Parents When does refusal to spot become a safety issue?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Somewhat clueless

Proud Parent
Well, I was hoping to update on dd10 (lvl 7) and flyaway issues that I asked about in the spring. It seemed to be coming back over the summer. But after some comments last week by coach that she "wasn't trying", we are back in the same boat with dd very upset, stressed out about being moved back, and generally feeling bad about herself. Same kid is doing bhs on beam and souk vaults into pit and is a very hard worker in and out of gym but just feels "stuck" with this skill.

So, here's my next question: I watched practice yesterday and she was on the high bar that has a pit underneath with a thick mat over the pit foam. Continually getting on bar, swinging and then very loud noise on release (too early or too late?) and landing on feet sometimes but toward the end shooting quickly down toward mat and face planting. In between doing wall sits for minutes at a time, but no coach actively spotting or anywhere near her. I do not know as much as many of you on this board, but I do remember seeing girls with back and neck injuries from bars. I became very uncomfortable watching this and just not sure if this is normal or safe? Please help! Do I need to question this?

Well, I was hoping to update on dd10 (lvl 7) and flyaway issues that I asked about in the spring. It seemed to be coming back over the summer. But after some comments last week by coach that she "wasn't trying", we are back in the same boat with dd very upset, stressed out about being moved back, and generally feeling bad about herself. Same kid is doing bhs on beam and souk vaults into pit and is a very hard worker in and out of gym but just feels "stuck" with this skill.

So, here's my next question: I watched practice yesterday and she was on the high bar that has a pit underneath with a thick mat over the pit foam. Continually getting on bar, swinging and then very loud noise on release (too early or too late?) and landing on feet sometimes but toward the end shooting quickly down toward mat and face planting. In between doing wall sits for minutes at a time, but no coach actively spotting or anywhere near her. I do not know as much as many of you on this board, but I do remember seeing girls with back and neck injuries from bars. I became very uncomfortable watching this and just not sure if this is normal or safe? Please help! Do I need to question this?

Can you get a few privates with the bar coach specifically for flyaways? If she and the coach have some dedicated one-on-one time with this skill, it might really help.

YES

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back