MAG What are the guys up to this summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
And how are our walking wounded doing? Hopefully healing and not driving their parents too far up the wall while doing so??

DS's group of guys who competed L5 this past year are working on twists off the trampoline, front/back tuck drills, loops on ground pommel horses with and without pommels, giants, and moys (according to DS). I saw them working on giants in straps a few days ago -- a couple of them actually managed to get swinging enough to make it around on their own! They are all very pleased with themselves. The guy who struggled most with mushroom during the meet season just made 30 consecutive circles!

Well, D is working on rehabing his shoulder :( But, he is able to do pommel so he is working his stocki and moore on hte handles. He has both and loves it. It cracks me up how he loves pommel. He is also work front and back fulls, since he is still not using arms much...LOL

PLans include front giants, giant-giant flyaway, moy-support, and pretty much any level 7 and higher skill he can get to!

I love watching the progress this time of year. D is still frustrated that he isn't making much progress but I told him it will come quickly once he is healed.

My son is one week into a two week break from the gym. One week of it the gym is closed, the other week is because of his practice schedule and the spring show. He is absolutely, positively driving me bonkers! I can't wait till next week Wed when he can practice again. I wish I could share all kinds of great things he has been doing, but all he is doing is circles on the mushroom downstairs.

We're still preteam- two days, 1.5 hours a week- but the plan is to compete next season as a level 4. He's a 3 now according to his coach (funny, as another gym said he was a 1 two months ago) and the new gym is right on track to be a great gym. It's not even been open a month yet and it's already got a great reputation. The past few weeks things have really started to click. It's fascinating to watch as they "get" it. He's starting to concentrate (he's only five) and its showing. If it were up to him he'd be in the gym every day but he has to settle for practice and an hour of open gym once a week. Plus we have a mushroom so he's getting lots of practice with it. Another gym family (already on team) lives across the street and both boys enjoy practicing together on the mushroom and doing floor. The older one loves showing my DS what he can do and my DS is a sponge learning all he can.

Summer is supposed to be the same schedule. Though it may change a tiny bit. They are running a camp so team will practice in the afternoon/early evening as usual we've been told.

that is great to hear! I do love when things start to make sense :) When will he be 6? The little ones are so fun to watch as they start to master those basics!

Looks like D will be moving to the later workout...19 hours a week starting in June...should be interesting!!

He's a Christmas Day baby, so he just barely makes the cutoff for competition here in Tx according to HC. There are four of them with Oct, Nov and Dec birthdays that he plans to pull for level 4 next season. DS is ready now, lol- quite the determined little fellow. They will do a few local meets, it will be a great experience for them. That's the main goal for level 4 at our gym.

That is lucky that he will do it. USAG cutoff is Sept 1. D had to wait a year to compete 5 because he wasn't 7 by the cutoff. But it sounds like it will be fun.

From what I understand and it's been explained to me it's a rule that applies to those turning six before Jan 1 exclusively. After that it's the age they are as of Sept 1.

that would be the difference. They can compete after they turn 6, just not before. Nice. D was already 6, so he had to do level4. How cool for your son.

I found the paperwork explaining it. For the USAG JO program (off the website) -it's " ... the level assigned by his competitive age as of Sept 1 with the exception that a gymnast may compete level 4 after he has turned six years old at any time during the competitive season."

Yeah. He is super excited. And is ready to go. We went to a few meets to watch our neighbor and he loved it, was dying to be out there.

I'm just glad for this forum (and my neighbor) to help lead us through this path! He's been doing it two years now and it took a bit to find the right gym for him (we found it then followed the HC to his new gym). But now all has settled into place and he's good to go on track (as the HC has planned since last summer.)

My DS is over his ankle fracture and back in practice. We are in the midst of changing gyms, so he is a little nervous about that. This coming week is the first week at the old gym of the change over to new levels, so we are going ahead and swapping to the new gym a little earlier than we initially planned (we had planned 2nd week of June). The gym is mostly closed this week though, so we will just be doing one open workout so that all of the kids (DS and my 2 DDs) can meet their new team mates. Then the next week if is off to Flip Fest for a week! They get done at FF on that Friday and the new gym has team camp starting while they are at FF; but they will make it for the Saturday and Sunday of camp. And then we start the new gym/new schedule full on. I'm excited to have all 3 kids' schedules crossing, so we will only be in the gym for 3 days per week for the summer. YAY!!! All school year we have been at the gym 5 days per week due to one kid or the other having practice and traffic being too bad for us to go home and come back to pick up. It is amazing to me that the kids are all going up significantly in hours; but we will be actually spending less time at the gym.

As for new skills... I think that DS's coach said he has his inlocate now (while I am physically at the gym for practice, I'm rarely paying attention to practice ;)). I do know that he is doing his RO BHSBHS on the tramp; but not the floor (I think). Oh, and he is up to 23 circles on the mushroom.:D

My DS had a disappointing end of season. He got ear infection after ear infection with fluid in the ear and extreme dizziness. This kept him out of the last regular meet of the season, state meet, and regionals. So thankful for his coaches words that got him through this. My son was also struggling with hip pain for over a year now. He was recently diagnosed with tendonitis in the hip and starts physical therapy today. The hip pain really just affects L-sit /mana type positions that hurt him. He is still able to do most things.

He is coming home daily with something new that he learned or improved. He will be a level 8 this year so pommel horse now has the pommels on. The skills mentioned last night were magyar with 3 loops in the center on pommel horse. I guess the 3 loops in the center make that a bonus for level 8. The other skill he got last night was the straight arm press handstand on rings. Some of the other new or improved skills in the last few weeks are endos and stallters on highbar, on p-bars two giants into a moy, a double off p-bars, a couple new vaults – I think hand front was one of them. He also is always excited about the conditioning. They did some endurance conditioning the other day and he loved it. He is loving it all.

I hope the hip pain goes away with the physical therapy!

Wow, sounds like he is picking up some very exciting skills! That must make him feel a little better about the end of the meet season. I also hope his hip pain resolves soon. I'm a big fan of PT.

Hello! Glad to find these forums! My DS is training for the age 10 FS program - fingers crossed! He is in a good place right now to hopefully that will continue. He will also be off for a week at IGC and we have tickets for the US Championships in Hartford. Busy gymnastics summer!

D so wants to be working new skills! It is killing him. As it is, he is doing pommel a lot :) He says he has his magyar and savato? Also, stocki and moore. He is pretty stoked. Not sure what is next. He gets to do some p-bars (above bar work only) so he is working a lot of strength and support swings. . Tried to tumble last night, but it hurt too bad. Coach says that this injury just takes forever.

Love seeing what our wonderful boys are doing!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back