Coaches Tiny hands on Giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
Hi - I have a Level 7 gymnast who is learning giants along with the rest of her group, but she has really teeny tiny hands. All the other girls are getting them just fine, but this girl feels like she is always going to peel. She is twelve and small in general, so I don't think her hands are going to grow a lot. I've had her practice casting and staying very hollow on the way down, but it hasn't helped much. My question is, would grips help her? She has never used them but I wonder if they would help her hold on to the bar that much. And what kind would be best? Any other suggestions would help as well. Thanks!

My dd is 12 and now measures 5 1/5 inches she is wearing size 0 Reisport grips. She started wearing grips when she was almost 10 for Level 7 and had a very very hard time transitioning to grips because her hands were so small and she peeled dozens of time (into a pit). Can she swing down and do a flyaway? How does she feel when she does that? Maybe the narrow grips would be better? My dd learned her giants from 3/4 handstand to 3/4 handstand and gradually the "pullover" part got closer and closer to handstand and then they gradually got the cast higher and higher - cured the peeling problem! We also did tons and tons and tons on the strap bar.

yes. hot shot grips made by US Glove or use tape/gauze grips.:)

My 10 yo ds has tiny hands (Reisport 00) and the grips have helped a ton! He finally was able to swing with confidence and bigger. HE wears grips on rings now too, and his swings are getting bigger. He says he feels like he can hold on better. I know the bars are different for girls/boys but that is our experience with grips.

I suspect she's pretty timid and slow on the phase of the swing that converts her from rightside up to upside down. It's a pretty natural reaction, but IMO it will cause even more "grip insecurity".

Thinking of a string being swung around a stick.....as the string revolves around the stick it is wound or wrapped more completely as it moves through the circle. This kids hands need to be wound around the bar more completely to get the grip security she wants, and the best way to do that is for her to concentrate her energy on getting upside down and around before her hands have a chance to "unwind".

Most kids usually aim for the handstand when they're learning giants, and that just isn't enough circular energy to get a good grip. She needs to swing well past the handstand, which in her mind she's already doing, so you've got to come up with a drill or some way of convincing her to focus on bringing her toes around farther than ever before letting her shoulders elevate from the bottom of the swing, and to keep that "toes around" energy going while she elevates and rolls her wrists to transition her hands from hang to support.

That's what works for me.

Thank you all! We've ordered the smallest size US Glove grips (the ones for kids over 70 pounds I think) and we will see how they work when they come in! It's great to have your opinions and experiences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back