WAG When is it to hot for gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As the summer heat gears hotter,so do the gyms, I was wondering when you thinks it's to hot for gym, especially one without air conditioning. Generally at my dds gym if it's to hot they will condition and then play games or go out side with water guns and balloons and cool off a little( we have them on hand for summer camp) . It's only been hot enough that the gym actually closed I think 3 times in the last seven years we've been at this gym. What's your opinion.

Last weekend we went to a competition right on the South Coast of France. The gym had no air-conditioning and it must have been well over 40 C inside. We parents were melting just watching, so how the poor gymnasts coped I have no idea. Our ds did floor last of the 6 rotations and he and his team were visibly wilting by that point! Personally I think that was too hot!

we don't really get hot, damp, very damp, but not hot, but this week has been reasonably warm (25 ish) and if it gets too warm, as its an industrial building they just open up a roller door or two

We are in Ohio, but afaik, all the gyms around here are air conditioned. I cannot imagine no ac in middle of summer.

Our gym used to not be air-conditioned. They closed three times a few summers ago when the temps hit mid 90s, but there were many days that were pushing 90, but if they closed every time they wouldn't have had gym for practically the month of August! I am soo relieved that they have air now. I would freeze a bottle of water and send it with her, so she could put her face on it when she got hot.

Our gym is air conditioned. Our dance studio had AC issues and the owner would replace the units so we made some room coolers. Cost about $10 each. YouTube has a tutorial. Search home made AC

If it gets close to 90 in the gym, I keep my child out of practice. I just think that's too hot to be healthy- heat exhaustion is a real issue. Fortunately, that hasn't happen to us more than once or twice in many years.

There are very few gyms here that have central ac. It's too expensive. So, fans and swamp coolers and early morning practice. We have actually rented portable commercial ac units last few years and that makes it tolerable. Outside temps get to 115 and higher in July and August.

We have fans and ac but the ac doesn't always get turned on. There's one gym near house doesn't have ac period I think they have 2-3 small fans but that's it

It's swamp coolers and fans and (some) early-morning practices for us, too. The coolers work really well in the dry part of the summer, (now) but once the rains come and it is humid, coolers in general aren't as efficient. Outside temps are generally lower then, though. I really, really love clouds on practice days!

One of the centres I train at has AC but the vent is REALLY badly placed, so it usually gets turned off. Its right above the doors, and the best tramp which is generally used by squad members (myself included) gets put closest to the doors. When you stand on the tramp you don't notice anything but when you jump above a certain height you get blasted in the face with cold air and it's really distracting! The first time I ever felt it was doing a scary new skill for the first time I must have pushed my feet into the pathway of the vent, I felt air rushing past and thought that another gymnast must have gone flying over the top of me. Afterwards everybody said that I looked like I'd had a mid-air heart attck!

90 degrees? wth.

If the equipment is too hot to use, ok.

Otherwise, hydrate more, eat ice, create a lot of airflow. Be okay with expecting reduced performance. And try to move practices to mornings.

We used to dump bags of ice into the swamp coolers. I let my kids chew on ice. Obviously it melts into cool water but it helps SOOOOOO much. Personally, I just threw two water bottles into the freezer for the ice packs and swapped them while coaching, filling them up whenever we rotated or had a break.

Our gym isn't air conditioned (we are in southern Ohio), but no cancelled practices yet (our group practices in the late afternoon or midday depending on the day). There have been days where it's so humid dd sticks to the beam and bars, but she muddles through. They open up as many doors on the shady side of the building as they can, push lots of water breaks, run big floor fans & ceiling fans, and take lobby breaks (the lobby is air conditioned) with ice pops. DD takes a "cooling towel" (evaporative towel they you soak then snap to make it colder from a sporting goods store), plenty of ice water, and a pair of capri leggings to throw on for bars if it's super muggy (so her legs don't stick when they skim the bar). I can't imagine working out in that heat, but the girls don't seem to mind too much.

My gym is in an old industrial building with no AC, just some fans and opened garage doors. I can't remember my gym ever closing due to heat, even on the 100+ degree days in the summer. Obviously our coaches gave us easier workouts with more breaks to sit in front of the fans, but practice still went on! On the exceptionally hot days, attendance was usually down, and the coaches sometimes brought us fruit popsicles....Those were always the best days :D

But my gym's go-to method was always spraying us with a spray bottle filled with ice water-- worked like a charm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back