What would you get for coach...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
My DD wants to get her coaches a gift for Christmas, but I am not sure what is appropriate.

I guess we have gotten off easy as prior to moving up this year we had always gone in together with all the girls on a group gift. As the coaches were younger and just starting out we were able to find gift cards where they could get something really nice for themselves.

In the group she is in now they do not do this and she is coached by the two head coaches (husband and wife) who are established in their forty's.

Any suggestions would be really helpful as I don't really know them well enough outside the gym to know what they would like. :confused:

My mom and I make tons of different kinds of Christmas cookies every year and I always give each of my coaches a container of them. Everyone really seems to enjoy them; I always get big hugs when I hand them out and once I heard 2 coaches debating which kind was best! You could also place a small gift card to a restaurant or Starbucks (do they have those in Canada?) in the container as well.

As a coach, I've only received a gift once and certainly don't expect them for Christmas- or any other time of year. Whatever I do receive, whether it be an actual gift, hand drawn card, or picture is greatly appreciate merely for the sentiment rather than the material value. For your DDs coaches, just get them something from the heart that is affordable for your family, don't stress about it too much.
My brother is a swim coach and regularly receives gifts for Christmas- food items (homemade and store bought), gift cards to restaurants and stores (sporting good stores, restaurants, coffee shops), as well as cards and handmade projects. However, he is only 25 so perhaps a bit easier than an already established coach who could very well have more expensive taste.
I think a gift card to a local coffee shop or restaurant close to the gym could be nice. You could even throw in some homemade cookies or treats, 2 nice travel mugs, and a card made by your DD. Ask your DD for suggestions, she probably has gotten a few hints about them and some things they enjoy be it favorite foods, candies, hobbies out of the gym, whatever. Maybe she could come up with something.

I like the wine idea! DD's coaches have always been female, and I know they don't make the big bucks, so I always get them something that would normally be considered indulgent (candles, lotions, scarves, lip gloss...). If DD had male coaches, I think I would give them movie tickets.

I tend to give my coaches things like nice body lotions, candles, and chocolate! Last year for the end of the season I used a photo someone had taken of my coach and I at the end-of-year banquet and, sketched it on good-quality paper and mounted it with a frame. She loved it and couldn't stop showing it to people! She is around 40, my other coach is 24, and gifts like this seem to have been popular.
I might use the wine idea this year though, that sounds like a good one!

gift card to local restaraunt. Our Male coach like Outback steak house so that's what we get. Each Level on the team collects like $5 from each kid and then each level gets usually some type of gift card. Our Female coach likes massages so its a gift card to the local spa.

my daughters coach is a youngish male - in his mid 20's. He's generally a daft lump, but is great with the kids - will be larking about with them one minute, but then it's 'down to work' and they all know where the line is. First year we bought him chocolate and socks - he always seemed to be in odd socks! Last year we bought him a comedy DVD. This year my DD has seen a big daft woolly hat like a giraffe (I know......) which she pounced on. I rolled my eyes but I know that he will love it...

Are your kids in need of a coach for anything? I'm willing to learn new skills and travel ;)

Yeah, 'cause wherever you are you are getting the short end. I try to give all their teachers and coaches something. I didn't last year because we'd just moved and I was overwhelmed with other things.

I like to draw my coaches cards with charcoal or pencil pictures of gymnasts on them. My art isn't shabby so I think it's a nice personal gift, accompanied by some fancy chocolates or gift cards for younger coaches. Sometime I'll do one extra to post on here!

The thing at our gym - is there are so many coaches. One dd has 5 or 6 regular coaches, one dd has 3. Last year I made homemade jam and gave that out. This year I found super cute resuable shopping bags that fold up into the shape of fruit. I will give those to the women. Not sure on the men because I don't think they would think they are cute! We keep it small - unlike some of the other parents who go crazy on high value gift cards. Plus I want it to be about the same for each coach and not play favorites, like some parents. I treat it like teacher gifts I guess. Between my 4 kids they have 11 teachers! It can add up quickly.

I am giving chocolates to Ds's coach. I really like the movie ticket idea and the chipping in of the team, maybe I will organize that for the end of the season.

I don't know if they'll like it as we haven't given them yet, but this year my daughter is giving each of her coaches a framed photo from a meet showing them interactiing with her and thanking them for all their hard work at helping her improve. I had asked the professional photo people to just try and catch her with coaches at a couple meets and they were able to get some great shots of congratulations after an event or a shot of my daughter (shock and disbelief here) intently listening as one spoke.

The pictures are beautiful so I am hoping they'll enjoy this gift... If any coaches think this is lame, kindly don't burst my bubble... lol

I give gift cards to coaches, depending on their likes and situations. The young male coach likes food and talks about his favorite restaurants, the young mother female coach gets a little luxury item like wine, chocolate, a mani or pedi or massage. The older male coach likes restaurants- there seems to be a theme here. guys like to eat?
I usually save the sentimental stuff for team gifts, like end of season gifts from the team are handmade stuff and team photos or scrapbooks or the like.

I always get my one coach a starbucks gift and the other coach a dunkin donouts gift card cause they always come in with coffees or stuff like that. And I usually get 2 movie tickets for my other coach.

Thanks for the great ideas! I haven't really had to deal with this yet. Dd was moved to two different classes and then team several times last fall, and it seemed silly to give a gift to a coach she'd only had for a month. Also, my kids don't go to school, so I haven't had to do teachers' gifts at all! Now she has three regular coaches; one of them is also the owner, has been her coach for over a year, and has been SUPER great and understanding of all our "issues" this year. So I definitely want to do something, I just need to see what the norm is here. I love the ideas though - keep them coming!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back