MAG How many is too many?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
I know I ask a lot of questions about what is normal at other gyms (ok maybe whine about ours a lot, is a better way to put it) but I need a reality check. DS is an 8 year old level 5. We have a revolving door of coaches and to say that they are short staffed would be an understatement. I am interested to know how many kids to one coach is too many??

Today for a holiday combined practice, there were 27 kids level 5-10 to ONE coach. On an ongoing basis, we have one day a week when the level 5 are alone and there are 9 of them. The other 2 days a week, the number ranges from 15-22. I am concerned about the amount of standing around that is happening and the safety issues for all the kids.

My other question is about minimum numbers of adults in the building. This AM our coach was the only one. Our level 10's are pretty mature and I'm sure they would be able to help in an emergency, but it seems that good operating procedure should have at least 2 adults in the building, is that too much to ask?

So, we have been in a situtation like that ones, and it was tough. 1 coach to 20-25 boys is too much. Add to it the different levels and it is not ok. I woudl not be ok with practices like that.

We have had occassion with 10+ boys at a practice with 1 coach lately, but typically is is 8 boys and 1-2 coaches, depending on the night. We have a couple that we have to share with the girls, which is infuriating.

If it was once in a while and not the norm, I can see it happening. But if this is a norm,then parents need to speak up and say something. It isn't safe.

We do have a rule of 2 adults in the gym, or at least present. Now, if a coach is doing a private, sometimes that doesn't happen, and the parent stays

We are on the other extreme as a new team. Usually it's four boys to one coach. One practice is shared with preteam and that is 8 boys to one coach. The team boys hate that practice! The ratio will go up when the preteamers move up in a few months, but the coach is also looking for an assistant, so I'm not sure how it will settle out.

Today, between the holiday and the snow, DS was the only one who showed up. The gym closed early but he got a 90-min private.

I agree which what skschlag said. Once in a while, to cover a sick coach or a coach at a travel meet, okay. During floor conditioning, sure. But, to have a ratio like that regularly when they are working on skills or need spotting, not okay.

And yes, two adults in the building at all times. For emergencies and also to protect against potential for (or allegations of) abuse.

That sounds like way too many boys for one coach, though I guess that partly depends on the age range. We were in a similar situation last summer. Our assistant coach left, and it took all summer to find a new one. We have 18 boys on team, with an average age of about 8. It was way too many little kids for one coach. My son went from being in a group of 5 L4 boys to a huge group of various levels. It would have helped if the coach had set up more side stations, but he didn't, and there was a LOT of waiting in line. And of course, that's when the boys start messing around. We did get a new assistant coach at the end of the summer, but the behavior issues persisted for a long time. Honestly, if there were any other programs within driving distance, we would have considered switching gyms. Things are much better now, though. I don't have any advice, but I do think you're right to be worried about that situation.

That's too many. For compulsories 12 to 1. Maybe in a pinch a few more, but definitely not 27.

There is no perfect number. The right number of gymnasts to a coach will vary greatly due to many circumstances like the experience and ability of the coach, the space available, the amount of equipment, the age of the kids, the levels, what they are working towards, just so many things.

27 level 5-10 boys to one coach? Well I really feel for that coach! I would define lay say it would be unsafe and unproductive and there would be a lot of risk of the boys not progressing or developing bad habits because there would not be much one on one attention.

I also disagree with the idea of just one adult in the building, we never allow that!

I know I ask a lot of questions about what is normal at other gyms (ok maybe whine about ours a lot, is a better way to put it) but I need a reality check. DS is an 8 year old level 5. We have a revolving door of coaches and to say that they are short staffed would be an understatement. I am interested to know how many kids to one coach is too many??

Today for a holiday combined practice, there were 27 kids level 5-10 to ONE coach. On an ongoing basis, we have one day a week when the level 5 are alone and there are 9 of them. The other 2 days a week, the number ranges from 15-22. I am concerned about the amount of standing around that is happening and the safety issues for all the kids.

My other question is about minimum numbers of adults in the building. This AM our coach was the only one. Our level 10's are pretty mature and I'm sure they would be able to help in an emergency, but it seems that good operating procedure should have at least 2 adults in the building, is that too much to ask?

woefully insufficient...

Reactions: sce
Def not enough coaches especially if that 1 coach has to supervise the entire gym. At my son's gym they currently have only 1 coach for the boys. There are 19 boys on my DS's team. There are 14 L4's 3 L5's and 2 L6's. We totally need more boys coaches, as he is spread pretty thin and I think some of the boys don't get all the help they need because of it.

I think our gym has a rule that no coach can be responsible for more than 10 kids, regardless of whether it's team or rec. They usually try to have workout groups from 6-9 athletes on both sides. More is too many, and fewer is not enough, especially (as DD would point out vigorously) on those days when a few people are missing from the group and everyone else has too many turns on vault!

Is your gym hoping to add a coach, AlexGymmyMom? That's a heavy lift for one coach, even if he's coaching them at different times. I think we are at around 22-24, and we have one program director/head coach, but he has substantial help from four or five other coaches, including two who do upper level optional coaching on the girls' side. Even so, I think the plan is to hire a new dedicated boys' team coach in the spring. (Which, by the way, would be a GREAT job for a young ambitious coach who wants eventually to be a program director for a boys' team with a strong core of young, very enthusiastic athletes with solid basic skills . . . )

Generally at our gym it's about 10 kids to 1 coach. Sometimes less kids. We are part of a larger sports complex so there are always lots of adults around.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back