MAG Age requirement changes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I don't think they have released anything about future stars yet. Hopefully coaches will know more when they get back. I am sure someone asked that, so maybe we will have an answer.

Yes. The new age date will apply for FS. The new routines have been scaled back slightly to compensate for the slightly younger participants. 8 and 9 now have their own routines.

KRC

Thanks, Krc! Any major changes in techs? I know it's too much to ask that the dive roll be banished from floor, lol.

@krc thank you! So will the FS change happen immediately? Meaning for FS 2016?

Also, do you (or any other coaches) yet know if a 9 year old will be permitted to compete L7? Or do you have to be 10?

Wondering because if only 10 and 11 can compete L7, that means a boy aiming for JE 8 at age 11 would only have 1 year of L7...

Thanks in advance!

OK, I'm taking something else from kRC's post. Hopefully it is OK since it falls under the "new rules".... For compulsories they are now going to have kids competing in different groups if they have bonuses or not??? How will this work. For my son, he has always been one to have some bonuses; but not all and sometimes more bonuses on some events than others..

And how will this work for States and regionals???

^this! This year my DS (L4) had all his bonuses on one event, some on a couple of events, and zero bonuses on a couple.

And more in regards to original topic: I'm hopeful that the new changes progress this sport, but it feels unfortunate that my DS will likely remain out of age for some time. This year he competed as a 8yo level 4. Next year (God willing) he'll compete as a 10yo level 5. Coming from some past experience with my DD repeating a couple of early levels so far, and DS's relatively low hours (currently 7, this summer will be 11), I'm not super optimistic he'll make some borderline-magic improvements for next year. :) Don't get me wrong, we believe there's a lot of good in this sport without nationals, but I just hope he doesn't get discouraged!

@Sasha - The FS changes will go into effect right away for the 2016-17 season. 9yo will not be allowed to compete L7. No age bumping anywhere (except 9yo FS may try for 10yo). Because of the age change - an 11yo L8 will be the exceptional young talent. The equivalent of the 10yo FS exception in the past. The vast majority of kids will do 2 yrs of L7 and only 1 yr of L8.

@l.c.o - be patient :) kids will make massive strides as soon as their bodies begin to grow (12-13). Until then just concentrate on good technique, strength and basics. I can tell you for a fact that kids have gone from out-of-age L8's to National team members three years later. Passion and commitment are much more important factors than talent. Step one is to love what you're doing. All good things will flow from that simple decision.

Good Luck,
KRC

@Sasha - 9yo will not be allowed to compete L7. No age bumping anywhere (except 9yo FS may try for 10yo). Because of the age change - an 11yo L8 will be the exceptional young talent. The equivalent of the 10yo FS exception in the past. The vast majority of kids will do 2 yrs of L7 and only 1 yr of L8.

Interesting. So if a 9 year old is aiming for JE 8 (which is only for 11 year olds), he has no choice except to train 7 (to keep on pace for 8 in two years), but to repeat 6.

In our gym, that will mean the (projected) 2-3 most skilled L7s won't be able to compete L7 with their teammates. Coach is gonna flip with that scenario! Oy.

ETA: Thank you for the prompt and specific information!!! Very much appreciated!

Reactions: sce
Interesting. So if a 9 year old is aiming for JE 8 (which is only for 11 year olds), he has no choice except to train 7 (to keep on pace for 8 in two years), but to repeat 6.

In our gym, that will mean the (projected) 2-3 most skilled L7s won't be able to compete L7 with their teammates. Coach is gonna flip with that scenario! Oy.

ETA: Thank you for the prompt and specific information!!! Very much appreciated!

Do they all have summer birthdays? Anyone with a birthday between Sept 1 and May 31 is skipping an age, so under the current rules they would be 8 year olds for the coming season. Either way, I would think they would be in the extreme minority if they are ready for L7. They must be very talented!

And yes, thanks for all of the information!

Do they all have summer birthdays? Anyone with a birthday between Sept 1 and May 31 is skipping an age, so under the current rules they would be 8 year olds for the coming season. Either way, I would think they would be in the extreme minority if they are ready for L7. They must be very talented!

And yes, thanks for all of the information!

Yep! All summer birthdays, turning 9 (so still 8 as of today). Beyond our gym, there are a number in our area, actually, who are turning 9 and were assumably on track to be ready for L7. We are in a relatively 'power' region with many gyms. Guess L6 next year is going to have some high scores!

JE 8 (which is only for 11 year olds)

@Sasha. 11 yo L8 is only for JE. 12yo's can be either JO or JE. Hotshot kids will follow; 10 yo FS/L7, 11 and 12 yo L8 JE. Most kids will be 10-11yo L7, 12 yo L8 JO or JE. Any athlete aiming at JE should really be doing FS at 9,10,11... For comparison, 11- 10yo athletes were allowed to compete at L8 last season. There were only 30 JE 11yo's total at Nationals. The equivalent amount under the new system may be less than 25 or so.

KRC

@Sasha. 11 yo L8 is only for JE. 12yo's can be either JO or JE. Hotshot kids will follow; 10 yo FS/L7, 11 and 12 yo L8 JE. Most kids will be 10-11yo L7, 12 yo L8 JO or JE. Any athlete aiming at JE should really be doing FS at 9,10,11... For comparison, 11- 10yo athletes were allowed to compete at L8 last season. There were only 30 JE 11yo's total at Nationals. The equivalent amount under the new system may be less than 25 or so.

KRC

Thanks for breaking it down, @krc .

So boys turning 9 this summer can still compete 10 y/o FS routines and (theoretically) make national FS testing, but just can't compete L7 yet for another year if I'm understanding right.

Any special requirement to compete L8 JE 11 (like the FS 10 year old test-in exception from this past quad)? Or can any 11 year old who coach deems ready sign up for that division?

And if you don't mind us all grilling you, KRC, are there major changes to technical sequences?

@Sasha,
So boys turning 9 this summer can still compete 10 y/o FS routines and (theoretically) make national FS testing, but just can't compete L7 yet for another year if I'm understanding right.
Yes that is correct - no 9yo's in L7

Any special requirement to compete L8 JE 11 (like the FS 10 year old test-in exception from this past quad)? Or can any 11 year old who coach deems ready sign up for that division?
Currently there are no entry req's for JE 11yo L8. (I expect that to change) They will have to perform TS at State and Regionals, and cannot move on to Nationals w/o making JE Q score.

are there major changes to technical sequences?
No changes for TS - at least for the 2016-7 season.

ZJsmom and other L9/L10 owners and operators, the element group requirement has undergone major changes to align with FIG. I don't know all the details, but dorsal grip is no longer a separate group on high bar and sideways tumbling has been folded into back tumbling on floor.

Anyone with any ideas if the age changes will alter what coaches do with older boys? DS is hoping his hand injury will heal enough (out 3 weeks with tendon tear) to come back and coach wants him to do L9 - he'll be competing as a 17 year old (he's one of the unlucky ones who has a late spring birthday) and we are thinking the competition field will be very small....he's got three more years if he stays with gym (would have to petition to compete his senior year as he'll turn 19 at the end, but honestly I doubt he'll make it that long without completely falling apart), so no reason to move up too fast - but has solid L9/L10 skills in 3 events, sort of in a 4th and, well, the other 2 will just be what they'll be....I think his coach is also trying to keep the older boys inspired with all the things they have pulling them away from gymnastics...

I don't imagine coaches will change their philosophies for older guys much. I did notice, and you might have been at the same session, there were only 2 out of age 9s at states this year. Our coach only uses 9 for guys who are in age. He sees it as so close to 10 that if they can do 9, they should just do 10 to have some competition, and if they're really not ready, they do 8.

We only had 5 out of age level 9s in our state. One was from our team. He could have gone 10 but our old hc wanted to keep him with the other boys as he would have been the only 10. He will be a 10 this year, along with 1-2 other boys that are that age. Not sure how many 9s we will have. D could be the only one :(

Age requirements are a done deal. You will compete the age you WILL BE as of May 31 2017.
I know this may be a totally ignorant non-USA question - but why May 31st? Is this special or just a random chosen date? Hope it isn't brought in in Australia cos my DS is an end of May birthday! (we are currently ageat Jan 1st)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back