--you really never know what will happen at any given meet. The important thing is to be proud of what you do and if there are improvements to be made then that will be your next goal.

I am glad that your dd's spirits are back up and she is looking ahead to the next challenge. Learning to let go of past meets and focussing on the future will really help her go far in this sport. Congrats and I am glad that her injuries have healed!!!

I think she should be very proud of herself. She did great after coming back from injury. I hope she has a great summer training!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back