WAG What's your gym doing with L5 and L6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym had no girls ready to compete New 5. We had 4 Old L6 last season. 3 of them are competing New L6. The other one is competing Xcel Gold. She had had a successful L5 season, but last year in L6, she didn't do so well (26.05 AA) after losing skills she had over the summer :(

I know of another gym that had girls test out of Old 6 last year. They are waiting to decide whether these girls should compete L6 or L7 (must have cast straddle handstand, giant, and a layout to compete L7). What stinks is that they need to be choreographing floor routines and they don't know if they should make them 1:15 or 1:30. All the "fence" girls are having to pay for both lengths just in case.
Their gym will have girls at level 5 and level 6... and probably dominate State like they usually do.

As for L6-L7 mobility after this year.... there is not supposed to ever be one. L6 is supposed to ALWAYS be a skipable level.

New to the whole team thing, but I'm constantly asking more experienced gym parents about these sort of things.... So from that I have understood that our gym generally doesn't compete l6. We did not have a l3 last year. We've only had a l4 team for the past 1-2yrs.
Last years l5 girls are competing new level 5, they had a few girls from that group train with the 7s for a few weeks but it was decided they weren't quite ready. The girls who competed l4 last year are competing new level 4, and a few girls (mine included) are going straight to that group. All the other new recruits pulled from tops or rec are doing l3. They used to only recruit from upper level tops and those girls would go straight into l5.
There will be no girls competing l6, unless perhaps they plan on scoring them out of l5 early this season but if so, the parents have no idea yet (4 and 5 train together so these are "my" group of parents).

No level 6s at our gym, girls who did old 6 are either doing new L5 or jumping to L7...may change next year depending upon rule updates, etc. Also several "successful" L7s (35+ scores) repeating L7 until they have high level L8 routines (our younger girls only...) while seeing what shakes out with the whole L5-L8 transition in the new system.

I was reading the new R & P earlier and found something interesting that relates to this topic... "
Mobility is allowed back and forth from Levels 5 and 6 without going through the petitioning process."

The way I read this, a gym could compete the girls who have made the qualifying score as a L5 as L5 and L6 all season.

Is that how you all read it?

L6 is just another level at ours. Our L5s from last year had the option to test out of L6. All did but some are competing L5 this year and some are competing L6. All of our L6s from last year are competing L6. Most of our last year's prep ops are competing L6 but some are doing L7. However, none of them are going back to compulsories.

Turns out our gym is not doing L6. Girls who competed L6 last year are either going to be new L5s or, if they get their giants, new L7s.

My dd's gym will not be doing level 6. The coaches said it was easier then level 5 they would rather the girls compete 5 then go to L7.

All of our gymnasts competing L5 will only do one meet for mobility. They will then continue to either L6 or L7. Any of our gymnasts that are not ready for L6 or L7 will stay at L4.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back