Teaching backflips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone have any good drills, quick fixes or methodologies for teaching a backflip? Specifically some of my gymnastics tend to have long low backflips with trouble turning over.

on what apparatus? connected at the end of a tumbling pass or standin?

Floor. Both standing and tumbling. However you would introduce and teach them.

I have a decent idea of how to teach them, but i like to collect different methods as in the long run i will be a more versatile coach.

back pullover on tramp and off block while laying down into pit or mat.

eventually harness, hand spotted on tramp.

then out of a snapdown from block and mini tramp or block on tumble track.

for standing, spotted from a panel mat, im not a big fan of doing them off a big block into pit or spotted so Id rather just spot them.

Just to clarify. In Australia: Backflip = Back handspring :D I thought it was universal.

Then I'm a little confused. A back handspring is supposed to be lower and a bit flat. Do you mean they are drilling their hands into the floor? or is it just taking up a lot of space?

Thought so :)

From standing - sitting too low so the jump goes straight back instead of up and back. Not pushing through feet and legs so not enough momentum to lift hips. Head position wrong so gymnast believes they are jumping at the right angle when in fact they're not.

From round off - very bent legs in rebound out of round off, not enough snap to lift chest so legs have to bend, round off not finished in tight dish (or finished at all) before attempting the flip etc

So many things it could be! Would need to be more specific for drills.

But I suspect you know that :)

I like to say "sit back like falling into a chair then jump over the chair, not into it" You can also use a mat stack for jump drills to get the jump to go up instead of back.

I like to say "sit back like falling into a chair then jump over the chair, not into it"
I'm steeling that :p

I realize you don't have much information about their back handsprings but i am more interested in how you go about teaching the skill. :D if that makes sense.

I'm steeling that :p

I realize you don't have much information about their back handsprings but i am more interested in how you go about teaching the skill. :D if that makes sense.

It depends on the kids. lol. With my little developmental kids (and even my younger rec kids), I really dislike the back handspring over a barrel method. However, our team coaches teach them with barrels with great success. It's all a preference thing, I suppose. I like barrels for the jump, but I dislike the fact that the kids have no choice really but to pike it down at the end. ya know? I prefer to set up different jump drills (other than the barrel) and then also drills to help them learn the block from the shoulders, the arch-hollow shape change, and I do a lot of hand spotting to ensure proper shapes through the entirety of the skill.

When I taught tumbling classes that consisted of mostly older/bigger kids and cheerleaders, I did use the barrels and other training devices to save my shoulder and back.

Is that what you were looking for? Or were you asking about specific techniques and drills?

I also begin teaching back handsprings to prone in the beginning. It reinforces snapping to a hollow position as opposed to piking down.

Re: using a barrel to connect a round off and a back handspring, I do not typically connect the skills until they have a good round off with a rebound and a decent concept of a standing back handspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back