Parents Ugh, need ankle fairies!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Older DD had a great week at practice. She actually began to fix her ROBHSBHS issues on Tuesday...came home so excited that she had done them with straight legs finally (it's been a LONG process). She has a big travel meet next weekend, the first of the season. It's a fun meet where all the girls stay in the same hotel...a big party basically!:)

Last night she was doing her floor routine and fell on her hitchkick and rolled her ankle (there was someone else who recently did this at a meet on the CB!:(). She iced it and was able to do bars last night after sitting out.

She woke up this morning and it is swollen and huge. I am taking her to the doctor today...please send good thoughts our way, she is going to be devastated if she has to miss her first meet. :( Next one is not till January!:( She has been crying all day. Poor kid, she just can't seem to catch a break. (did I just say BREAK:eek:)?

UGH!

Sending positive vibes your way! I hope it's nothing serious and will heal quickly so that she can compete next weekend! Maybe look into getting an ankle brace of some type? That might help her feel a bit more secure on it. I hope you get good news at the doctor.

Sending lots of positive thougths your way. I hope that you get good news from the Dr.

Hoping it is nothing serious. DD had a teammate that hurt her ankle and it was swollen and looked bad, but it was a sprain and she was tumbling again and doing stuff in less than 2 weeks. Hoping your DD will heal really fast and get to do her meet.

DD had similar issues last spring. She was able to wear and ASO brace and get back to tumbling as soon as the swelling went down. Here's hoping that you heal fast and get good news at the Dr.!

I'll trade you ankle fairies for knee fairies! We're in a very similar position right now. Down with injury and first meet is next weekend. Mine also had a similar ankle injury last year the week before states. It was awful looking and I figured she was out for sure. She was able to compete and did very respectable considering! Of course, that was at the end of meet season and not the beginning. I don't know that we will be as quick to let her compete after this injury...we'll see! Hope both our girls heal quickly!!

Crossing fingers, toes, arms and legs that it is nothing major. Poor thing, sending her hugs from Cali :)

Positive thoughts and healing fairies coming your way. Since its the beginning of the season, you may want to get some good at home exericises she can do to keep the strength up in that ankle all season.

Well, we went to the doc and he thought it might be broken because of the bruising...so off to the x-ray we went.

They called at about 4pm and told us it was NOT broken but probably sprained. She is sitting out of practice and supposed to be off it until Monday, then she is allowed to practice but only do what does not cause her pain. They said she can go to the meet if she is not in pain with her routines. So...I guess we wait until next week to see how practice goes? We are also going to try to get into a sports med PT next week but I am a little doubtful.

This whole "she can do whatever, as long as it does not cause her pain" thing makes me nervous because then I have to trust my 9 yr old to stop when she is in pain:(. Hopefully the weekend of rest, ice, ibuprofen, wrapping, and elevation will help a LOT? The doctor said that with sprains in young kids, 36 hrs can make a big difference in healing. I hope he is right.

Thanks all for the thoughts and fairies. I'm so glad it isn't broken!

That doctor speaks the truth I think..I was really amazed at how quickly my gymmie's ankle improved last spring. Like I said earlier..I would have put money on her being out of state competition with hers. That doctor speaks the truth I hope...because I'm really hoping the next 36 hours prove to be very healing for us, too! I'm always able to tell just how much mine is really hurting..cause there is not much that will keep mine from tumbling! She really does pretty well at monitoring her comfort level. Keep us posted on her recovery!

Sprains do come in all shapes. I had some massively bad ones including torn ligaments that took forever to heal but just last sunday I rolled my ankle on the trampoling and while I definitely felt the muscle pull and it was pretty swollen right away it did not hurt a lot. Its feeling much better today and I might be competing all 4 on Sunday. Definitely all but vault though. It feels a little odd on balances as well as landing leaps on one foot but that might be a mental thing though. I will not be doing any back tumbling or switch leaps (its the ankle I take off from/land on) as its a fairly low key competition with low requirements but basically the point is that some of these, while they might look bad (mine was pretty big and blue the next morning, but again, Ive had worse) they can heal quite quickly - hope this is true for your daughter (because surely, they can also be really bad!)

Me too! I would put in a word for the ASO brace too, though- they cost about $30 and you get them at sporting goods stores. They prevent the "ankle turn" and allow you to heal without reinjuring the foot.

Doc sent my dd home with one, and during her soccer game it got uncomfortable so she took it off- next play she got knocked over, rolled the ankle again, and had a walking cast for two weeks.

Me too! I would put in a word for the ASO brace too, though- they cost about $30 and you get them at sporting goods stores. They prevent the "ankle turn" and allow you to heal without reinjuring the foot.

Doc sent my dd home with one, and during her soccer game it got uncomfortable so she took it off- next play she got knocked over, rolled the ankle again, and had a walking cast for two weeks.

OUCH! That stinks. Our head coach is not a fan of letting the girls wear wraps, braces, etc. It's a long story...:(...but without a doctor's note saying she needs one, she's not allowed to wear it. I may look into getting a note though. Since we got the xrays back at 4pm on Friday, the doctor was gone and so I need to call the office back on Monday. I am going to try to get her in to a sports med PT to give us some ideas for rehab and strength to hopefully prevent injuring it more.

Along with the note which you really shouldn't need, make sure the coaches know that if that ankle starts bothering her, they sit her down no matter how much she protests.

The doc charged insurance $160 for the brace, but the same one is $30ish at Modell's. We got take home PT exercises too and a little rubber band :)

DD's ordeal was in the spring- she's doing great now- thanks!

Glad it's not broken--and I think she will stop when she's in pain. She's not old enough yet to want to push through it. Good luck to her! I hope it heals quickly. And ice, ice, ice!

UPDATE:
She made it through a 4 hour practice tonight with no pain!:D:D:D
It is amazing how fast they can heal. Hoping it can stay under control so she can compete with her team on Sunday (first level 5 meet!) Thank you for all the good thoughts, I am convinced that they helped!

Hi! It was my DD that fell on her hitchkick at a meet! Luckily her ankle did not swell up or anything! I am glad to hear that your DD did not break her ankle! I would still go to the meet even if your DD does not compete since she will get to hang out with her friends and cheer them on!! Last year my DD did break her foot but she went to support her team and did finally compete two meets but only on bars!
Isn't it funny how these girls can hurt themselves on the little things but still do all the scary stuff without incident?!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back