Parents what makes a phenom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But do remember in some countries kids do not begin competing until they are 8, so the definition only holds true in the US. I think being able to compete so early in the US means the kids are labelled really fast.

Some one once said here that "talent is not what it takes, it is hard work, talent and fearlessness".

^i didn't know that. Actually makes a lot more sense. I don't understand why they all need to compete so early in this country in the first place!

We went to nationals last year. Ran into Jonathan Horton's parents at breakfast. They told us that he wasn't the most talented guy on his team, but he always worked really hard. No matter how good a kid is, it gets hard at some point. It's what happens then that determines where this is gonna go. And succeeding in pushing through the hard bit matters for more than gymnastics.

I think I said that above. The op has a 7 yr old going into optionals next season. I meant that a 7 yr old starting optionals sounds like a phenom to me.

We'll see. Nothing's set in stone.

However.... I wasn't asking if my own kid is a phenom. I know she's not. There are other kids her age, at her own gym, doing doing the same things she can do and some things she can't.:)

DDs gym doesn't train elite, so I don't know who exactly are considered phenoms. There is a very talented young lady who is starting her 1st year of level 10 this year (7th grade). This is AFTER doing 2 years of L9. When she was 'of age' she also invited to the TOPs A camp. She's a hard worker and a very sweet girl. Is she a phenom?

There are also a few 10yo level 8s. I think they're pretty amazing.
What about the just-turned 9yo level 7? <----so much raw talent here.

I was just thinking about these girls and the fact that they were allowed to move up through the levels. At another gym, would they be stuck at L4/L5 trying to nail that compulsory routine? What about the girls (at other gyms) who are hitting 37 AAs and 38AAs in compulsories who would benefit from fast tracking, but the gym wants high scores?
What would happen if my kid actually got more hours in the gym? Would she flourish or burn out?

I know there are a million different scenarios that could be played out. I was just wondering who exactly a phenom is, especially when we all think our own kids have loads of potential. There have been so many references to this 'phenom' but I can't figure out "who" he/she is. ;)

I think they are the 16-18 year old girls still in this sport who are performing super well at Level 10 or elite, and compete in college or the NCAA level. A nine year old who is required to be homeschooled and in the gym 20+ hours a week isn't a phenom to me, she is in a gym that wants to push kids to elite and chooses a few kids with natural talent to push super hard at a really young age. Phenom? Eh, not to me. The phenom is the one who is doing great age 16-18. With that said, I think you can probably spot a couple of really talented naturals in any gym who at age 8/9/10 who have great potential to "go far"... Will they perservere? No way to know..... And will some hard workers/late bloomers surprise everyone? Yes, probably, with the opportunity, great coaching and hard work. Living at the gym in 2nd/3rd/4th grade elementary age doesn't/won't make you a phenom.. You might look like one for a while. What is happening at 16 is the true test...

I was just wondering - they go to Olympics is pretty darned phenom(inal)
Kyla ross and mykayla maroney both in gym together - for anyone who might know were they both considered phenoms?
At the same time?
Did they progress at similar rates or was one ahead younger then other caught up?

Bog- don't know if on purpose or a glitch but you know if you click on a person's avatar and it goes to their profile page? I am on a mobile, clicked on gymbeam - too small to see - for some reason I tried to click on your own - it said 'this user does not exist' like happens if you ban someone..

We'll see. Nothing's set in stone.

However.... I wasn't asking if my own kid is a phenom. I know she's not. There are other kids her age, at her own gym, doing doing the same things she can do and some things she can't.:)

DDs gym doesn't train elite, so I don't know who exactly are considered phenoms. There is a very talented young lady who is starting her 1st year of level 10 this year (7th grade). This is AFTER doing 2 years of L9. When she was 'of age' she also invited to the TOPs A camp. She's a hard worker and a very sweet girl. Is she a phenom?

There are also a few 10yo level 8s. I think they're pretty amazing.
What about the just-turned 9yo level 7? <----so much raw talent here.

I was just thinking about these girls and the fact that they were allowed to move up through the levels. At another gym, would they be stuck at L4/L5 trying to nail that compulsory routine? What about the girls (at other gyms) who are hitting 37 AAs and 38AAs in compulsories who would benefit from fast tracking, but the gym wants high scores?
What would happen if my kid actually got more hours in the gym? Would she flourish or burn out?

I know there are a million different scenarios that could be played out. I was just wondering who exactly a phenom is, especially when we all think our own kids have loads of potential. There have been so many references to this 'phenom' but I can't figure out "who" he/she is. ;)

I was just teasing you. I didn't think you were asking about your own child. You are going to get many different responses because this is such a subjective sport. Sorry, I know they have all that scoring down to a science, but in truth, it is subjective. So, in my opinion, you have answered your own question with "there are a million different scenarios that could be played out." I think it all depends on the gym, the area, the coach, etc. You say your 7 year old isn't a phenom competing (or possibly competing) level 7 next year, but in this area, that would absolutely be considered a "phenom." In our area, a 5 year old competing level 1 (bc we compete that down here), would be considered very talented, but in other areas, people scoff at even competing level 1 (I actually agree with that, but I digress). And then I hear of kids who were mediocre compulsory gymnasts but then excelled as optional level gymnasts. So many variables it makes it so hard to predict how well or how far a child could go in this sport!!

Bog- don't know if on purpose or a glitch but you know if you click on a person's avatar and it goes to their profile page? I am on a mobile, clicked on gymbeam - too small to see - for some reason I tried to click on your own - it said 'this user does not exist' like happens if you ban someone..

On mobile that is normal.

Its got to be everything. The strength & flexibility but the mental strength is key. The kid that gets stuck in and takes every correction & applies it, not the one who rolls their eyes and mutters under their breath as they walk away from the coach.

Its got to be everything. The strength & flexibility but the mental strength is key. The kid that gets stuck in and takes every correction & applies it, not the one who rolls their eyes and mutters under their breath as they walk away from the coach.
Should have said this is based on watching girls training, one who could chuck pretty decent skills but whenever they were corrected they would do the eye roll/mutter. It took the shine away from her skills.

I understand the meaning of the word, but I see it thrown around a lot. However, it's usually to say their kid isn't one.

It seems that different gyms/circumstances also play into it.
So, who would be considered a phenom?

A kid who can chuck high level skills (does them in gym)?

Young aged Optionals? But doesn't score matter?

Kindergartners who can BT? Would those even be taught at your gym?

the answer is biology. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back