WAG Training TOPs/Hopes/PreElite and JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

windydays

Proud Parent
My daughter is very interested in training the elite route and doesn't really care about JO. Right now she is training both, and it is hard for me to understand the benefit of training both at the same time. She will be competing in the spring and learning JO routines. Would it be beneficial for her to find an elite program only and devote all her hours to that, or do I need to be patient and the results will come later?

How old is she and what level? Unless she's already level 9 with a lot of level 10 skills, most programs will have her in their developmental program which includes JO compulsory and optional competition. Nowadays most girls go to level 10 before elite. Not all elite programs even do Hopes.

How old is she and what level? Unless she's already level 9 with a lot of level 10 skills, most programs will have her in their developmental program which includes JO compulsory and optional competition. Nowadays most girls go to level 10 before elite. Not all elite programs even do Hopes.

She is 10 and will be competing Level 8. Last I heard from the gym, she has all her Level 8 skills except flipping the vault (working on that now). I don't stay at the gym so I end up hearing the scoop on my daughter from other parents or the coaches. I know she has her full on floor because they just reworked her floor routine and put that in.

It sounds like she is on track to getting where she wants to be...

Does your gym have elites now, or in the past? If they know how to get girls to elite, then let them do it. If you doubt their ability to get her to elite, then I would find a gym with a track record of producing elites, and let them get her there however they think best. I don't know, but that's what I would do. We've got a couple of 9 year-olds who just finished L8, but neither wants the elite path. Good Luck!

She is 10 and will be competing Level 8. Last I heard from the gym, she has all her Level 8 skills except flipping the vault (working on that now). I don't stay at the gym so I end up hearing the scoop on my daughter from other parents or the coaches. I know she has her full on floor because they just reworked her floor routine and put that in.

It sounds like she is on track to getting where she wants to be...

Does your gym have an elite program?

Does your gym have an elite program?

Our gym does not have an established elite program. We have sent girls to national TOPs testing, had a gymnast on B team, had a gymnast qualify for HOPES, had gymnasts at Nationals. The past gymnasts opted to stop training, so it fizzled out. I really don't have anything to gauge except the owner of the gym is moving forward with the girls he has now.

Our gym does not have an established elite program. We have sent girls to national TOPs testing, had a gymnast on B team, had a gymnast qualify for HOPES, had gymnasts at Nationals. The past gymnasts opted to stop training, so it fizzled out. I really don't have anything to gauge except the owner of the gym is moving forward with the girls he has now.

So how close are you to an elite gym?

There's a long way between Level 8 and elite....and remember, elite is beyond level 10. I would dig deeper into why she wants elite and does she really know what it entails...she may be happy doing JO, especially if the gym you are at doesn't have any elites.

Training elite is not something that every gym wants to take on...it's expensive and very labor intensive for the gymnast, coach and gym itself. Make sure you're at a place that will do it....and successfully...and by that I mean not just taking your money to bring her to qualifiers she won't do well at...make sure wherever you have her has the tools for the task

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back