Parents Guest Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

claudidoll

Proud Parent
My little gymmie is a touch nervous about new people, there are two guest coaches coming next week and I am a bit worried about how she'll react to being coached by "Strangers"
Anyone have any tips?

If these coaches are "visit worthy" they should be able to properly respond when they see she's nervous. So that's one vote for leaving it alone.

If you choose to counsel her before the fact you just may get her tuned into the notion this could be a bad experience. So that's two votes for leaving it alone.

My definition of leaving it alone allows you to take any reasonable measures "behind the scenes" to help things go well, like a brief note to the coach that is made clear to be FYI and not a request to go to extremes to keep an eye on her.... but they probably will anyway.

You could also volunteer for any hospitality activities taking place to make the visitors feel welcome or able to concentrate on the kids.

Give her her favorite leo to wear on their first day. Every little bit of confidence help.

If these coaches are "visit worthy" they should be able to properly respond when they see she's nervous. So that's one vote for leaving it alone.

If you choose to counsel her before the fact you just may get her tuned into the notion this could be a bad experience. So that's two votes for leaving it alone.

They are definitely visit worthy :) and I lean towards the leaving it alone camp. When we go places to do activities my kids know they are to participate in the activity, I have little patients for whining. So I am very happy to leave it alone. I just worry sometimes that I'm being mean.

(One of the coaches is a Canadian National team coach and the other is a well known American.)

I doubt that anyone's going to refer to you as "Mommy Dearest" for giving her the chance to learn a bit about who she is and what she's capable of. Just be there to pick up the important pieces if she falls apart..... Uhmm, be there in the metaphorical sense.

Were either of these coaches gymnasts in the past? My daughter loves to watch old routines on YouTube of guest coaches who have come to our gym (former National team members, college gymnasts and Olympians). Maybe that would get her excited?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back