Parents What would be purpose for this trick?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

Dd (4) and DS (7) are in rec classes. At every class they practice one arm cartwheel using different hands and different legs. What is the purpose of bad leg cartwheel or bad far arm one arm cartwheel?

Yep far arm cartwheels requires the gymnast to sort of "get-over" their body. Almost a hop similar to the dive cartwheel.

Yeah, doing things on the bad leg, bad side, etc. helps with coordination and balance IMO. My daughter tells me that one of the turns in the level 6 beam routine is required to be on her "bad leg"... Also, yeah, doing something one handed is definitely a prep for doing it w/ no hands at all some day :).

Last edited:
Too much of a good thing can lead to un-even muscular development, and working both sides is a good gymnastics mental exercise.

IWC- how normal is it for kids to use both legs, instead of one "good" leg? For example, starting right leg for a RO, but left for a handstand?

How do you know which leg to train them with if they do? Our coach tied a piece of pre-wrap around her ankle, to remind her (and them), which leg she should be using.

Definitely stop it ASAP. My son has been through a lot with this issue. He leads with left on roundoff, right on FHS, and does both for handstands. It has been a nightmare for him..very frustrating.

since the majority of kids in gymnastics do left round offs (right leg kick) and left leg forward front handsprings (right leg kick) i would go with left round off and left foot forward front handsprings. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back