WAG Competing low levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I am talking more about DP not really xcel but if anyone wants to chime in on that go ahead. Do you think it is worth it for gyms to compete low levels like 1 and 2. I can see level 3 being competing because they are getting longer routines, and more building block basic skills like round off backhand spring. Or did they take that out in the new routines? I dont know about those. But i just think at that level and age, the kids wont know how judging works and take it personally, or they see it as who the coaches like better at the podium, or do you think it is good for them to get used to this environment at an early age? I honestly think that at this level, the time is better spent upgrading skills then learning and perfecting routines

My DD's gym does not compete levels 1-3. Kids are on preteam for 1-2 years and they do a couple of in house meets each year.

I also think there's a regional aspect to this too. Very, very few gyms compete levels 1 & 2 here. More compete L3, but most start with L4. Several use Xcel for lower levels too.

I loved L2! Cute and fun and no stress. It was a great introduction to competition for my D. L2 does bring parents to the crazy train though. Many think that their podium achieving L2s are the next olympians. I much prefer talking to the optional parents now that we are there- everyone is humble, understanding of this journey, realistic about potential, and WAY less invested in the daily ups and downs.

Yes, I do believe there is value in competing level 1 and 2, as long as skill and physical development is the priority.

Getting them into fun competition, before they are old enough to truly feel nervous can get them comfortable competing. It can become 2nd nature and when they are older they will feel at home in front of a crowd. A lot of kids struggle to cope with nerves.

I didn’t really have to be placed or even scored. At this age rewarding participation and performing is valuable. Because at this age being them best is not important, learning to have a go and get up there is important.

I have a question on levels, our gym has a rule in place of 2 years on every level no matter how the gymnasts does during the years. Can anyone help me understand this one a little better

I have a question on levels, our gym has a rule in place of 2 years on every level no matter how the gymnasts does during the years. Can anyone help me understand this one a little better
I think it's a terrible rule that makes no sense and will absolutely keep you from getting to the highest levels -

Even if you start at level 3 at 6, that makes you

level 4 age 8
Level 5 age 10
Level 6 age 12
Level 7 age 14
Level 8 age 16
And then level 9 just in time for your senior year, maybe, depending on when your birthday falls.

I sincerely hope you're misunderstanding the policy somehow because blanket rules like that are in no way best for the athletes.

the gym probably wants to score really well. Is the gym know for pretty good scores every other year or so?
They "revamped" the entire gym this past year, I wouldn't say good scores. But I noticed there was a huge loss of upper level gymnasts

I think it's a terrible rule that makes no sense and will absolutely keep you from getting to the highest levels -

level 4 age 8
Level 5 age 10
Level 6 age 12
Level 7 age 14
Level 8 age 16
And then level 9 just in time for your senior year, maybe, depending on when your birthday falls.

I sincerely hope you're misunderstanding the policy somehow because blanket rules like that are in no way best for the athletes.
That's how I counted as well. If this keeps to rule. At what point would searching a new gym be a need. Say my DD was performing rather well?

level 4 age 8
Level 5 age 10
Level 6 age 12
Level 7 age 14
Level 8 age 16

That's how I counted as well. If this keeps to rule. At what point would searching a new gym be a need. Say my DD was performing rather well?
I would pay attention to how they're training. Are they working progressions for new skills? It's a red flag for sure that the upper levels left in droves.

I would pay attention to how they're training. Are they working progressions for new skills? It's a red flag for sure that the upper levels left in droves.
That's the thing, it looks as if the girls are training well above the level they are working towards becoming. Like bronze to silvers are doing huge skills as is silver to Gold. However, your still staying on level if only 1 year completed and competed

Our old gym starts at Level 2. It’s fun.

And I think it’s good for getting in a “groove”.

Things like remembering to present, getting used to a meet environment. Remembering the actual routines. Being with your team and coach, not parents. What to do while waiting to compete. Every one practicing meet hair. Packing your meet bag. All the extraneous stuff. So when the real skills kick in, the little things are already old hat.

Our old gym starts at Level 2. It’s fun.

And I think it’s good for getting in a “groove”.

Things like remembering to present, getting used to a meet environment. Remembering the actual routines. Being with your team and coach, not parents. What to do while waiting to compete. Every one practicing meet hair. Packing your meet bag. All the extraneous stuff. So when the real skills kick in, the little things are already old hat.
My ? Was about mandatory 2 years on each level

That’s not normal and it doesn’t make sense. Kids progress at different rates and each kid should be training and competing at a level that is challenging but not overwhelming for them.
So other than talking to coaches again, guess we look for new gym at end of season...

My ? Was about mandatory 2 years on each level
I didn’t quote you.

I was responding to the OP, who asked if 1 and 2 were worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am talking more about DP not really xcel but if anyone wants to chime in on that go ahead. Do you think it is worth it for gyms to compete low levels like 1 and 2. I can see level 3 being competing because they are getting longer routines, and more building block basic skills like round off backhand spring. Or did they take that out in the new routines? I dont know about those. But i just think at that level and age, the kids wont know how judging works and take it personally, or they see it as who the coaches like better at the podium, or do you think it is good for them to get used to this environment at an early age? I honestly think that at this level, the time is better spent upgrading skills then learning and perfecting routines
So, my DD's gym has been competing Levels 1-2 (along with all the other levels)for years. Those levels are actually very competitive in our state. Our girls even get the same uniform as every other level (although if it were me picking, I'd go with tank Leos). Any way, my oldest started in old Level 4, my middle daughter the same, but my baby started in Level 1. I feel like it was really good for her to get used to the meet atmosphere, to understand expectations, to strive to improve, and to perfect skills at a young age like she did. They go to real meets and have a State meet, too. I'd do it with her again if we could turn back the clock. I 'm attaching her Level 2 floor routine that placed 1st at this meet :). You can see that they worked hard on straight legs and arms and presentation. (And they still had lots of fun so it wasn't serious all the time.)
And you can see that the meet had a lot of Level 2 teams participating. So yes, I think it's worth it. Just my 2 cents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back