Parents First L5 Meet Report ~ The Good, The Bad & The Wha?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, it's finally over and done with...thank goodness! lol!
I'm so glad to have that under our belts.

The anticipation, the drama and the unknown was taking it's toll. But, Pixie handled it all gracefully. Much better than I think I would have done. I'm so proud of that little girl, I'm just bursting at the seams! :D

I know I'm mom, but I think she did fantastic at her first L5 meet.

The good~

Her routines! They were awesome!! I can't believe how much she has grown as a gymnast. It came a bit of surprise since I no longer stay at the gym during practice. I honestly did not expect her to do so well at her first L5 meet. I actually had no expectations. I didn't know what to expect.

Vault ~ She started at vault and I was soOo worried as this is her nemesis and the event that kept her from moving to L5 last season. Well she showed me! She attacked it with much more power than I thought she had in her, ha! 9.2

Bars ~ She developed bad fear issues after she missed one hand jumping to high bar and landing on her neck. She didn't tell anyone about these fear issues and they festered to the point that one of her coaches got really upset and laid into her one day, kept her on the bars after the others moved on and made her do a bunch of conditioning. She came home that night and cried until bed time. Had to call the coach the next day...major drama! She lost all confidence, but not at the meet, lol! 9.3

Beam ~ She had a couple balance checks but I think she looked fabulous!! 9.25

Floor ~ I was especially worried, for our girls, on floor. Pixie's gym is undergoing renovations and they haven't been there since summer ended. Wont get to go back until maybe February. ugh. So our gym has been practicing at a basketball court and THEY ONLY GET TO USE HALF THE COURT! So they have all the equipment packed into one half of a basketball court. They don't even have a floor to practice their routines on. The use 1/3 of a regulation floor and then they half that so that girls do their tumbling passes in two lines. Pixie never even did a whole L5 floor routine until the meet!! I thought our girls did well considering! 8.9

The bad~

Pixie's rubberband, in her hair, broke during warm-ups and I didn't have any extras!! (bad unprepared gym mom bad, bad!) We had to use a flimsy one that was her coaches, rig her hair with clips and pins and held our breath and crossed our fingers, haha!! Lesson learned. guarantee that wont happen again ;)

The wha?~

Well, I'm sure you can guess. Probably better to leave it at that, lol!

Here's the video if you're interested:

YouTube - Pixie's *First Ever* Level 5 Gymnastics Meet Montage ~beam FLOOR bars VAULT~

Hope everyone is having a great season so far!
Now I just need to catch up and check out all the videos :)

Last edited:
Wow, amazing job! I am in awe!!! My daughter has her first L5 meet this weekend, and we can only dream about scores like those!:p She really is looking exceptionally great with all of her skills this early in the season! Good for her!:) Her movements on floor are so precise, and her casts on the bars are GREAT!!

Sorry to hear about the hair mishap. I will definitely be throwing some extra hair ties in the bag this weekend...

The bad~

Pixie's rubberband, in her hair, broke during warm-ups and I didn't have any extras!! (bad unprepared gym mom bad, bad!) We had to use a flimsy one that was her coaches, rig her hair with clips and pins and held our breath and crossed our fingers, haha!! Lesson learned. guarantee that wont happen again ;)

I bet many will learn a lesson from your story and throw some extras in the gym bag asap, lol. Glad that it held together for her :)

Congrats to Pixie on a fabulous 1st meet. I can't wait to see the rest of her season. Way to go Pixie!

LOVE the leo too!!!!!

she did so well especially knowing about her training venue now! It just shows alot can be acheived with less. Have a great season! She looks lovely.

Wow what an awesome first meet! She is going to really shine this season!! And her comp leo is just beautiful!! Congrats!!

What an awesome first Level 5 meet she had! Congrats to Pixie on overcoming so much to really shine at Level 5. She is going to have a superb season!

Wow! What a way to start off the season and new level! Her form is really gorgeous for L5----she will be standing out at her meets.

She looked beautiful she has amazing form. I also really liked her leo. I always keep extra hair supplies in daughters gym bag I think every meet I end up buying more.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I work 24 hr (sometimes 48 hr) shifts and I can't always get enough time to properly go through all the posts while at work. So, I just waited until I was home.

Thank you all for the really sweet replies. Pixie is still on cloud 9 and she gets to do it all again this weekend. I can assure you I'll have a whole pack of rubberbands, bobby pins and clips to take along with me this time.

I experienced complete terror when Pixie was sent to me after the rubberband broke and I realized I don't have anymore! Luckily her coach saved the day!

Pixie is such a doll! She has such beautiful form all around. C really took note of her routines and said, "She is reallly good!":):)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back