Parents HS gymnasts/parent input needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
Not sure if I titled this correctly!

My daughter is training Level 9 and will be starting HS in the fall.

Thus far, she has managed school work and gym hours (20, increasing to 23 next fall) just fine overall.

Her middle school didn't have any clubs so pretty much her activity was school/practice and relaxing :)

I have friends with kiddos who are not gymnasts but juniors/seniors. They all tell me that in HS it's important for them to be 'involved' as colleges look at what they've done.

Anyone out there with a senior who can speak to the college app process?

I'm curious if colleges see that a girl was at practice 20ish hours a week....don't they realize that's a big enough committment?!

My daughter is always on the High Honor roll, so I guess if things continue that way, she will be in National Honor Society....

She is hoping to join the HS gymnastics team, so she will have a winter sport at school.

That's some involvement, anyway!

It seems so strange to plan now as she's only just going to begin HS....but I feel like I'd love some perspective from those who have BTDT.

Mostly, I want her to do well in school and be happy, enjoying the experience!

thanks!

My guidance counselor explained the importance of being "involved" to me this way: People always think that colleges want "well-rounded" people, but in reality, they want "pointy" people. This means that they would rather a student have a few things that they are committed to and excellent at than a ton of activities that they are mediocre at. Obviously on your daughter's resume for college she would be able to play up her own strengths, and could include the number of hours per week that she does gymnastics, and also placements at big meets like states.

I'm going to be a senior next year, but I have three brothers that are currently in college. I do highschool gymnastics, pole vault and level 9 club gymnastics, and it is a HUGE time commitment. However, I love high school gymnastics so much, I couldn't imagine not doing it. I'm going to be captain next year, and the team was an overall amazing experience for me, I would highly recommend it. It is, however, worth mentioning that I have been a level 9 for three years, and because of high school sports I have not progressed much in my skills at all for the past few years.

I really wouldn't worry about the involvement at this point, because as you said, gymnastics is a big time commitment. If there are any clubs that interest her, she should obviously join them but it isn't vital for getting into college. I definitely recommend high school gymnastics, it is a nice change from club.

Good luck to your daughter, I'm sure she'll be fine! Sounds like she's doing great with her grades.

We're not quite there yet, and I don't even remember where I heard this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I heard that colleges are now more interested in kids who make a commitment to one thing and do it well than they are in kids who are in every club and on every team. I'm sure that stuck in my head (wherever I heard it) because my DD is an "all gym, all the time" kind of kid, and I've wondered the same thing. How can you possibly do more than do gymnatics and get good grades? If you can just manage those two things, it seems like that's already a huge accomplishment. Sure, maybe that's enough if you are going to school on a gymnastics scholarship, but what about the other 90% of gymnasts? I will be interested in the responses you get to this question.

And also, our HS team has equipment held together by duct tape and chewing gum. I love the idea of DD doing HS gym and being a part of a school team, but the reality of it scares me a bit...

I attended a "What you need to know about college application process" parent session last year hosted by my dd's school. The speaker was the admissions director at a very prestigious college. He addressed this issue telling us that colleges no longer are looking at the amount of activities and that they are now looking at depth of commitment. Some top colleges are now even limiting their applications to only listing 3 extra-curricular activities. I asked specifically about by dd's situation (doing only gymnastics) and he said that was a prime example of exactly what they are looking for as it shows passion and commitment.

Not sure if I titled this correctly!

My daughter is training Level 9 and will be starting HS in the fall.

Thus far, she has managed school work and gym hours (20, increasing to 23 next fall) just fine overall.

Her middle school didn't have any clubs so pretty much her activity was school/practice and relaxing :)

I have friends with kiddos who are not gymnasts but juniors/seniors. They all tell me that in HS it's important for them to be 'involved' as colleges look at what they've done.

Anyone out there with a senior who can speak to the college app process?

I'm curious if colleges see that a girl was at practice 20ish hours a week....don't they realize that's a big enough committment?!

My daughter is always on the High Honor roll, so I guess if things continue that way, she will be in National Honor Society....

She is hoping to join the HS gymnastics team, so she will have a winter sport at school.

That's some involvement, anyway!

It seems so strange to plan now as she's only just going to begin HS....but I feel like I'd love some perspective from those who have BTDT.

Mostly, I want her to do well in school and be happy, enjoying the experience!

thanks!

you were given inaccurate information if your child is considering college gymnastics. colleges that recruit for gymnastics will not consider a gymnast doing high school gymnastics. 2nd, colleges don't care if that 20 hours came from club training or high school training. it's the hours they consider when evaluating their GPA.

now, this is only if your daughter has aspirations of making a college team. disregard what i have said otherwise if she only intends on being a non athlete or "normal" college student. NOT a student athlete.:)

Listen to Dunno! We are just starting the college route and from what I have seen colleges want to see the committment to a passion. Club gymnastics is really the only way into the college world; college coaches visit club meets and I haven't known any that go to HS meets, but I could be wrong. Frankly, I think the HS Gymnastics team would be detrimental to the club team, but again I could be wrong. Academics are critically important; a college won't recruit an athlete if they can't qualify academically.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info so far....

Just to clarify, my daughter is not looking for a gymnastics college scholarship! Would be nice but she's not on that track. She is 14 and training Level 9 (competed 8 this past season). And while I think she's a terrific gymnast, she's not one of those kids who will make it to a college team!

I was really more thinking how to do well in HS academically with the hours at her club and potential HS gymnastics.

MaryA, many of the HS teams here practice at local clubs because, as you mention, if they had equipment at some stage, it's beyond it's years now! So they share space with club teams....late night craziness!

GymnastBeth, thanks for your insight as a HS student! I think it would be great for my daughter to be on her HS team if it works. I'm sure being part of a HS team is fun for the girls!

I have a family member who just went through the process. Not gymnastics, but another sport with lots of hours. The colleges all said they were looking for 2 in depth commitments other than academics. Things like a sport, church, scouts, self made business, volunteer passion (ex. If you want to be a vet have been volunteering numerous hours at an animal shelter/hospital for several years). What they didn't want is a lot of unconnected activities: drama club one year, track the next, band a third, etc.

So, I do think it is important to have at least 1 other activity, particularly volunteering, to show commitment to the community nut it doesn't have to be a lot of hours. Just have to be doing it for a long period of times... So start now. :)

I have a family member who just went through the process. Not gymnastics, but another sport with lots of hours. The colleges all said they were looking for 2 in depth commitments other than academics. Things like a sport, church, scouts, self made business, volunteer passion (ex. If you want to be a vet have been volunteering numerous hours at an animal shelter/hospital for several years). What they didn't want is a lot of unconnected activities: drama club one year, track the next, band a third, etc.

So, I do think it is important to have at least 1 other activity, particularly volunteering, to show commitment to the community nut it doesn't have to be a lot of hours. Just have to be doing it for a long period of times... So start now. :)

This is good to hear. My daughter does have two close to her heart volunteer/fundraising activities that she has been involved with for a few years. I can def see these continuing when she gets to HS.

I think (hope) colleges will see gymnastics as her main passion and will see these volunteer passions as well.

Crazy to start thinking so young!!

Just finishing my first high school gymnastics season I would highly recommend it. Yes the equipment isn't up to standard, but it was such an amazing experience. You get to meet so many people both on your team and others, because just like club gymnastics, high school gymnastics is such a close knit family. my team practiced at a club gym because we dont have equipment and it worked out fine. granted they were very late nights (practice was from 6-9) i wouldnt take it back for anything. It gives you the opportunity to meet new people from your school and give you the pride of representing your school.
the only major things would be discussing it with your coach before hand, because it will overlap with club season and see if they are ok with it. considering they would be having to balance both club and high school practice and missing some practices to go to the other. As well as i found it pretty hard on my body tumbling on that floor. so i would make sure she is 99% healthy before going into high school season.
if you have any more questions about high school gym i would love to answer them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back