Parents How fast should a gymnast move up levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymDadTexas

Proud Parent
Hello,

My daughter competed level 3 last year, She will compete level 4 this year 2018. Her coach told me that if she does well as a level 4 she will start to compete as level 7 in 2019. Is this to fast? She has said that she either wants to be an elite gymnast or college gymnast, her coach says this is the path he sees to get her there. I am wondering is this normal? The other girls also did this. Competed one year as 4, then scored out on 5 and 6. The next season they are 7's. I am new to gymnastics and have been looking at progression and this just seems pretty fast. I was wondering what others thought, or experienced.

Hello,

My daughter competed level 3 last year, She will compete level 4 this year 2018. Her coach told me that if she does well as a level 4 she will start to compete as level 7 in 2019. Is this to fast? She has said that she either wants to be an elite gymnast or college gymnast, her coach says this is the path he sees to get her there. I am wondering is this normal? The other girls also did this. Competed one year as 4, then scored out on 5 and 6. The next season they are 7's. I am new to gymnastics and have been looking at progression and this just seems pretty fast. I was wondering what others thought, or experienced.

How old is your daughter?

It is common for gyms to skip level 5 or 6, but it is not common to skip both. In Texas, many girls will compete level 5 in the fall and then compete level 7 in January. Maybe the coach is talking about her competing level 7 beginning in December of 2019? That would be a normal progression.

It depends on many things. Your daughter, the coaching, and all the things that come with gymnastics. Age, maturity, growth, puberty and on and on.
And its possible, its 12-18 months away.

Take a deep breath. They have a plan. A plan is good. And it will happen when it happens

How old is your daughter?

It is common for gyms to skip level 5 or 6, but it is not common to skip both. In Texas, many girls will compete level 5 in the fall and then compete level 7 in January. Maybe the coach is talking about her competing level 7 beginning in December of 2019? That would be a normal progression.

She just turned 9, last week. They have competition starting around august, september. I just figured he meant a year from now. I am pretty sure he didn't mean this December/January. He did say maybe go to competition in February too. So I am thinking he means Do 4 and 5 this year 2018/2019 then this time next year, August/September she would possibly be a 7.

I am pretty sure this is what he meant. This is what the others girls did. Just wondering if its normal.

At our gym, girls either go 4-6 or 4-7 depending on their progress. The advanced girls who do Fast Track or TOPS are more likely to do the 4-7 route. I would just relax and trust the process, it sounds like they have a good plan for her.

At our gym, girls either go 4-6 or 4-7 depending on their progress. The advanced girls who do Fast Track or TOPS are more likely to do the 4-7 route. I would just relax and trust the process, it sounds like they have a good plan for her.

OK, I am extremely excited for her and she is too. I of course worry more than she does. She says she is going to do it, and will work as hard as she has to make it. I have been reading a lot of these post and am glad I finally joined. I really don't have anyone to ask advice from that has experience or knowledge about how gymnastics works.

She just turned 9, last week. They have competition starting around august, september. I just figured he meant a year from now. I am pretty sure he didn't mean this December/January. He did say maybe go to competition in February too. So I am thinking he means Do 4 and 5 this year 2018/2019 then this time next year, August/September she would possibly be a 7.

I am pretty sure this is what he meant. This is what the others girls did. Just wondering if its normal.
This makes sense. Optional season is in the the winter, so she would be competing level 7 starting December 2019/January 2020 which is a normal progression.

This is how our gym does it. Girls finish up with 4 in December, then 13 months later compete 7. They score out of 5 sometime in between there.

Level 4 to 7 is very difficult. 4 is pretty easy; 7 a different ball game. I honestly think skipping both 5 and 6 is a mistake and doesn’t happen often. Now, I’ve seen it happen, a girl at our gym did it because she was an amazing bar worker but it’s in the minority. Why rush it?

One of our competitor gyms skips girls all the time. They also have a very high injury rate, scary injuries, from pushing the girls before they are ready. Also burn out.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. And monitor for signs of injury and burn out.

Level 4 to 7 is very difficult. 4 is pretty easy; 7 a different ball game. I honestly think skipping both 5 and 6 is a mistake and doesn’t happen often. Now, I’ve seen it happen, a girl at our gym did it because she was an amazing bar worker but it’s in the minority. Why rush it?

One of our competitor gyms skips girls all the time. They also have a very high injury rate, scary injuries, from pushing the girls before they are ready. Also burn out.

I agree, I never thought about her moving from 4 to 7. I figured do 4, then 5 and then 7. Her coach said it all depends on how well she does this year. He does have her practicing with the 7's and made the comment that she keeps up fine (except for bars) Now she cannot do alot of the things the 7's can but she tries to keep up and he has her do what she is able. I think I will just watch and see what plays out as you have suggested.

Agree. I lived through it with a 9 year old. Level 2,4, and then 7. Could physically do the stuff well, but they have to be MENTALLY and EMOTIONALLY ready. Rushing through a bunch of levels is mentally very hard even for talented kids. Of course there is a small percentage who can handle it, but factoring in the maturity level is so important.

I think what they are doing sounds pretty normal. I am guessing since level 6 is skippable that she will do 4 this season/ then 5/ skip level 6 and 7 in the late 2019 or ( we don't start optional comp season here until January ) 2020. My daughter which is now 10 did 4, mandated 5, skipped 6 trained for season 7. She is now training to compete 9 for the upcoming season in Jan 2019. She is on the "elite/hopes" track. We will see how it all turns out! LOL

My daughter competed level 4 and 5 (each for a full year), skipped level 6 and competed a very short level 7 season (she did a full season of level 5, went to state, then immediately began training for level 7, did 3 meets as a level 7, including state). She then did a full season of level 8, scored out of level 9 and just finished her first season as a level 10. All of this over the course of 4 years. So yes, it can be done, but the jump from level 4 to level 7 is HUGE.

Based on my limited experience, I think the difficulty of the 4-7 jump has a lot to do with the amount of uptraining that is done (or not) at the gym. If we had been at a gym where they weren’t constantly working ahead, there is no way I would have been comfortable making the jump.

All this scoring out of 5, I get it, I really do, but I also think rushing through 5 is not a great idea. The JO National Gym of the Year competes a whole season of 5. I heard the head coach speak, and she said that Level 5 is very important for mastering key skills. I know how tough 5 is, and how hard it's scored, but I also have observed first hand both scoring out and competing the whole season.

When the whole level was scoring out, many of them were getting the minimum score, and then going optional. They weren't ready, really, except for a small percentage. There was a lot of mental issues, injuries, and fear, and subsequently quitting. Now they compete a whole season, and they are more prepared for optionals and more mentally ready. There are always exceptions both ways.

I just feel that if the JO Program of the Year--with proven track record and amazing gymnasts consistently year after year at EVERY level--feels that 5 is important, then maybe there's something to be learned from that. To be the most unpopular person here, I'd even say I'd like to see them require 2 meets at 5 with a 32.00 score before moving on.

I know some can handle the big jumps in levels just fine, but they are the minority. To get back to the original question, just watch carefully for signs of fear, fatigue, or injury. As long as she can safely perform the skills on all events, she should be ok.

All this scoring out of 5, I get it, I really do, but I also think rushing through 5 is not a great idea. The JO National Gym of the Year competes a whole season of 5. I heard the head coach speak, and she said that Level 5 is very important for mastering key skills. I know how tough 5 is, and how hard it's scored, but I also have observed first hand both scoring out and competing the whole season.

When the whole level was scoring out, many of them were getting the minimum score, and then going optional. They weren't ready, really, except for a small percentage. There was a lot of mental issues, injuries, and fear, and subsequently quitting. Now they compete a whole season, and they are more prepared for optionals and more mentally ready. There are always exceptions both ways.

I just feel that if the JO Program of the Year--with proven track record and amazing gymnasts consistently year after year at EVERY level--feels that 5 is important, then maybe there's something to be learned from that. To be the most unpopular person here, I'd even say I'd like to see them require 2 meets at 5 with a 32.00 score before moving on.

I know some can handle the big jumps in levels just fine, but they are the minority. To get back to the original question, just watch carefully for signs of fear, fatigue, or injury. As long as she can safely perform the skills on all events, she should be ok.
The other thing to consider is the area you are in. Many gyms in our area have stopped competing 5 so actually have much competition at 5 for semi-local meets is almost non-existent. Our gym switched to 6 just for increased competition but the gym also won't move a girl up to 6 unless they are capable and does not allow them to compete lesser skills than what 5 demands (also only allow them to do bhs on beam). Those that can't do it, repeat 4. With that said, my DD did Level 5 for an entire season and I found it to be a great skill building year for her. But, things have changed in the past few years that have made our gym approach the seasons differently.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back