WAG feeling bad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
So today we had a new girl who was trying the class who i assumed was simply moved up from the class below. She was clearly very shy and i tried beyond belief to talk to her and try to get some corrections across. About halfway into the lesson she had a mysterious and sudden sore foot so i let her sit out and she proceeded to cry. After talking to her for a bit she seemed incredibly nervous and just intimidated by the new environment after lots of encouragement she still wouldn't join in and her mum had come in to watch. I spoke to the mum and found out that the poor thing had made a huge jump from her old class at another gym. I think part of it was the class length - the refusal to do anything coincided with the time the class she used to be in would have ended. She then told the main coach of the program that apparently the poor little girl didn't want to come back. I felt really bad and still am and i really hope i didn't turn a sweet little girl off gymnastics. She was placed in a class to tricky and i guess i got the result of that. I feel horrible and i guess i just needed to vent a little.

I think you acted correctly and responsibly, being kind to her and letting her not participate (even though you didn't know the full situation at the time). You tried to find out what was wrong and you did a good job - it's not your fault there was some kind of miscommunication about which class was appropriate. I bet that happens a lot when switching gyms. And I bet after a couple weeks she'll want to come back anyway, to an easier class. Some people just get very nervous about new situations - I know I was always nervous the first day of a new class when I was little.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back