Parents Unintentionally embarrassed my gymmie.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some kids can pull a sickie because of stress ( know that's why they have a 'sore ' tummy ) but with true anxiety based physical complaints there is no magical connection in a child's mind .... Or for that matter- in a GP's/ paeds mind- hence the myriad of tests ruling out other possibilities

She is old enough to level with you about the stomach ache being related. Ask her.
The stomach issue sorted itself out. Something, ahem expected for a while. Hope boys team coach doesn't overhear what I am sure will be a topic of conversation amongst she and her teammates. I have talked to DD about speaking to the owner and or the offending coach. She absolutely does not want me to. I have learned my lesson. Will be much more careful about lobby conversations. Still will be watchful. I will talk to daughter about inappropriate comments about weight. She really has a pretty good self image and I would love for it to stay that way. Thanks for the advice and opportunity to vent without creating gym drama.

I am so glad the stomach issue worked out, and yes, one more thing....argh. I am sorry you went through this, I know it was not fun.

The stomach issue sorted itself out. Something, ahem expected for a while. Hope boys team coach doesn't overhear what I am sure will be a topic of conversation amongst she and her teammates. I have talked to DD about speaking to the owner and or the offending coach. She absolutely does not want me to. I have learned my lesson. Will be much more careful about lobby conversations. Still will be watchful. I will talk to daughter about inappropriate comments about weight. She really has a pretty good self image and I would love for it to stay that way. Thanks for the advice and opportunity to vent without creating gym drama.
Well, I'm glad the stomach issue wasn't anxiety related. I am still upset that the boys team coach acted that way and hope he does not continue. She and her teammates are at a very sensitive point regarding body image.

Well, I'm glad the stomach issue wasn't anxiety related. I am still upset that the boys team coach acted that way and hope he does not continue. She and her teammates are at a very sensitive point regarding body image.
Me too. Thanks

So yesterday I was picking up Dd. I was about 15 min early and was chatting about various things with the owner of the gym. I didn't realize that the boys team coach was just inside the office and overheard our conversation. What we were discussing was the toll pre teen and teen changes take on gymnastics. Teens leaving the sport due to physical changes and school opportunities. I mentioned that Dd had grown about 3 inches and gained about 15 lbs this year and that it has helped her tumbling but she was really struggling at bars. So the boys coach who tends to be a little sarcastic told my Dd. She came out after practice angry and said "thanks for talking to people about me, behind my back." She said the other coach seemed annoyed and said in front of the boys team and her teammates. "Your mom is out in the lobby bragging about your gymnastics since you gained 15 lbs." She didn't go to practice today. Now I am embarrassed I don't want to go into the gym at all. I am also a little angry at the other coach. Who is most at fault here and will time fix it? What to say to daughter? Or just let it blow over. BTW she is 12.5

okay, the boys coach is young and rough around the edges. i'm sure he wasn't really annoyed. say something to the owner. i'm sure these are the kind of issues the owner has with this coach regularly. understand? boys coaches are a tad insensitive at times. he didn't mean any harm but he still needs a talking to. :)

he didn't mean any harm but he still needs a talking to. :)

I agree totally with this. YOUR daughter may have a good body image, but what about the next girl who receives an thoughtless remark from this coach. He "may not know any better (bless his heart)", but how will he learn if he's never told what is acceptable and what is not?

Honestly this is a bigger issue than just your daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back