Coaches Why won't she straighten her legs!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Even at gym those legs look like this. Usually her back leg is a bit more bent. I'm thinking she needs more box jumps!

Attachments

• averyleap.jpg
    averyleap.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 367
Even at gym those legs look like this. Usually her back leg is a bit more bent. I'm thinking she needs more box jumps!

if she can't straighten her legs to 90, and she's hypomobile, there will be no straightening. it's just how it is.

She probably needs some drills to help her keep her legs straight. Encourage her to practice good form during conditioning.

When my gymnasts don't straighten their back knee I get them to do two drills, hold the wall bars(rack) and get them to do tight backwards kicks keeping their hips square. And the second is holding a small arabesque over a box with tight knees and bounces of the leg as well. This really helped them to be aware of how they have to squeeze in the leaps :)

With out seeing and checking in person, I would guess it's a lack of knee flexibility. It's common and something we work on when needed. I would caution anyone that isn't VERY familiar with how and how much to do it, don't! I have seen too many coaches ruin kids knees trying this. She should be able to sit in a pike on the floor with a flat back and squeeze her quads, and her heals should come off the floor 1 inch. I have had girls come from other gyms where it is 6-8 inches! We call those 'banana legs.' Don't be that coach! ;)

Weak hip flexors or tight hamstrings can inhibit this.

Or you can use my straw and toothpicks drill. Tape a small plastic straw behind their knees on the meat of the calf and hamstring. When they bend, they feel it.

Tell them if they bend the straws, it's toothpick time which will poke their skin when they bend knees. Have a feel nails handy.

I actually saw thus used for boys on pommel single leg swings but decided to use straws instead.

It would be a terrible idea to do the above in the US. In other countries, your mileage may vary. A coach was actually arrested for that in the US, it was several years ago but that was one of the specific practices that they were charged for.

Yep, which is why I use straws. They bend and they end up laughing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back