Parents what makes a phenom?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Neo (The One)...The Last Airbender...this is phenom type stuff. MENTAL CLARITY.

I've been following this thread and find it very interesting. I am a parent of one of those "7 year olds working towards optionals", mentioned by a previous poster. She was 7 and scored out of old level 6 (after doing 1 season at L4 and one at L5), did a year at the new optional level 6 as an 8 year old and now is a 9 year old level 7. I have never heard her referred to as a phenom and while as parents, we feel she is talented, we would never put that kind of pressure on her, either. Often times I feel most people assume that if a child is young and talented, they need to be pushed ahead as fast as possible. While her coaches see her potential, they have taken her at a steady pace, where she's been capable and successful. It's tough to see some younger girls, pushed so hard when they show potential (possible phenoms), they burn out at such a young age. I agree with others, it's a blend of so many things, including natural talent, drive and mental clarity.

I would add that it is also (in my opinion) about perserverance and being able to keep a relatively healthy body over the long haul (through high school and college)... And being a gymnast with stand-out amazing talent as a young woman, not just as a prepubescent child. The true phenom lasts through puberty and beyond.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back