WAG Time to Quit + Transitioning Sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast4

Feeling so conflicted right now. I'm in my 5th year of gymnastics & I'm 14 and going into 10th grade next year. I competed L3, L4, and Xcel Gold for two years but at this point I feel like I'm pretty stuck progress wise. I haven't made major progress over the past 2 years- I've been stuck with only a robhs and front tuck as my only tumbling for years. I've improved all my skills on every event but am incapable of gaining new ones. I am 5'7" and the tallest girl in my gym which I'm finding is making gymnastics so much harder. I do still enjoy gymnastics somewhat but am feeling pretty discouraged and I've always wanted to try dance and softball. The only reason I am still doing gym right now (just quit team doing rec) is because I wanted to do HS gym next winter but my chances of making the team are pretty slim. Does anyone have experience with this and how did your transition into new things go? Do you miss gym? I just don't want to make a decision I will regret because I do love gymnastics. Thanks :)

I am a parent, not a gymnast, but I have seen many girls quit over the years. I think a gymnastics foundation will prepare you well for any other sport, so I wouldn't worry about it. Think about it - you are strong and flexible and can do amazing things with your body - that will help you in anything you try to do. Good luck with your decision!

I guess it depends on why you're "incapable gaining new skills." Is it because no one can spot you? A lack of coaching? Or is because of fears or physical limitations such as strength?

I guess it depends on why you're "incapable gaining new skills." Is it because no one can spot you? A lack of coaching? Or is because of fears or physical limitations such as strength?
I have plenty of coaching and spotting so I guess it is just physical limitations that can't be overcome. I have some fears but no extreme mental blocks. I'm fairly strong and do plenty of conditioning in gym & at home but I could definitely be stronger.

I have plenty of coaching and spotting so I guess it is just physical limitations that can't be overcome. I have some fears but no extreme mental blocks. I'm fairly strong and do plenty of conditioning in gym & at home but I could definitely be stronger.
Well good luck with whatever you decide! If you're having fun still and you're just taking a while to get the next set of skills, keep pushing. If you're bored and don't think they're ever going to come then go ahead and try something new! Gymnastics, though it feels like it sometimes, isn't necessarily life. :)

How long are you training each week? In a recreational class you should be able to go for one class (approx. 2 hours) a week and still have time for other sports and things. At the very least it will help you in other sports, more strength, coordination and flexibility will be gained even if skills are not.

Well good luck with whatever you decide! If you're having fun still and you're just taking a while to get the next set of skills, keep pushing. If you're bored and don't think they're ever going to come then go ahead and try something new! Gymnastics, though it feels like it sometimes, isn't necessarily life. :)
Thanks! I think I am going to do 1 class per week in addition to a new sport and see how that works out. I think I was just so worried about trying something new because all I have ever done was gymnastics that I didn't realize I don't have to commit fully to one thing. Your comment helped a lot, thanks :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back