How does your gym handle tuition/commitment for team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Azgymmiemom

Proud Parent
We had a family on my ds's team that wanted their L4 son to take a month off...not going anywhere, not in any other activities, just wanting to take the month off for summer. In fact, his two brothers are still taking classes at the gym, just not on team. I think they were just trying to not pay the tuition. (and my thinking is, if there was a hardship, they should have come clean with the owner, bc I know that something would have been worked out-that's just the was our owners are). The mom got really angry when the owner told her that his tuition for June was still required-whether he showed up or not, since he's not sick or injured just "doesn't want to come". I mean, she was really angry and said it was ridiculous, and then she just pulled him off team and said he was done(if he quits, he doesn't have to pay) but then she said he may be back in a few months...
I know this is the second gym they've been at in two years.

What do you think? How does your gym handle this? Owners/coaches-what would you do? I knew from the beginning (In fact, we signed papers stating we were aware of) that this was a team commitment, and my kids were encouraged NOT to miss practices, but if they did then tuition was still expected to be paid and there were no make up classes...I figured all gyms were llike this...am I wrong?

I know one kid was very ill and had surgery(not gym related) and out for a few months, and the gym didn't charge them for missing practices...but that was a different circumstance entirely.

any thoughts??

In the past at dd's gym, you could take a month off in the summer-June or July, and not pay tuition. That policy changed just a couple of years ago. Last year, my dd wanted a break and quit for almost 6 months. When she wanted to return, I first called the owner and talked to him, but then made dd go in person and talk to him. She had taken a tumbling class while not on the team. The owner did talk to her about commitment and attendance and welcomed her back to the level 4 team.

I don't get involved in other parents issues with the gym. I do what is right with my kid and don't worry about other peoples drama

Our tuition is described as an annual fee to be on team that is divided into 12 monthly payments - like a school tuition. So its due no matter what.

Our tuition is described as an annual fee to be on team that is divided into 12 monthly payments - like a school tuition. So its due no matter what.

Our gym is similiar to this, the team training sessions are held for 50 weeks per year, we are charged for 48 weeks per year, divided into 12 monthly payments. There is no training for any gymnast for a two week period in summer, this is the rest break and the gym shuts for maintenance. It is considered acceptable for the gymnasts to have an additional two week "holiday" at a time that suits your family (but obviously the coaches would prefer this to not be in peak comp season). So training is offered to the team for 50 weeks per year and the gymnast is expected to be there for 48 weeks. If you choose to do 50 weeks, there is no additional cost... but there is also no fee reduction if you choose to only turn up for 46 weeks!

It is expected that with minor injuries the gymnast will continue to train on a modified program that is worked out with the coaches/gymnast/parent. Fees are only temporarily suspended if the gymnast is so ill/injured that they could not attend gym at all for one month or longer.

I guess ours is really laid back. Lots of our team kids take the summer off or at least 2 weeks to a month and their spots are held and they don't pay. It actually causes issues because so many do it that not enough revenue is made. Of course this is only if you make this arrangement not if you suddenly decide to quit mid month then you would not get a refund although if you get injured to the point you can't return you do.

We pay monthly for classes so taking off in the summer isn't a big deal. We aren't required to pay for a month we aren't there but if you take a vacation and are gone for part of the month, you don't get a discount. Our competition costs are added up and divided into three payments. Once you've paid all your meet fees, if you decide to quit, you don't get uncompeted meet fees back.

I don't get involved in other parents issues with the gym. I do what is right with my kid and don't worry about other peoples drama

I hear you, but I AM involved because I work at the gym at the front desk. ALL scheduling and tuition comes thru me. This lady wouldn't take my suggestion to talk ro the owner and trying to work something out...so I was kinda the "monkey in the middle" I had to enforce our gym's policy, of course...I guess I was just questioning how common it was, that' s all. I like the idea of a yearly program like a school and just divide up the payments...that's very straightforward.

Thanks, guys!!!

can't come back. everyone wants good clean gyms. everyone wants excellent coaches. everyone wants a gym for their kids that they can call home. everyone wants a gym that's well maintained. everyone wants the gym warm in the winter. everyone wants the gym cool in the summer if that climate calls for AC. everyone wants chalk for their kids to use. everyone wants "$happy$" coaches to work with their kids.

yet everyone wants ALL that when they come back...because club owners are rich! because when 50 people drop out for the summer they think that the owner goes to the landlord/bank and says "hey, i'm really sorry i can't pay you for a couple of months cause my people are not paying me cause they went on vacation. so, i'll get payment to you when they all come back...okay?"

club owners are like any other business. they pay bills 12 months out of the year. yet certain people only want to pay 7-9 months of the year. and then they think they deserve/are entitled to all the perks that the 12 month paying customers receives. this is why they have park programs. and you get what you pay for.

most parents get this concept. many don't. and this is why club owners experience financial hardship thru their entire careers. most gyms just don't ever make enough money to prepare for a rainy day let alone a summer draught.

most recent survey...2 gyms in the USA gross a million dollars (and they don't have competitive gymnasts to speak of and the few that they have wouldn't make any other team in the USA). less than 2% gross $500,000. everyone else is less than that. and if i recall correctly, 64 percent returned the survey.

bottom line...if your in your in. if your out your out and remember that we are employers that are responsible for others lives and their ability to feed & clothe their families and pay for school supplies in september just like everyone else that has families including ourselves. so don't let that door hit you...on your way out...or when you attempt to return.

p.s. this is what the club owners REALLY want to say to those parents. show this to your owner and see if you don't see a little smile cracking their face.:)

Our team classes end in May and resume in September. So everyone has the summer off. If they want to do gym they can do the summer camp for 8 weeks, but that is very pricey, so most kids just do other sports.

In your situation I would make it clear that team is a year round commitment and that he would always be welcomed back to rec classes, but clearly team is not for their family. Gym's need the money too.

As others have said, at our gym if you want your place kept you pay for it. Whether you turn up or not is up to you. If you decide to leave our squad, then want to return, well that's ok, but you have to earn your place and perhaps even trial for it. If there is no room you have to wait. We have a high demand for our squad so if one person leaves, their place is generally filled the next week.
We also require 1 months notice if a gymnast is leaving.

We pay during the summer regardless of whether my DD comes or not. This is for team only. Rec classes don't obviously. I've just always thought of it as the team has practice whether my DD is there or not. She is part of the team and that's an honor that we are very proud of. I have no problem paying and I'm happy to do so.

Then again I'm one of those parents who understands completely that the gym is not making any money off the team kids. I feel lucky that my DD is part of a gym that has a great rec and cheer program and again we are proud to be a part of this gym.

I hear you, but I AM involved because I work at the gym at the front desk. ALL scheduling and tuition comes thru me. This lady wouldn't take my suggestion to talk ro the owner and trying to work something out...so I was kinda the "monkey in the middle" I had to enforce our gym's policy, of course...I guess I was just questioning how common it was, that' s all. I like the idea of a yearly program like a school and just divide up the payments...that's very straightforward.

Thanks, guys!!!

My reply then would be to tell her the polilcy of the gym and tell her you don't have the athority to change it. She will have to talk to the owner to make changes,

That's that and if she continues to "argue" very nicely just say Your talking to the wrong person Sorry I can't help you. Then go back to work and let her rant and rave.

We pay during the summer regardless of whether my DD comes or not. This is for team only. Rec classes don't obviously. I've just always thought of it as the team has practice whether my DD is there or not. She is part of the team and that's an honor that we are very proud of. I have no problem paying and I'm happy to do so.

I'm just getting back to this thread and re-read my posts. I should have differentiated between rec and team like you did. I meant a lot of rec kids quit during summer months. No team members do that.

In the summer, we pay weekly so there's no drama about payments if a vacation is taken, etc. In regular season, we pay monthly. You don't get money back after you pay it unless you cannot return to the gym for a month+ because of a injury or illness.

I've never thought about asking for a tuition break if my DD is out for a few weeks in the summer. When we make the commitment at the beginning of the season, it is written in black and white that this is a yearly commitment and the tuition is XX dollars each month.

I echo what Dunno said!

At my dd's gym this mostly happens with entry level team parents because they are used to the rec. rules. They don't understand the different level of expertise and equipment needed for team gymnasts. After a few years on team, it's less an issue.

It is just like a private academic school. It requires a year's commitment and tuition is due at the beginning of the year. Some offer monthly payment plan but the contract is for the whole year. If your child is ill and cannot go to school for a month, you would never think it was ok to not pay your school tuition - why? because your spot would be take by someone on the waitlist... Why would it be any different for a competitive gym?

If I were a gym owner, I would have a hard time welcoming back a family like the one described by OP. At the very least, the gymnast should go through another tryout after the time away and the family would have to acknowledge their error and restate their commitment. If it happens again, out for good.

Of course, as the OP stated, the best way to handle this is to talk with the owner. I know ours have worked with parents who are having hard times and for gymnasts who are out a long time due to injury (3+mths).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back