What hair style works best, for your DD hair type?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bog I showed my daughter that picture of your little one's hair (with the small braids into the bun) nearly three years ago and she ended up wearing that style all through level 4 and 5, either with a bun or a pony tail. In fact at her first gym the entire level 4 team ended up wearing it because it was just enough to dress up a bun without being ostentatious. It is still my favorite look when she competes, though she doesn't let me put her hair up much anymore now that she's super mature and nearly ten.

Oh that is too cool. I always loved it as well and I was quite sad when she "outgrew" it and wanted just a ponytail.

Oh that is too cool. I always loved it as well and I was quite sad when she "outgrew" it and wanted just a ponytail.

I want to try that one on my DD too, but probably not this weekend... we'll try it for a meet where I won't have to be doing her hair before 8am.

Bog- How long does it take to do the hairstyles on your girls? Realistically for a first timer who has never attempted it? :) Looks fabulous!

I am hair challenged so poor dd always has just a long braid. We tried the curly ponytail which looked cute but once got in the way during a back extension roll. Won't make that mistake again. ;) Last meet there was a professional photographer and dd had a braid across her face in most of the photos. Looking for a sleeker (though not too difficult to do) look. Thanks!

Deanna, that pic of your daughter is so cute! The "messy" look is beautiful on her.

PS, I hope the cupcakes were good, she is certainly working hard on them.

Bog- How long does it take to do the hairstyles on your girls? Realistically for a first timer who has never attempted it? :) Looks fabulous!

I am hair challenged so poor dd always has just a long braid. We tried the curly ponytail which looked cute but once got in the way during a back extension roll. Won't make that mistake again. ;) Last meet there was a professional photographer and dd had a braid across her face in most of the photos. Looking for a sleeker (though not too difficult to do) look. Thanks!

Well to be honest not too long, 15 minutes for Bigger bogs braids and bun. The spider web takes about 30 minutes.

Start with the right tools. A good brush that smooths hair into a ponytail, a tail comb (that is a comb with a long pointy tail) a spray bottle with water in it, a bottle of spray gel, good thick covered elastics, strong hold hairspray and sparkles!

Patience is the key. Practice before the meet, find a good show for DD to watch, as then the wiggling is reduced.

For Bigger bog's hair the first thing to do is to make a part about 1.5 inches back from the hairline, make it straight. Spray the hair with water and use the tailcomb to make this easier. Get DD to hold the hair forward over her face whilst you brush, spray and smooth the rest of the hair back into a high pony tail, secure with an elastic well. THat elastic will stay in the hair so make sure the pony tail is nice.

Then divide the front hair into six equal pieces, pull back one section at a time towards the ponytail and spray with gel, comb and then braid, when the braid is long enough put a small elastic in it, this elastic will be removed later, so it doesn't matter about colour etc. Braid all six pieces of hair, making sure they are pulled back towards the ponytail when you do it and that they are well sprayed with gel.

Now pull all six tiny braids back to the ponytail and secure them with a good, strong elastic, this will stay in place so use the right colour. Remove the six elastics from the tiny braids and smooth the end into the ponty tail.

Spray pony tail with water and with gel, make sure it is well sprayed. Hold the ponytail up toards the ceiling and twist it, as you twist the pony will pull itself down, use that to keep twisting until it forms a bun. Secure around the bottom with a third strong elastic. Spray with masses of strong hold spray, add a scrunchie and then spray with sparkles. Et voila!

The spiderweb is way more involved and requires a lot of patience and a tough scalp, you can do this the night before and it can last for over a week. Just google for instructions, they are all over the web (!).

For ridiculous thick, heavy, slippery hair (that'd be mine)...

I did spiderweb all the way around into a bun with 3 hairnets holding the bun, usually. It took forever and ever but it also stayed forever and ever.

Hi, I have very similar hair to your DD long (probably about 2/3 down my back - so not quite as long) and thin and I have worked out that the best way for my to do my hair is a high pony tail with 5 little plats in it and tuck it under with another hair tie so there is a loop. Reinforce with lots of hairspray

And Texasrose, for the buns my friend used to do two braids and then tie them together into one ponytail and then bun it so that it would stay out of the way, could this work for you??

My DD's hair is only just past her shoulders, and we just do a ponytail. For her first meet one of the senior gymnasts who is now a junior coach braided the front of all the girls' hair before doing the ponytail and it was really cute. But most of us moms are hair challenged, and if that junior coach isn't doing the hair we just do a straight ponytail. DD's hair is fine and slippery and does not stay in clips, so I slick the whole thing back with a strong gel when it is damp and her hair does not move for the whole meet!

Alex's hair is very thin and slick as well! I have tried french braids but I cannot seem to make them tight enough. I have also tried the spiderwebs but with the fine thin hair all you see is scalp! Anymore we just do a high pony tail into a bun and her bangs (she just HAD to get side bangs!! sigh...) we just clip them to the side like this and spray lots and lots of hairspray!! AQUANET RULES!!!

Alex's hair is very thin and slick as well! I have tried french braids but I cannot seem to make them tight enough. I have also tried the spiderwebs but with the fine thin hair all you see is scalp! Anymore we just do a high pony tail into a bun and her bangs (she just HAD to get side bangs!! sigh...) we just clip them to the side like this and spray lots and lots of hairspray!! AQUANET RULES!!!

Yeah, my dd has super-fine hair that shows lots of scalp too... except that her white-blonde hair is pretty much the same color as her scalp, so it's not so noticable. Except for after it's first done and her scalp is flaming red from the pulling. I think we're done with the super-complicated hair styles (I didn't do them for her anyway, a teammate's mom did). But she does want me to take a crack a Bog's braided bun, so maybe sometime when she's watching TV, I'll see if it's something that the hair-challenged can acheive.

DD's hair is thick, long and all one length. There are so many cute/fun things I could do with it but she prefers a low ponytail and lots of gel/hairspray/mousse and glitter to hold it in place. Works for me-- very easy to do in about 5-10 mins tops.

TexasRose - I saw a girl at our last meet with 2 french braids and the ends were tucked up under. it did look king of weird because there were these 2 nubs sticking out at the bottom of each braid (above her neck) but all her hair was completely up and out of the way.

We do 2 french braids gathered in a pony at the end. Sometimes it is a high pony and sometimes I braid it all the way out and just connect them at the very end. My dd has thick curly hair, so I have to style it wet, usually after I straighten it at least some.

found the video and copies some still off it - hope you can see the hair okay

Snapshot 1 (16-11-2011 20-33).png

Snapshot 2 (16-11-2011 20-34).png

Snapshot 3 (16-11-2011 20-36).png Scuse wedgie !

Hi, I have very similar hair to your DD long (probably about 2/3 down my back - so not quite as long) and thin and I have worked out that the best way for my to do my hair is a high pony tail with 5 little plats in it and tuck it under with another hair tie so there is a loop. Reinforce with lots of hairspray

And Texasrose, for the buns my friend used to do two braids and then tie them together into one ponytail and then bun it so that it would stay out of the way, could this work for you??

It might work. She doesn't like having a bun because of the back roll on floor, she says it hurts. I just need to start trying different hairstyles- with the 2 braids as our HC wants- at practices and see which one works. Thanks for the idea. :)

My hair is about 3/4 down my back (I have a very long torso as well so it would be SUPER long on someone else) and it is SUPER thick and curly, ringlets curly, it's also all the same length so its very easy to hold braids in etc. I am a hair guru lol I only spend about 5 mins in the morning before school on my hair yet somehow come to school with tons of braids. Even if I just put my hair into a ponytail and stick a flower in it people still LURVE it because it goes all curly (my hair is also strawberry blonde so they love the colour). I like to do plaited buns, or I get 10 little plaits in my ponytail and make the loop, I do french rope braids at the front of my hair having an off centred part, I do french braids or double french braids pulled into a pony or i start off like im doing a double french braid but finish it off about 3-4 inches back from the front hair line so its not long then pull it back etc pretty much anything. :)

Bog, I LOVE the little braids into a bun look! My daughter has very fine hair with a lot of little "wispies" flying around so I might try that at her next little meet in December, though I think I'll have it go into a ponytail and not a bun. We usually do a small spiderweb just to get those little baby hairs out of her hair line on the front of her head and it seems to work well.

All the pics I can find of me in gym are from high school and I usually wore a pony tail. My hair is curly and I'm a natural blonde but I highlight it. When I straighten it it is pretty good at staying in a pony tail. When I was younger my mom hated doing my hair, I just had regular french braids most of the time. I started doing my own hair when I was 9 or 10 and if I wasn't doing what I'm doing with life I soooo would become a hair stylist, I love it! In middle school I did a lot of the criss cross pieces with rubber bands and lots of curls. I did spiral curls for cheerleading a lot in HS too.

gym1.jpg
That's from my HS yearbook and my hair didn't get in my eyes or in the way like that. Just a high ponytail with a little ribbon and a spritz of hairspray and it stayed put.

This isn't a gym pic but it's pretty good at showing my hair. (It was cool in HS to dye the bottom half of your hair dark lol crazy I know) I would put pieces up, either straighten some of it or shape some of the curls then put it up again. Always stayed!

spiritday.jpg

I recently dyed it all brown... it's back to blonde. But yeah teenage gym hair is a whole different world than it is for younger girls. I'm going to see if I can find any pictures of some of the things I used to do with my hair when I was in middle school.

Wow! I'm so impressed with the fancy hair styles!! My daughter has fairly thick, straight hair. After states last season, she cut it just at her shoulders. She could still do a low pony with headband.

However it's now grown a few inches, just in time for meet season, thankfully!

Our gym just doesn't have a hair 'rule' so we just do a ponytail...not too high, not too low!!

What works for me is Got2BGlued! I dampen her hair, then use any type of hair spray, brush it and after the pony is in, I 'glue' it on the top, sides and under the pony, spray around the pony tail holder (before I put the fancy one on!)

Her hair stays perfect through the entire meet!!

I wish I could french braid but her hair seems to thick...for me anyway!!

Great thread! My middle DD has very long, fine hair, and there's some great ideas here. She won't compete until next year, though. Things that work great for her for practice are two french braids, starting with damp hair and using spray gel as I braid, and also the "Princess Leia" look (braided buns).

My older DD had thick, slightly wavy shoulder-length hair last year, and she did two meets, and I put her hair in French ponytails using very small sections of hair with those tiny clear rubber bands. It was really cute, and stayed put nicely for 4 days. Beginning this past summer, she began to fight having her hair styled at all. So she got a pixie cut. It suits her perfectly, and was the best decision ever. I don't have to do anything to it at all now, except maybe a touch of gel or spray to keep the static at bay.

Attachments

• 2011-01-09-08.jpg
    2011-01-09-08.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 56

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back