Coaches grouping my students (where to put the new 6s)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
We are at a small gym so I have groups as follows: the 1s and 2s(old 2s and 3s), 3s and 4s(old 4s and 5s) test out of 5 (OLD 6) when ready, then optionals(when they have giants) The groups don't mix except on sat morning when we all stretch and run. I am thinking of having a new level 5 group to ease the transition of the level changes but I wonder if I should put the new 6s with them because of skill or I should have them workout with the optionals because they are optionals. If your gym is competing 6 who do they practice with?

Yep, something like L1/2, L3/4, L5 and then L6 or 6/7s last quad.

Now I'd imagine it would be somewhat similar except L1/2s, L3s, L4s, L5 and then 6/7s possibly bundling L4 and 5 if you didn't have a lot of numbers. Most gyms would have a lot of old L4/new L3s. Small armies. Some gyms might not have enough kids in Old 5 and Old 6 to warrant seperate groups for each.

Our gym groups kids as this,

Old 1 & 2 - New 1
Old 3 & 4 - New 2&3
Old 5 & 6 - New 4&5
Optionals - New 6+

We like it this way, because the first group (new lv 1) is used just with all our beginners, and basics. Group 2 (lv 2&3) are our preteam, and they continue on with basics and start dance and early optionals work (our old level 4s compete optionals here). Group 3 have very similar routines and that's where a lot of our drill work for giants and beam BHS and layouts and yurchenkos, ect is all done with all the compulsory stuff, then optional group takes off from there.

I have one new 6 and she is going to be with our 7s and 8s.

Just depends on what you want to do. We will still be looking at L7 as our first highly committed level. Our L7's are guaranteed our optional coaching staff...our L6's will be with our optional coaching staff sometimes.

I think we are skipping 6 all together, that is the general consensus of the entire coaching staff, but I have not made an official decision on it yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back