Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So the queen was so cross about wiggo not adhering to protocol that she knighted him?

Maybe she'll make him an earl for sticking his tongue out this time.

It may be protocol, but the general population don't shame anyone, especially not a 20 year old girl for not doing so. Most of us see protocol and etiquette as a relic of stuffy old times that we can laugh about now.

To the tower with her!

So the queen was so cross about wiggo not adhering to protocol that she knighted him?

Maybe she'll make him an earl for sticking his tongue out this time.

It may be protocol, but the general population don't shame anyone, especially not a 20 year old girl for not doing so. Most of us see protocol and etiquette as a relic of stuffy old times that we can laugh about now.

To the tower with her!

Great Britain sounds like so much more fun than America. I want a queen, and stuffy old tradition to laugh at!

well, you are just wrong. In France it is a criminal offense under Article 113 of their penal code to "outrage" the flag OR the anthem and if committed by a crowd can result in 6 months in prison. In Germany defamation of the national anthem is a crime. British protocol requires that you stand at attention during God Save the Queen. I could go on and on. Frankly, these are customs and in some cases laws that the average person just does not know. But they are not only common, virtually every country has them. If you have any friends that are diplomats just ask them.

None of the above implies that I was, as I believe you meant to say, mistaken.

We do NOT revere the flag, it is a particularly American trait as I said, in fact we embrace irreverence in many cases, its a cultural difference. Hence our bemusement at all this kerfuffle.

Some people are missing the point here. There is a difference. Between the average
Joe or Jane and someone who gets invited to a State Dinner or finds themselves standing on a podium representing their country at the Olympics. The operative words are "representing your country." That's my final comment on this topic. I thought it was a fairly simple concept.

Some people are missing the point here. There is a difference. Between the average
Joe or Jane and someone who gets invited to a State Dinner or finds themselves standing on a podium representing their country at the Olympics. The operative words are "representing your country." That's my final comment on this topic. I thought it was a fairly simple concept.
I'm guessing you were not a fan of John Carlos and Tommie Smith.

oooh do you not have that one over there either, you are missing some lovely words !
We are missing a boatload of awesome words. I think I'll go in Amazon and find a book of fantastic British/English words (not sure if that's a thing, but Amazon has everything), and learn them all....time to start a trend here in the states :)

Well, she did apologize for offending and short of giving up a pound of flesh or giving up her team medal, not sure what else she could do to make up for it. If USAG had issues with it, I would guess that they have already discussed it with her. I do think that the offense did not warrant a lot of the truly nasty comments I saw on Twitter afterwards. Some were downright crude. Just do not get the vitriol at all. And again, I am speaking as one who had doubts about her placement on the team. I have also never been a fan of her mom either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back