WAG Artistry and Grace

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
Does artistry and grace come with age and can it be taught or is it a natural attribute you either have or you dont?

I believe artistry is a skill just as being a good tumbler or flexible is. Some children it just comes naturally but it can be learnt. I did dance from age 5- 10 just an hour class a week and at that age I was an average dancer, but I believe as I have got older my skills learnt at that age have shown. I think it also helps with young ones understanding how to move there body. I think basic dance classes should be taken with gymnastics.

My YD-gymnast has beautiful artistry, no dance classes, it just comes naturally. She LOVES performing and being in front of a crowd. Her "Olympic dream" is to compete for Utah... Not because of the school, but because of the huge crowd.

My OD-figure skater has no artistry, and it unfortunately has never come with age. Bless her heart, it's almost painful to watch her lack of artistry during her rare solo performances.

Observing my girls I've concluded artistry has so much to do with how much a performer enjoys the performance and how much they're willing to "own" it. I've resolved my OD will never feel comfortable enough in front of a crowd to really "own" her program.

As a figure skater she plays to her strengths, she has found a niche skating synchronized skating, which is more forgiving to skaters who lack confidence and artistry. She's a very good and successful team skater.

For a few, it is natural. Most have to learn, and it comes with age and experience.

I think it is a spectrum and I think we all have our strengths and weaknesses and as we grow we learn to work with them.

It has been watching all the girls on my daughters team develop. They have had their own music since they were 6 & 7. Most of them are on their second choices. First time us Moms probably had a bigger say because they were so little and didn't really get it, and themselves. This go round all the girls were much more involved in picking. And they are all doing better routines because they truly picked it and are invested in it. So much better then the compulsory stuff.

And their music choices very much reflect who they are and you can just see them growing into it. And some of the girls are just way more artistically inclined then others.

For my daughter, I know there is some artistry in there. But she is very introverted and really doesn't like to sell herself. Yeah, odd, she can do a BWO on a beam or a powerful tumble run in front of 100s of people but if there is dancing while waiting for awards, not for her. She is not the cute or elegant music type. But she is getting better at selling her strong, dramatic music and she makes her moves count. But definitely a work in progress. She is not going to have the fanciest routine but she is growing. And I was doubtful there for a while.And

A couple of her team mates, you can just tell they were born to sell it. And there are some on the other side that try as they might won't ever get there.

So really it is all or some or none. Age, taught and natural talent.

Artistry for me depends on the choreography - a few of our gymnasts have professionally choreographed routines and you can tell. The choreographer will spend a few hours with the gymnast perfecting each part of the routine so that the gymnast and coach knows exactly what each position should look like. Of course, once the choreographer has gone its up to the coach to continue to insist on the correct performance.

"Grace" - Well that's another thing altogether - I really think some gymnasts are naturally graceful - perhaps you can teach it to a degree. I think a lot (not all) of gymnasts are chosen for team track because they are naturally more graceful than their peers.

What I think can be taught, with a lot of patience and insistence/persistence from the coach is 'performance' - I'm still learning how to do this as a coach - but I've seen it done !!!

I think it comes with age and experience. When my daughter started competing at age 7 she had all of the skills, but they looked so unpolished that I decided that floor just wasn't going to be her thing. Fast forward a year and every year since she is usually at the top for floor. I think she just needed to feel more comfortable with herself.

I think part of it is age, but part of it is natural talent. Last year, my routine looked so flat and boring because I couldn't dance. This year, something clicked. I'm still not the best dancer, but I have definitely improved, and I am able to sell my routine better. I don't think I'll ever be as good at dancing as a natural dancer, but I have improved enough that floor is now my best event, while last year it was one of my worst.

I like this post.....it's a great question and one I've thought about through DD level four season. DD is very athletic but definitely not graceful. There is a girl on DD team that is not a strong tumbler but due to her strong ballet background she's always beautiful to watch. I like the advice from Lily and I think I may sign up DD to a dance class this summer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back